Who do you count as main antagonist?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GreggMays64
Not-So-Newbie

Who do you count as main antagonist?

Post by GreggMays64 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:29 am

Every Shonen Jump with a fighting genre has these memorable convections of main antagonist. Like One Piece has Buggy, Kuro, Don Kreig, Arlong, Wapol, Crocodile, etc. Naruto has Zabuza, Orochimaru, and Madara. Bleach has Byakuya, Aizen, and whoever is meant to be the main antagonist next. Who would you consider main antagonist for Dragon Ball?

Pilaf
-Mai
-Shu

Commander Red
-Assistant Black
-Tao Pai Pai
-General Blue
-General White
-Sergent Metallic
-Sergent Muraski
-Buyon
-General Copper
-Captain Silver
-Captain Violet
-Captain Yellow

Piccolo Daimao
-Piano
-Drum
-Tamborine
-Cymbal

Freeza
-Captain Ginyu
-Jheese
-Burter
-Recoom
-Gurd
-Zarbon
-Dodoria
-Vegeta
-Nappa
-Raditz

-Cell
Android #20
-Android #19
-Android #18
-Android #17
-Android #16

-Majin Boo (Good/Bad)
Babidi
-Dabra
-Yakon
-Pui Pui
-Spopovich
-Yamu

SylentEcho
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Who do you count as main antagonist?

Post by SylentEcho » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:09 am

Unlike Orochimaru for Naruto part 1 and Aizen for Bleach, Dragon Ball never had a main antagonist. All villians got defeated in their respective arcs and none returned. Except Pilaf lol. :lol:

GreggMays64
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GreggMays64 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:05 am

SylentEcho wrote:Unlike Orochimaru for Naruto part 1 and Aizen for Bleach, Dragon Ball never had a main antagonist. All villians got defeated in their respective arcs and none returned. Except Pilaf lol. :lol:
I guess I should have added an "s" at the end. Although the first arc of Naruto was nothing more than an intro arc, the second arc did introduce the first main antagonist Zabuza. Then the two arcs are nothing more than a tournament arc. It does introduce Orochimaru, and they do fight three of his minions, Dosu, Zaku, Kin, and in fact Orochimaru does play an important role. Gaara is the boss at the end (Jackie Chun, Tenshinhan, Piccolo), even if the tournament gets screwed up, all while Orochimaru is the main villain. He's the main villain through out most of the series and the beginning part of Naruto Shippuden until he has his showdown with Naruto. After that, he isn't one anymore. He's more like Cyborg Freeza, and gets slayed by Sasuke. Then Madara becomes the main villain.

Bleach is kind of weird. The first arc is an intro arc, and you could say the Grand Fisher was the first main antagonist. I consider Byakuya the first main antagonist. Sure he isn't a villain, nor is he the leader of the group he's in besides being above Renji, but he's still the main threat to Ichigo and is the main force that comes against him. Gotei 13 in general was the main antagonist, while Aizen, Gin, and Kaname pretended they were apart of the group. Then Aizen becomes the main villain, with lackies like Grimmjow having their own arcs like Vegeta in Dragon Ball or Mr. 3 and Miss Goldenweek from One Piece.

Dragon Ball
Pilaf, Commander Red, Piccolo Daimao, Freeza, Cell, Majin Boo

Naruto
Zabuza, Orochimaru, Madara

Bleach
Byakuya, Aizen

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:32 am

The main antagonists of Dragon Ball are the Red Ribbon Army (or just Commander Red, if you wish), Piccolo Daimao, Ma Junior (or you can count Daimao and Ma Junior as just Piccolo as a whole), Vegeta, Freeza, Cell and Majin Boo. I don't count Pilaf, Jackie Chun or Tenshinhan as antagonists, for obvious reasons.
Last edited by Piccolo Daimao on Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:27 am, edited 6 times in total.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

SSJ YUSUKE
Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJ YUSUKE » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:32 pm

For some reason I've always thought of Dr Gero as the main villian in the Cell saga, I know he really isn't but I think that his whole in the saga is very underrated.
He was the one who created the androids in the first place to get revenge on Goku, it was he who created Cell as his perfect creation.
So even though I would consider Cell to be the main antagonist it can't be denied that Dr Gero was the real brains or evil mastermind in the saga.

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:21 pm

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:45 pm

Zabuza's a main antagonist now?
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

Zionist
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zionist » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:45 pm

DB - Piccolo (Both Daimo and Jr.)

Z - Frieza
Rocketman wrote:Who gives a shit about a Broly fan's feelings.
Zoms wrote:That moment when you relate your ship to glass tubes...

