The greatest battle in Dragon Ball

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Re: The greatest battle in Dragon Ball

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:13 pm

Even if the anime pulled a few strings to make it better, I've always been biased towards Kid/Chibi Buu. Much like Cell, Toriyama pulled an epic finale out of a mess of a plot.

It's made painfully clear that everything will die if Buu lives, the battlefield is basically at the end of existence with the guardians of the universe watching on, Goku is fighting all out with a power implied to be ridiculous by the series' own standards, jumping back and forth between loving the challenge of an enemy tailor-made for him and cursing Buu's resilience, Vegeta pretty much becomes Goku's brother from another mother after dropping the angst, we get to see just how stupid the Dragon Ball populace is (Going with Vegeta on that one), and the Spirit Bomb final gets some properly built, non-movie time in the spotlight after it's made adequately clear that there really isn't another way.
Gaffer Tape wrote:Was that a TFS reference/joke?
I shall proceed to ruin it

Dragon Ball Kai Abridged Part 1:

Goku: Ah, he took my son!
Piccolo: I'm here to help you!
Goku: Aren't we enemies?
Piccolo: Nobody watched Dragon Ball, let's go!
Gaffer Tape wrote:The fight with Nappa and Vegeta. Most well done. Most emotionally-driven. Most, for lack of a better term, realistic. There is a build. All the characters get to do stuff and haven't yet found the stupid terrible idea of exclusively one-on-one fights. There isn't some huge build-up of multiple characters having a huge, massive power-up only to fail. There is an awesome feeling of despair. I could probably go on about it all day, but it's the last fight that doesn't have all the trappings and cliches that DBZ would become known for.
To count that as a "fight" wouldn't being doing it justice; that was an event. I'd count both that scene and the Cell games, which is the only other time Z really catches that tone again, only made more impressive that we had a clear-cut final battle after the twistiest arc in the series, two of the series highest points.

The Saiyan fight because it introduced the brutality and power that Z villains would operate with, and the results of failure against this new caliber of enemy; death, and lots of it. Even if you saw Z first and first half second, you could see the violent tone change; I remember Bulma's grabbing the frame of the crew at the 23rd and asking "What happened?" The Cell games because the whole thing is borrowed time; the love of the battle Goku's genes gave Cell was the only reason the crew was still alive, and Cell could cut the facade at a moment's notice, as he does when Gohan snaps.
Kid Buu wrote:I realize I am in the minority here with my vote, but I really enjoy both of Gohan's bouts with Super Buu. You can just feel the brutality in the punches in that match.
I think people put a bit too much stock in that Buu's beat him with a stupid trick; to see Gohan maxed out with intent to kill, but a completely clear mind going- versus bursting with power but momentarily becoming Vegeta against Cell- was a great way to complete his character. Hitting Buu so hard that he has an identity crisis has to count for something.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

Ussj Future Trunks
Regular

Post by Ussj Future Trunks » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:30 pm

I would say Goku vs Piccolo Jr is the greatest battle. Goku vs Freeza was boring and overlong.
Simian upstart...none surpass me. No one even comes close! BURN THIS INTO YOUR MIND! I am emperor of the universe. The likes of you are only fit to grovel at my feet. Or better still...to be crushed...LIKE AN INSECT AT THE WHIM OF YOUR MASTER!

- Freeza, DBZ Kai.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:00 pm

Earth vs the Saiyans, there's just no contest.

As great as the Goku vs Piccolo fight is, it's still a tournament match. Goku wins because he knocks Piccolo out of the ring. Piccolo was willing to abide by the tourney rules, and Goku talks several times about keeping to them. And then at the end both get revived with senzu and everybody's fine.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:11 pm

Rocketman wrote:As great as the Goku vs Piccolo fight is, it's still a tournament match. Goku wins because he knocks Piccolo out of the ring. Piccolo was willing to abide by the tourney rules, and Goku talks several times about keeping to them. And then at the end both get revived with senzu and everybody's fine.
I think you're downplaying its impact. I don't think it really matters whether or not it's a tournament match, as what matters is quality, choreography and drive. Goku does win because he knocks Piccolo out of the ring, but at the end, Piccolo was still either unconscious or half-conscious, whereas Goku, while severely injured, was conscious.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:32 pm

Perhaps Goku tought he won because he knocked Piccolo out of the ring, but Piccolo wouldn't accept that if he wasn't half-dead at the point.

Monkey D Goku
Beyond Newbie

Post by Monkey D Goku » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:59 pm

I really enjoyed the Goku vs Frieza fight it was really epic on a destroyed planet and all but the whole planet namek is going to blow up in 5 min really bothered me.

I think the greatest battle would probably be Goku vs Vegeta unseen in the timeline where dragonball online almost begins it is said that Goku and Vegeta sensed their deaths were near and went to go do battle one last time. That line just seems epic to me. The last two full blooded sayians and their ends.
Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear Leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering - Yoda

I use to be a adventurer like you,till I took an arrow in the knee - Generic Skyrim Guard

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:05 pm

I think it's interesting because it's a tournament match. The end of the round just happened to coincide with the end of the battle. If Piccolo had been conscious after getting kicked out of the ring and well enough to fight I'm pretty sure he would have finished them, tournament winner or not.

Going all out, yet being limited by rules at the same time, was what made this battle different. It's the reason Cell gave up on them because they complicated things.

So yes, Piccolo Jr. vs Goku is my favorite battle.
-
Saiyans vs. Earth is close second, though strangely, I like it most before Goku enters the scene. For some reason Goku vs. Vegeta one on one seemed less exciting for me than Nappa vs. everyone else.

Goku vs. Freeza is up there too.

ET93
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ET93 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:46 pm

It's a real tough one choosing the greatest battle to be honest. So many battles were of a high caliber - that's what makes DB/Z the anime we love. Goku vs Jackie Chun/Piccolo/Tenshinhan were brilliant - I've always been a sucker for tournament based fights. Which is why I also love the Cell saga. But than there's also Earth vs the Saiyans which was epic - literally a fight to the end. And who can forget Freeza vs Goku, possibly the most iconic and memorable battle from DBZ. There are also many more. Honestly though I think its impossible to have a greatest, as it really depends on what you consider to be great. But, even typing about these fights makes me wanna' go a re-watch DB/Z again.