Dragonballs: how do they work and what are the rules?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jochickabee

Dragonballs: how do they work and what are the rules?

Post by jochickabee » Sun May 08, 2005 1:30 pm

I was thinking about why in Mirai Trunk's line, why they couldn't use the Dragonballs to revive people, when I then realized I'd forgotten a lot about how they worked...

So, this probably has been asked before (I'll apologize beforehand), and if someone can direct me to a link or guide to find the answers, I'd much appreciate it.

Here are my assertions/questions:
1) Dragonballs are created by the Nameks, e.g. 1) Piccolo/old Kami 2) Dende 3) Namek Elder
2) In Mirai Trunks' timeline Chikyuu's are tied to Piccolo/old Kami and when he died, they couldn't wish anyone back... (What happend to Dende's Dragonballs?)
3) In that same timeline, couldn't they have traveled to Planet Namek and use Porunga to revive the dead?
4) How many wishes can you make with the Dragonballs (3-Chikyuu/1-3 Namek) and what were the stipulations on number of revivals? Can you use them only yearly?

Again, sorry if this is a redundant post, but I did make a good faith effort to find manga summaries, but I think the rules change throughout the series, and I couldn't keep track.

Heritic
Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragonballs: how do they work and what are the rules?

Post by Heritic » Sun May 08, 2005 1:46 pm

jochickabee wrote:(What happend to Dende's Dragonballs?)
In Future Trunks' timeline, Dende never came to Earth and became the new Kami. Remember, it was Goku who went and got him but Goku in Future Trunks' timeline died from the disease before he could do anything. So in that timeline, Dende's dragonballs don't exist.
jochickabee wrote:3) In that same timeline, couldn't they have traveled to Planet Namek and use Porunga to revive the dead?
If I remember correctly, I don't think anybody ever learned the exact location of the New Namek. I don't know, I might be wrong.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun May 08, 2005 1:55 pm

jochickabee wrote:Trunk's
I've corrected this for other people, too, but it needs to be said.

His name is not "Trunk".
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Aurek
Beyond Newbie

Post by Aurek » Sun May 08, 2005 1:59 pm

The Black Star Dragonballs also had me somewhat confused. What was their origin, and did the evil dragons emerge from them or the normal ones, I cant quite remimber.

Heritic
Beyond Newbie

Post by Heritic » Sun May 08, 2005 2:21 pm

The Black Star Dragonballs were supposedly made before Kami and Piccolo split up. The evil dragons didn't come from them, they came from the normal Dragonballs. Remember, Piccolo died and the Black Star Dragonballs disappeared before the evil dragons showed up. Also the dragons all talked about the wishes that created them, the wishes they talked about, were made with the normal Dragonballs.

Aurek
Beyond Newbie

Post by Aurek » Sun May 08, 2005 2:55 pm

Ah yes I remimber now. The whole plot hole about how the black star dragonballs could have lain around for so long without being discovered etc.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sun May 08, 2005 5:55 pm

Aurek wrote:Ah yes I remimber now. The whole plot hole about how the black star dragonballs could have lain around for so long without being discovered etc.
Well, they would have been rocks until Piccolo and Kami re-fused.

And Pilaf invents a container that shields a Dragonball's energy back in DB, so I think Kamiccolo could make one (that well-thing Pilaf finds the DBs in in DBGT).

Aurek
Beyond Newbie

Post by Aurek » Sun May 08, 2005 6:00 pm

Oh so it does work out. I havent seen the episodes they were introduced in.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun May 08, 2005 7:04 pm

jochickabee wrote: 4) How many wishes can you make with the Dragonballs (3-Chikyuu/1-3 Namek) and what were the stipulations on number of revivals? Can you use them only yearly?
With the Earth balls, at first it's only one, but when Dende upgrades them, they're two wishes. I heard that offscreen he makes it so it's 3 wishes sometime in between the Cell and Buu sagas, but the "third" wish is never made. Because of that, Funi just didn't include for Z. I haven't seen GT, so I can't say. The number of revivals for Earth is only one chance, unless it was a natural death, then as far as things ar concerned, you're just dead, no revival. Though a thing I wondered during the Cell saga,if you were previously revived with the Namek balls, could you be revived by the Earth balls? It was never really addressed.

Gamingdevil
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gamingdevil » Mon May 09, 2005 1:41 am

It should be possible, since the actual statement is "the Dragon doensn't grant the same wish 2 times" So as long as Shenlong didn't revive you yet, you can be revived.
Who said life isn't a game?

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Mon May 09, 2005 4:26 am

Which can't be the actual rule. As that has loop-holes:

Wish: "Revive Goku!"

Wish: "Revive everyone killed on Namek!" (assuming Goku died there)

Wish: "Revive everyone killed by Cell!"

As you can see, all different wishes, yet only the first one could revive Goku.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Mon May 09, 2005 9:07 am

jochickabee wrote:I was thinking about why in Mirai Trunk's line, why they couldn't use the Dragonballs to revive people, when I then realized I'd forgotten a lot about how they worked...
You can just stop right now.

1)Piccolo died so Kami died. Hence no more Dragonballs.
2)Dende never became gaurdian in Trunks' timeline.
3)By the time Trunks and Gohan wouldve gone to Namek and collected all the dragonballs, Earth wouldve been destroyed by the androids.

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Mon May 09, 2005 11:51 am

A few things I'd like to know about the Dragonballs that I was planning a seperate topic for, but I guess this is good enough:

Does anybody have a knowledge/listing of where each Dragon Ball was found, and what each wish made with them were (canon and noncanon findings and wishes)?
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

Ash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ash » Mon May 09, 2005 12:04 pm

There is such a listing in Dragon Ball Landmark for the first half of the series, so I guess there's one in Dragon Ball Forever too.

But, I can't read Japanese, so I can't translate it for you. Someone else? ^^
[i]"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth"[/i] - The Lamp of God, Ellery Queen

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon May 09, 2005 2:03 pm

The S wrote:A few things I'd like to know about the Dragonballs that I was planning a seperate topic for, but I guess this is good enough:

Does anybody have a knowledge/listing of where each Dragon Ball was found, and what each wish made with them were (canon and noncanon findings and wishes)?
The only noncanon wishes were made in GT or the movies. Aside from those, there are no wishes made in the anime only.

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Mon May 09, 2005 10:04 pm

The only noncanon wishes were made in GT or the movies. Aside from those, there are no wishes made in the anime only.
Exactly.
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!