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:56 pm

For some reason, Freeza stands out.
Though his less than epic final moment at the hands of Trunks kinda diminishes his impact as a villain in the story as a whole.
The Worf effect is really overused in DB :(

GreggMays64
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GreggMays64 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:21 pm

Dr.Gero is like Spandam from One Piece. The leader of the group he's in, but not the main threat. It's like Broly and Paragus.

-Hell Fighter 17

-Cell
Android 20
-Android 19
-Android 18
-Android 17
-Android 16

-Android 15
-Android 14
-Android 13

(Maybe)
-Android 12
-Android 11
-Android 10
-Android 09

-Android 08

(Maybe)
-Android 07
-Android 06
-Android 05
-Android 04
-Android 03
-Android 02
-Android 01
AgitoZ wrote:Zabuza's a main antagonist now?
Did you not watch Dragon Ball in Japanese? It's pretty damn clear that he was. He was behind everything. He had an organization that's there to troll Goku just for the lulz. He's also honorable too. That's why he started out with his weaker one, Pilaf.

Plus, the super rare Daizenshuu 8 is dedicated towards Zabuza, and his minions Haku, Gozu, and Meizu. He's stronger than you think in Naruto, as he is able to go from one series to another.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:06 pm

There isn't one.

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:15 pm

Pokewhiz7 wrote:There isn't one.
Just this. You simply can't name one antagonist as the main one of the series, each only had a strong importance for the series in their respective arc. By the end of the series the repercussions of no previous villain's actions were being felt, but you still can't call Boo the main villain as he's the last one, as the story doesn't seem to lead up to him at all. Apart from the characterization and all that jazz, any of the major arcs of the series could be taken out of its source and have a conclusive beginning and end.

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:29 pm

Freeza if we're talking just Z, if you're talking about the whole series, then Dr. Gero. He worked with the Red Ribbon Army and created androids in DB, and after that he designed androids who's sole purposes were to defeat Goku. Gero is a pretty big one.

GreggMays64
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GreggMays64 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:34 pm

As I've said, I should have added an "s" at the end. The whole purpose is who would you list as the main antagonists. Dragon Ball doesn't have one, I know. There are plenty of them. Piccolo Daimao, Freeza, Majin Boo, etc. List off the guys you would list.

For example.
-Pilaf
-Commander Red
-Piccolo Daimao
-Freeza
-Cell
-Majin Boo

Or if you want to include Dragon Ball GT.
-Bebi
-Hell Fighter#17
-Yi Xing Long

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:06 am

If each arc has its own antagonist, then it's pretty simple.
  • Pilaf
  • This tournament doesn't really have an antagonist.
  • The entire Red Ribbon Army
  • Tenshinhan
  • Piccolo Daimao
  • Piccolo
  • Vegeta
  • Freeza
  • Cell
  • Majin Boo
Let me know if I missed anybody.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:28 am

There really isn't one, but if I were forced to cite one down, I'd probably have to say it's Dr. Gero (at least in the anime universe).

Dragon Ball ~ Red Ribbon Army Arc
Dragon Ball Z ~ Cell Arc
Dragon Ball GT ~ Super 17 Arc
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Silver Sinspawn
Advanced Regular

Post by Silver Sinspawn » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:04 am

Piccolo and Frieza
Oh, you think the Grand Tour is your ally, you merely stepped into the Grand Tour. I was born in it, moulded by it. I didn’t see the Super until I was already a man; by then, it was nothing to me but blinding!

Ussj Future Trunks
Regular

Post by Ussj Future Trunks » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:11 am

Gero was responsible for a good portion of the series, probably more than freeza.
Simian upstart...none surpass me. No one even comes close! BURN THIS INTO YOUR MIND! I am emperor of the universe. The likes of you are only fit to grovel at my feet. Or better still...to be crushed...LIKE AN INSECT AT THE WHIM OF YOUR MASTER!

- Freeza, DBZ Kai.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:40 am

If you were to go with Kai, then Freeza would be the obvious choice, despite the Cell saga still being there.

I say this because it introduces us to Freeza before Raditz or Vegeta or any of the villains.

At for the regular series.... I wouldn't say it has a main antagonist. Dragon Ball did well to avoid putting all its eggs in one basket.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:56 pm

Kingdom Heartless wrote:If you were to go with Kai, then Freeza would be the obvious choice, despite the Cell saga still being there.

I say this because it introduces us to Freeza before Raditz or Vegeta or any of the villains.

At for the regular series.... I wouldn't say it has a main antagonist. Dragon Ball did well to avoid putting all its eggs in one basket.
Well, Cell was partially composed of Freeza's cells.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.