Potential of Future Gohan

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

vegetaslegacy15
Beyond Newbie

Potential of Future Gohan

Post by vegetaslegacy15 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:33 am

In the series Gohan obviously had a lot of potential. But his future self, as in the one from the future timeline with the andrioids, never reached the same level of power as Cell Saga Gohan did. My question is could future Gohan have reached the same levels of power are Gohan did?
Horgus wrote:NSSJ2O... Nitrogen Sulfur Shounen Jump Dioxide? :?
digireign wrote:I vote to call it "Super Cyan."
-zach

CaBrPi
Advanced Regular

Re: potential of future Gohan

Post by CaBrPi » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:57 am

There's no reason he couldn't have. Aside from, you know, being dead.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:28 am

He had every bit as much potential as his "prime" timeline self. Unfortunately, he lacked the help and circumstances that his not-killed-by-Anroids counterpart ended up with. Everybody else strong in the world was dead, and even Super Saiyan Trunks was probably not nearly powerful enough to be a decent sparring partner for him yet, given that Gohan could evidently fend him off in his base form...
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:46 am

The power Gohan gained in the main timeline is mostly because of the full-power Super Saiyan training of Goku. The Gohan from the future was "stuck" in that level of power the same way Vegeta was after he was defeated by no.18.

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:23 am

I'm sure he had the same potential as present Gohan. However due to Goku and company being dead and as Kaboom mentioned he just lacked the help and circumstances present Gohan had.

In Shin Budokai 2, he does become a SSJ2 and gets his power raised to 'Ultimate' status by the Older Kaioshin.
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Potential of Future Gohan

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:48 pm

Well, I do wonder if future Gohan would've still been able to recieve power from rage like present Gohan, seeing as when Gohan became an adult, he didn't. Although that could be put down to his lack of training.

Either way, I do think that future Gohan has the same amount of potential as present Gohan. It's just that he didn't have the RoSaT, his friends, the torture of them and the death of an Android to boost him up the level of present Gohan.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

vegetaslegacy15
Beyond Newbie

Post by vegetaslegacy15 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:18 pm

Thanks guys!!!!
Well where do you think future Gohan was power wise? Like was at the same level as Vegeta and Goku during the fight with 19 and 20 or was he way below that?
Horgus wrote:NSSJ2O... Nitrogen Sulfur Shounen Jump Dioxide? :?
digireign wrote:I vote to call it "Super Cyan."
-zach

CaBrPi
Advanced Regular

Post by CaBrPi » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:24 pm

vegetaslegacy15 wrote:Thanks guys!!!!
Well where do you think future Gohan was power wise? Like was at the same level as Vegeta and Goku during the fight with 19 and 20 or was he way below that?
I don't think he'd even be that high, with no good sparring partners. He'd probably be around the same level of Trunks when he came back and demolished Freeza and King Cold.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:43 pm

vegetaslegacy15 wrote:Thanks guys!!!!
Probably slightly weaker than future Trunks at his first appearance.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:12 pm

The thing you have to understand is they are two different timelines that diverged at a crucial point in time. Along with being different timelines you could say they are alternate universes. If you compare both of them then are major differences. For example, the androids are less evil, in Trunks timeline they were destroying everything like killing machines. In Goku's timeline they don't really do much destroying and even spare the Z warriors lives. Something that didn't happen in Trunks timeline. Then there's the fact that Goku is alive, due to Goku being alive Gohan was pushed to get SSJ at a very young age. A lot of Gohan's potential was shown when he was young, as Gohan grew up he became unable to tap into that strength that he had during the Cell Games. It probably didn't help that he neglected to train but the fact still remains that he turned into all the other characters of the series, being that they have nothing to tap into and have to bridge the gap in strength through sheer training(Until the Elder Kai enters the picture and releases his hidden potential of course).

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:32 pm

vegetaslegacy15 wrote:Well where do you think future Gohan was power wise? Like was at the same level as Vegeta and Goku during the fight with 19 and 20 or was he way below that?
Future Gohan seemed to claim that he wasn't even as strong as Goku had been when he died.
Chapter: TTS, P2.5
Context: Trunks commented on how Gohan’s gi made Bulma think of Goku.
Future Gohan: “I made it hoping it would make me as strong as dad was before he died… But I guess it’s not that easy.”
Goku was supposed to get his heart disease "soon" after returning from space in that timeline, so I suppose he didn't have the chance to get much stronger than he had been after Yardrat. I guess Future Gohan could have been around Goku's level from when he fought Freeza on Namek, if that?
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:18 pm

I think Future Gohan is stronger than Super Saiyan Goku when he fought Freeza, but weaker than Trunks after he trained for 3 yrs to fight the Androids.
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:08 pm

It seems if only he was patient and trained a bit longer with Trunks, they could have maybe killed the androids.

CaBrPi
Advanced Regular

Post by CaBrPi » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:09 pm

Jackal puFF wrote:It seems if only he was patient and trained a bit longer with Trunks, they could have maybe killed the androids.
No, I doubt that. But if they'd consulted Mr. Popo, they might've been able to use the ROSAT, and not get utterly demolished.

Gogeta8001
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gogeta8001 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:34 pm

I'm really glad that he didn't have "potential". I liked Future Gohan because he actually trained to get his power unlike present Gohan who wen't through the whole "Mystic crap" to get his power.

The whole "hidden power" stuff got really, really stale after awhile.

Mystic Gohan just made Gohan very unlikable.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:24 pm

Hitiro wrote:The thing you have to understand is they are two different timelines that diverged at a crucial point in time. Along with being different timelines you could say they are alternate universes.
Definitely. In Trunk's timeline Goku was the one who Killed Frieza on Earth instead of Trunks. I would have loved to have seen how that played out.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:25 am

Jackal puFF wrote:It seems if only he was patient and trained a bit longer with Trunks, they could have maybe killed the androids.
Like CaBrPi, I doubt that too. And I don't think it's in Gohan's personality to just stand there and do nothing (as in, not intervene) while the Androids destroyed Earth and killed innocents. Training may've been the best course of action, as the ends could justify the means (i.e. eventually be able to kill the Androids rather than get himself killed and leave more people to be killed without him to stop it), but besides, Gohan had a fallback plan: Trunks. It was probably a gamble, but he believed that Trunks could even surpass him in a few months.
Strength Checker wrote:Chapter: TTS, P2.1
Context: Base Gohan was sparring with Super Saiyan Trunks. With his one arm…
Future Gohan: “You’ve improved a lot, Trunks. You might even leave me in the dust in a few months.”

In Brightest Day
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by In Brightest Day » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:39 am

Was the fate of the Lookout ever confirmed in the future? If it wasn't ever touched, then why didn't Mr. Popo just fly down and say "uh, hey. I've got this place that can give you a years training in a day. If you could hurry up and use it that'd be great. Sincerely Popo." 8)

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:50 am

We're never told anything about the lookout from the future, but I honestly think it was destroyed. I always had a feeling the Androids took out Karin in the future, so it's possible that they took out Popo while they were up there.
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

In Brightest Day
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by In Brightest Day » Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:06 am

But how could they possibly know where the lookout was? I thought it was stated that Dr. Gero only spied on the Z-Fighters during their major battles.

Edit: Fully acknowledging that is somewhat going off-topic here.