Piccolo's Revival - Combining 2 wishes into 1?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gonstead
I Live Here

Piccolo's Revival - Combining 2 wishes into 1?

Post by Gonstead » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:28 pm

So I was thinking...

Wouldn't it be possible if Gohan and Krillin asked Porunga to revive Piccolo on Namek instead of using 1 wish for reviving and the second to transport him to Namek?

If worded correctly, this would have given them 2 extra wishes.

What do you think?
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Piccolo's Revival - Combining 2 wishes into 1?

Post by Saiga » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:36 pm

Well, it was Piccolo's idea in the first place and it was already an utterly stupid idea, so I don't think you can expect him to think of a way to word it as one wish. :lol:
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:41 pm

Piccolo: Wish me back to life on Namek

In that, your having him revived alongside transporting him to Namek. Pretty simple IMO.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:03 pm

Gonstead wrote:Piccolo: Wish me back to life on Namek

In that, your having him revived alongside transporting him to Namek. Pretty simple IMO.
I don't think that would work, it's the same reason why bringing back Krillin was split into two wishes. Krillin died on Namek so to make sure he came back to Earth because Namek had been destroyed they wished him to Earth's check-in station before reviving him. I don't think the dragons can do two different tasks at the same time. However, the dragons seem to be capable of reproducing the same wish with variations in one wish. Such as the wish they used to bring Krillin to Earth's check-in station also included Goku but he wasn't dead so that part of the wish was Null. Perhaps it depends on how powerful the wish which will determine whether you can squeeze more than one wish into it. Subsequently Porunga could only bring back one person at a time so there are rules to the types of wishes the dragon can grant in succession. Though Porunga does get an upgrade in the Buu Saga for bringing back more than one person to for a single wish. I guess a wish like moving somebody across thousands of light years while bringing them back to life at the same time is just too powerful a wish for the dragons to grant.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 am

No matter how you word it, the meaning of the sentence implies 2 wishes. I don't think Porunga wouldn't catch on
:lol:
Well, it was Piccolo's idea in the first place and it was already an utterly stupid idea, so I don't think you can expect him to think of a way to word it as one wish.
His stupid idea saved everyone.

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:29 am

Michsi wrote:No matter how you word it, the meaning of the sentence implies 2 wishes. I don't think Porunga wouldn't catch on
:lol:
Well, it was Piccolo's idea in the first place and it was already an utterly stupid idea, so I don't think you can expect him to think of a way to word it as one wish.
He would catch on but like I said it depends on the wish, he obviously had to take his power into consideration when he's granting wishes. If you ask him to bring back more than one person in a single wish pre-buu saga he wouldn't be able to because his power isn't strong enough for that wish. If you ask him to move two or more people across the universe to another planet in a single wish he can. It all depends on how costly it is to him.

We know he has no problem moving more than one spirit to different check-in stations because, if Goku were dead, he would have fulfilled the wish to bring both Krillin and Goku back to Earth's check-in station. So obviously that doesn't require that much power. But trying to get him to bring back a person and then summon them to another planet exceeds his power of a single wish, it might be possible by Shenron because he has the power to bring back everyone on a planet. Because naturally if he can bring that many people back at once then bringing back a single person and moving them is easy. Unfortunately we know Porunga at the time couldn't exceed bringing back more than one person so that was obviously his limit for having the ability of three wishes plus the unlimited bring backs for a single person. As long as the sum of the tasks in the wish do not exceed the power of that wish he's fine.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:28 am

Michsi wrote:
Only because he fused with Nail, which wasn't his idea.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:32 am

But getting on Namek was his idea and he couldn't have fused with Nail otherwise.

He would catch on but like I said it depends on the wish, he obviously had to take his power into consideration when he's granting wishes. If you ask him to bring back more than one person in a single wish pre-buu saga he wouldn't be able to because his power isn't strong enough for that wish. If you ask him to move two or more people across the universe to another planet in a single wish he can. It all depends on how costly it is to him.

We know he has no problem moving more than one spirit to different check-in stations because, if Goku were dead, he would have fulfilled the wish to bring both Krillin and Goku back to Earth's check-in station. So obviously that doesn't require that much power. But trying to get him to bring back a person and then summon them to another planet exceeds his power of a single wish, it might be possible by Shenron because he has the power to bring back everyone on a planet. Because naturally if he can bring that many people back at once then bringing back a single person and moving them is easy. Unfortunately we know Porunga at the time couldn't exceed bringing back more than one person so that was obviously his limit for having the ability of three wishes plus the unlimited bring backs for a single person. As long as the sum of the tasks in the wish do not exceed the power of that wish he's fine.
I think this one wish per dead person rule is limited to this particular wish. Dende stated that namakians are generally against this so it stands to reason they'd somehow want to keep people from abusing that wish. On the other hand, he healed Kuririn's wounds when he brough him back on his own so I don't think it's related to his power, but to the keeping to the rules.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:42 am

Michsi wrote:
But getting on Namek was his idea and he couldn't have fused with Nail otherwise.
But his idea was still stupid, because he hadn't counted on that. That's all I'm saying.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:57 am

Saiga wrote:But his idea was still stupid, because he hadn't counted on that. That's all I'm saying.
Unless , of course, he could have actually made a difference against Freeza even without fusing, which we once debated before.

Yes, putting himself in harms way when so many depended on Shenlong might not have been the right thing to do, but aside from Gohan and Goku , I seriously doubt he particullary cared about anybody else.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:31 pm

I don't think wording two wishes into one would work, because Shenlong or Porunga would realize that it would still require the power of two wishes, since "Wish me back to life on Namek" still requires the Dragon God to revive them and transport them to Namek.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.