The fate of the frog

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

The fate of the frog

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:33 pm

Does anyone feel sorry for that frog who was trapped in Ginyu's body? It would be practically stuck in a wounded body for the rest of its life. If it didn't subsequently die from its injury or Namek's crumbling stability after Freeza destroyed its core, it presumably would've been transported off Namek to Earth, but then it may not have survived in a somewhat different environment. If he did, then maybe he was taken in by Dr. Brief, healed and kept as a pet. Either way, we didn't see it hopping around, which could've been because it wasn't important enough to warrant an appearance or Toriyama simply forgot. So perhaps it's more than likely that he just died on Namek.
Last edited by Piccolo Daimao on Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Re: The fate of the frog

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:49 pm

I don't remember seeing him in Earth where everyone were transported, so it's very likely that he fell from a cliff to the lava, or during an explosion on the exploding Namek.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

FNF
Temporarily Banned

Post by FNF » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:52 pm

I don't feel sorry for anime frogs in the same way I don't feel sorry for this anime grape-hippo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_9ZrsV7AFY

Real frogs on the other hand...
Voltaire: "I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it."

Other username on forums;
'Cocoman'

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:20 pm

Each time a Ki blast is fired in the series plenty of animals dies. The frog did not had the worst fate...

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:28 pm

Fox666 wrote:Each time a Ki blast is fired in the series plenty of animals dies. The frog did not had the worst fate...
Do we know that, though? They may've just dissipated, and obviously, we do see moments where characters fire the Kamehameha and then it just thins out afterwards, or when they target the opponent or divert its path away into space (e.g. Vegeta's Final Flash).
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:31 pm

But we see many times Ki attacks being deflected to lands or the sea. No.17 even mocked Piccolo for destroying that island.

FNF
Temporarily Banned

Post by FNF » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:44 pm

Piccolo does not care for wildlife :P
Voltaire: "I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it."

'Cocoman'

Eire
Advanced Regular

Post by Eire » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:46 pm

In series he was seen in Brief's sunlit garden so he was transported. I've always assumed that he died after Boo destroyed Earth and wasn't resurrected, because unlike his former colleague he didn't managed to impregnate Bulma.

FNF how many frogs did you help by picking them and carry across the roads?
Per aspera ad astra, man!

Women belong in the kitchen.
Men belong in the kitchen.
Everyone belongs in the kitchen, the kitchen has food

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:53 pm

Eire wrote:In series he was seen in Brief's sunlit garden so he was transported.
Wasn't that Ginyu in the frog's body, though? I'm talking about the frog in Ginyu's body. Admittedly, I haven't seen that part in the anime, but I've only ever heard people talk about Ginyu in the frog's body making a filler appearance.

Eire
Advanced Regular

Post by Eire » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:07 pm

Yes, it was the Ginyu canned in frog, my bad. The frog probably shared the fate of the fishes and pretty female that had crush on Ginyu :(

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:45 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the wish to "Transport everyone except Goku and Frieza from Namek to Earth." Last time I checked animals have a consciousness and are technically people themselves. The word everyone does not apply to only Humans and Nameks but anything within the context it was used an as such there was no clear definition of what everyone was referring to. If the wish clearly defined what it meant by everyone such as "Transport everyone who can speak English" or "Transport everyone who can walk on two legs" then the animals of the planet wouldn't be included.
Last edited by Hitiro on Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eire
Advanced Regular

Post by Eire » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:51 pm

Animals would be refereed rather as a "everything". We don't see the Earth over-flooded by alien animals.

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:57 pm

I'm pretty sure there was filler in regular Z that showed the frog hopping around the forest shortly after they wished everyone to Earth.

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:59 pm

Eire wrote:Animals would be refereed rather as a "everything". We don't see the Earth over-flooded by alien animals.
We don't see the animals but that doesn't mean they weren't transported. We don't see all the Namekians in the panels of them on earth. That doesn't mean that those Namekians weren't transported to earth. If you look up the definition for "everyone" it refers to creatures too, you don't say "everything of these animals smells" you say "everyone of these animals smells". If you use "everything" where is the clear context of that word? "Everything" could mean the plants, the houses, the tools, the toilets. We know that Porunga will give you a wish but if you don't clearly define stuff then you won't get what you want. An example is Piccolo who was wished to Namek but because they didn't define the actual location they wanted him then he was just randomly teleported to a position on the planet away from Gohan and Krillin.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:05 pm

When Goku was gathering his Genki-Dama, he and/or Goku said that there wasn't much life left on the planet, which is why he had to borrow energy from other planets. And a bunch of animals, such as the frog, could've died from Namek's crumbling instability after Freeza destroyed its core. The wish was to revive everyone killed by Freeza and his men, and presumably, on Namek, Freeza only killed Vegeta, Kuririn and the Namekians, as I doubt he bothered to wipe out every life form on the planet (he only killed them because they wouldn't give him the DBs, and after Kiwi told Vegeta that Freeza had gone to Namek, he said that he was planning on wiping out the planet after he got his wish).

So I have no doubt that animals would be counted in the wish to transport everyone but Goku and Freeza to Earth. Just that there probably weren't many left, if any.

Eire
Advanced Regular

Post by Eire » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:10 pm

Linguistic aside, because animals can be refereed in many ways in different languages and we both don't know extract Japanese phrase. Namekians were told to be small tribe, while their planet was huge. That's never suggested that any animal besides Ginyu frog was transported, nobody mentioned alien animals suddenly appearing on Earth.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:39 pm

Eire wrote:That's never suggested that any animal besides Ginyu frog was transported, nobody mentioned alien animals suddenly appearing on Earth.
Yes, because, like I said, there was little to no life left on Namek, and later, when Namek started breaking up, there was lightning, lava, falling rocks and a big fucking void in the centre that could've killed remaining animals.

FNF
Temporarily Banned

Post by FNF » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:59 pm

Eire wrote: FNF how many frogs did you help by picking them and carry across the roads?
I don't live in an area where there are many frogs. I get the occasional one in my back garden but meh.

In short, none.

'Cocoman'

Wobbuffet
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Wobbuffet » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:52 pm

I felt sorry for the crab that Freeza ate when I watched that scene for the first time.
Sorry, I can't speak English very well, but I'm trying my best.
This is My Anime List.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:16 pm

dario03 wrote:I'm pretty sure there was filler in regular Z that showed the frog hopping around the forest shortly after they wished everyone to Earth.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I've seen that as well.

I'll have to dig out my DVD's and check that episode.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)