Is Bardock the Legendary Super Saiyan?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Wobbuffet
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Is Bardock the Legendary Super Saiyan?

Post by Wobbuffet » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:53 am

The explosion of Planet Vegeta ripped the space-time continuum so bad that Bardock was split in two.
One was sent a thousand years to the past, the other was saved by Miira.

This is the explanation I can come up with. :mrgreen:
Sorry, I can't speak English very well, but I'm trying my best.
This is My Anime List.

TTT

Post by TTT » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:04 am

Depends if you think of that crappy special as cannon or not if you do well yes but if you don't than it's no one we know of in the show or manga . The closet we got to see him is some golden great ape or oozaru during the Ginyu saga when Vegeta thought Goku was a super saiyan but that's all it's really up to the viewer if they think Bardock is the Legendary super saiyan .

TheMohawkAndroid

Post by TheMohawkAndroid » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:23 am

Monkey D Goku wrote:I'm still kinda wondering how in the world did Bardock get sent back in time ? Lol did Aku come out of nowhere a tear open a portal into the past and fling him there lol Samurai Jack reference .
Foolish saiyan warrior!

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:40 pm

Isn't Broly supposed to be the LSSJ? Also, Episode of Bardock isn't canon, however Bardock: The Father of Goku is.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:42 pm

floofychan333 wrote:...Episode of Bardock isn't canon, however Bardock: The Father of Goku is.
What? That's totally subjective. Canon isn't even a thing that exists outside of whatever helps you sleep at night. You can't write something off (or on) based on such a shifty word.
Last edited by Jinzoningen MULE on Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Retired.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:43 pm

It's funny that he says Episode of Bardock isn't canon but thinks Broly is. :lolno:
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:24 pm

Nether Bardock or Broly are the legendary super saiyan.

Who ever they were, they are described as a primitive or very wild saiyan who was only powerful enough to achieve the SS form as an Oozaru. Because they had no control over his Oozaru form anyway, the rage and power of SS sent this unknown guy/woman into an unstoppable rampage that led them to destroy the planet they were on. Which if you go by Super could have been planet Salad in U7.

Broly is at best a mutant with a unique transformation who only got the title of "Legendary" because of his blood thirsty and barley controlled savagery, which mirrors that of the original one. Episode of Bardock is just a what if story that has about as much bearing on the cannon as Broly dose i.e. none what so ever.

One thing I will always give GT was giving us the closest look at the True Legendery Super Saiyan Form might have been like.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:00 pm

Several things to clarify.

Towa and SKoT time travel changes the past *without* creating a split like Trunks time machine does. Its a plot point everyone seems to forget.

Once its pushed back close enough to it's original events SKoT can fix it from the time nest. I originally can up with this as fanwank but it was actually confirmed in XV2. I can't find the line or cutscene like I could for the EoB bit below but TV tropes references it too:

“Dragon Ball Xenoverse: This is the mission of the Time Patrol in game. While some things in-game are inevitably altered, such as Frieza going directly into his final form instead of transforming into each one consecutively, as long as history ultimately plays out how it was meant to (Goku successfully beating the bad guys), they're fine with it.
Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 reveals that these minor changes will actually be undone when they put their time travel scrolls together, making things identical to the original history again. But notably, the Supreme Kai of Time decides that maybe one small change could be allowed: Future Gohan learns about his fated death and faces it with pride, giving Trunks a bit of closure.”

XV2 also has a cool throw away line from Towa about Bardock, “we barely caught him after he lost control and ran away into the distant past” I think this was a clear nod to EoB.

You might not consider EoB or XV2 canon but they are compatible with each other. It also makes a lot more sense that Bardock could both get caught in Freezas blast and still get to the past later (because he's hanging around time travelers rather than a planetary explosion sending him back, which didn't seem playable before.)

Bardock TV special is no longer canon, DB minus overwrote it. That in turn also decanonised the missions with baby Goku from DBO. But only those missions specifically.

Edit: so in relation to the OP ,

If EoB happened , it *could* be the Genesis of the ssj legend, but it's not explicitly stated. Adopt it as headcanon if you want.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:45 pm

Given that Naho Ooishi, who was responsible for the manga adaptation of the Episode of Bardock, described it as a what-if scenario, I would say that it's safe to consider the events of the special as having not actually happened in any sense that actually connects it to the continuity of the main story.
Who ever they were, they are described as a primitive or very wild saiyan who was only powerful enough to achieve the SS form as an Oozaru. Because they had no control over his Oozaru form anyway, the rage and power of SS sent this unknown guy/woman into an unstoppable rampage that led them to destroy the planet they were on. Which if you go by Super could have been planet Salad in U7.
A good deal of that is filler embellishment. In the original manga, nothing was said or even hinted at him only being able to generate the form in his Oozaru state or that he destroyed the planet he was on. Essentially everything that's said is that the Super Saiya-jin relished in destruction and slaughter, and that was it.

