How strong is King Yemma?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gonstead
I Live Here

How strong is King Yemma?

Post by Gonstead » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:47 am

Compared to people like the Z warriors, the Villains and other such people etc etc.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Silver Sinspawn
Advanced Regular

Re: How strong is King Yemma?

Post by Silver Sinspawn » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:31 am

Well, he trained with King Kai, and overpowered Raditz.
Oh, you think the Grand Tour is your ally, you merely stepped into the Grand Tour. I was born in it, moulded by it. I didn’t see the Super until I was already a man; by then, it was nothing to me but blinding!

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:33 am

I believe Kami says that King Kai is stronger than King Yemma so if thats true and King Kai didn't get weaker and King Yemma didn't get stronger than him since the time that King Yemma traveled snake way then King Yemma would of been some where between 1500 and 3500 (IIRC thats the strength of Raditz and King Kai).

Though I guess King Kai's Kaio-Ken could of given him a advantage even if King Yemma's power level was a little higher than King Kai's base (but I think King Kai said he never mastered Kaio ken or was that just a dub line?)

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:13 am

Raditz wouldn't have had his body, so overpowering him might not mean anything. Kami does say that he's weaker than Kaio, though, and Kaio admits that he's weaker than Vegeta and Nappa.
dario03 wrote:(but I think King Kai said he never mastered Kaio ken or was that just a dub line?)
That's in the original too, so Kaio is apparently stronger than Enma without it.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:42 pm

But what does it mean to overpower someone? Considering DBZ is it not possible that King Yemma has an ability that far outstrips his battle power? If we look at Tien in the Cell saga there's no way with his battle power could he hold back semi-perfect Cell normally but because Tien had his Kikoho which is arguably one of the strongest moves in the DBZ universe if you take into account Tien's battle power compared to Cell's it must be a pretty powerful technique for him to hold Cell down. Is it not possible for King Yemma to also have a technique similar to Kikoho which beats out most, if not, all of the enemies that show up there?

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:15 pm

The whole "I beat Raditz" thing was supposed to portray Enma as being stronger than Raditz, as this was before the whole thing about bad guys losing souls and heroes keeping theirs came up. After all, this was the very first depiction of the afterlife, and it was only Enma's office. Enma nor God doesn't step in and say, "Yeah, but he was a fluffy little cloud, so it doesn't really matter". Anyway, after Goku asks if he should be trained by him, God replies that Kaio's the stronger of the two anyway.

So, in short: stronger than Raditz, weaker than Kaio.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:50 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:The whole "I beat Raditz" thing was supposed to portray Enma as being stronger than Raditz, as this was before the whole thing about bad guys losing souls and heroes keeping theirs came up. After all, this was the very first depiction of the afterlife, and it was only Enma's office. Enma nor God doesn't step in and say, "Yeah, but he was a fluffy little cloud, so it doesn't really matter". Anyway, after Goku asks if he should be trained by him, God replies that Kaio's the stronger of the two anyway.
But Kami also says, "So he has come, still in flesh form, to receive training from Kaio," and almost everyone else in line is nothing but a soul. Why would Raditz be any different? I guess it's open to interpretation.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Perfect
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Perfect » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:36 pm

I recall Herms saying Enma was exaggerating based on the translation, seeing that Goku asked if Raditz had come by and when Enma stated he had, Goku said he was amazing for beating him.
Last edited by Perfect on Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:31 pm

Havn't they already cleared up by this stage that it is a special circumstance for Goku to have his body?
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

FNF
Temporarily Banned

Post by FNF » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:34 pm

Perfect wrote:I recall Herms saying Enma was exaggerating based on the translation, seeing that Goku asked if Raditz has come by and when Enma stated he had, Goku said he was amazing for beating him.
This basically.

It is like an average US Marine saying "I beat Floyd Mayweather" but in fact he just shot him dead.

Maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration itself but I don't see Yemma being a monster. Goku didn't think much of him before he said he 'beat Raditz' i'm pretty sure.
Voltaire: "I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it."

Other username on forums;
'Cocoman'

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:49 pm

But Kami also suggests Enma is stronger than Raditz.

Perfect

Post by Perfect » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:55 pm

Because Enma trained under Kaio-sama.
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:03 pm

Maybe the reason villains keep their bodies is because their power is far greater than Yemma?
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Perfect

Post by Perfect » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:07 pm

Gonstead wrote:Maybe the reason villains keep their bodies is because their power is far greater than Yemma?
There's nothing that even implies villains do in the manga. In the anime it contradicts three established rules, one of which is filler.

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:34 pm

Besides, as far as the manga goes, Kaioshin should be the strongest guy out there, and there would be no way to stop someone like Cell. Goku even mentions there was nobody strong enough in the afterlife so he could test the fusion.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:37 pm

Bussani wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote:The whole "I beat Raditz" thing was supposed to portray Enma as being stronger than Raditz, as this was before the whole thing about bad guys losing souls and heroes keeping theirs came up. After all, this was the very first depiction of the afterlife, and it was only Enma's office. Enma nor God doesn't step in and say, "Yeah, but he was a fluffy little cloud, so it doesn't really matter". Anyway, after Goku asks if he should be trained by him, God replies that Kaio's the stronger of the two anyway.
But Kami also says, "So he has come, still in flesh form, to receive training from Kaio," and almost everyone else in line is nothing but a soul. Why would Raditz be any different? I guess it's open to interpretation.
I don't know why. Like I said, this was the very first depiction of the afterlife and Toriyama likely hadn't figured out all the rules first. The whole thing about normal folk and bad guys losing their bodies while heroes get to keep theirs is first properly explained in the Cell arc, and beforehand, we just have that easily forgettable line (for someone like Toriyama) followed by a statement heavily implying that Enma overpowered a struggling Raditz. Unlike in Viz, the original's Enma doesn't sound like he's bragging about defeating Raditz to a person that may've simply assumed Raditz retained his body, nor does he or God ever tell him that Raditz was just in his soul form, so it means nothing and even Goku could've subdued him now.

Of course, this is contradicted later by Goku's explanation in the Cell arc, so you could treat it as something of a retcon, or at least a half-retcon, since God's arguably vague line may imply that only certain people get to keep his body. So Raditz could be included as one of those people because he's super-strong, but perhaps later Toriyama realized that this wouldn't work for villains stronger than Enma who could kill him and go wild, so he retconned it so that bad guys wouldn't keep their bodies.

Or, most likely, he just forgot.

Anyway, here it is for reference.
Strength Checker wrote:Chapter: 205 (DBZ 11), P8.4-6
Goku: “Didn’t he struggle?!”
Enma: “He struggled and struggled and struggled, but I subdued him.”
Goku: “Beating that incredible guy…You’re really strong! [to God] Maybe I oughta be trained by him!!”
Kami: “Lower your voice, idiot! Don’t let lord Enma hear you! Kaio-Sama’s the stronger of the two anyway.”
Context: talking about Raditz being sent to Hell
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

bizness86

Post by bizness86 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:28 am

If Enma had anymore feats I would have liked to compare him to Tenshinhan or Piccolo during the Saiyans battle.

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:39 pm

Supposedly Enma is still inferior to Kaio, so he cannot be compared to Piccolo who was as strong as Kaio.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:44 pm

I think I'll randomly plonk at him at 2,000.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:32 pm

I like the idea I had that while his "power level" is in the low thousands, he is invincible in his role as Judge of the Dead.