Likewise, Vegeta indicated that Sadla was destroyed by infighting, rather than being anything necessarily related to the previous Ssj.

Souheil21

Post by Souheil21 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:21 am

Well if we count Non-canon, he probably is, since he was the first super saiyan.

But if we count Canon only, its Goku since he was the first one to transform.

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:31 am

Chilled warns his followers about a Saiyan that can turn his hair gold. Freeza has no idea what he's looking at when Goku's hair turns gold. Considering those two facts... I think it's pretty safe to say that if Bardock somehow was sent into the past, he didn't end up in the main timeline's past but rather created another alternate timeline just like 99% of all time travel in this series does.

So maybe he's a "legendary Super Saiyan" of this other timeline. I'm pretty sure the Saiyans during Bardock's time already had a Super Saiyan legend, though (and Freeza already was aware of such a thing, it's why he decided to go ahead and destroy the planet -- he noticed that some Saiyans were getting stronger than expected and feared that one would end up being a Super Saiyan), so there had to have been another Super Saiyan even before Bardock went back. So this other timeline Bardock ended up in probably has two different Super Saiyan legends, one about Bardock and one about somebody else we never see.

And we never see the "present" of that alternate timeline, either -- who knows what else might've changed as a result of a lone Super Saiyan existing on Planet Plant that far in the past, and mortally wounding one of Freeza's ancestors. Maybe Chilled dying back then meant that Freeza's direct ancestors were never even born in that timeline, or were so scared of the thought of a golden-haired Saiyan showing up to murder them if they took a single step out of line that they never got into the "wipe out planets and sell them" business in the first place and ended up living peacefully. Maybe Freeza was eventually born in that timeline but due to his dad not having a galaxy-spanning empire (and his ancestors not being space pirates, at least after Chilled anyway) he ended up being a good guy somehow. :lol:

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:39 am

TobyS wrote:[spoiler]Several things to clarify.

Towa and SKoT time travel changes the past *without* creating a split like Trunks time machine does. Its a plot point everyone seems to forget.

Once its pushed back close enough to it's original events SKoT can fix it from the time nest. I originally can up with this as fanwank but it was actually confirmed in XV2. I can't find the line or cutscene like I could for the EoB bit below but TV tropes references it too:

“Dragon Ball Xenoverse: This is the mission of the Time Patrol in game. While some things in-game are inevitably altered, such as Frieza going directly into his final form instead of transforming into each one consecutively, as long as history ultimately plays out how it was meant to (Goku successfully beating the bad guys), they're fine with it.
Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 reveals that these minor changes will actually be undone when they put their time travel scrolls together, making things identical to the original history again. But notably, the Supreme Kai of Time decides that maybe one small change could be allowed: Future Gohan learns about his fated death and faces it with pride, giving Trunks a bit of closure.”

XV2 also has a cool throw away line from Towa about Bardock, “we barely caught him after he lost control and ran away into the distant past” I think this was a clear nod to EoB.

You might not consider EoB or XV2 canon but they are compatible with each other. It also makes a lot more sense that Bardock could both get caught in Freezas blast and still get to the past later (because he's hanging around time travelers rather than a planetary explosion sending him back, which didn't seem playable before.)

Bardock TV special is no longer canon, DB minus overwrote it. That in turn also decanonised the missions with baby Goku from DBO. But only those missions specifically.

Edit: so in relation to the OP ,

If EoB happened , it *could* be the Genesis of the ssj legend, but it's not explicitly stated. Adopt it as headcanon if you want.[/spoiler]
I think this is the best text about the subject I have seen in the entire Kanzenshuu community. Kudos! :clap:
Pantalones wrote:Chilled warns his followers about a Saiyan that can turn his hair gold. Freeza has no idea what he's looking at when Goku's hair turns gold.
Not actually safe. Bardock didn't go fifty years in the past, but at least one thousand years back in time. Stories, myths, tales... They all change through history, they get adapted, they are never the same since their "debut".

Also, most of Future Trunks time traveling in Dragon Ball Super didn't feel like each time he was creating another timeline. And none Time Rings were created with his constant time traveling as well.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:56 am

If we're talking about the franchise as a whole then...maybe ? But if we're talking about the original manga only then NO,NO&NO.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:38 pm

Darkprince410 wrote:Given that Naho Ooishi, who was responsible for the manga adaptation of the Episode of Bardock, described it as a what-if scenario, I would say that it's safe to consider the events of the special as having not actually happened in any sense that actually connects it to the continuity of the main story.
A good deal of that is filler embellishment. In the original manga, nothing was said or even hinted at him only being able to generate the form in his Oozaru state or that he destroyed the planet he was on. Essentially everything that's said is that the Super Saiya-jin relished in destruction and slaughter, and that was it.

Likewise, Vegeta indicated that Sadla was destroyed by infighting, rather than being anything necessarily related to the previous Ssj.
Your right I keep forgetting that.

dragon boss z
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by dragon boss z » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:46 pm

No.

That special isn't canon.

Zillamon51
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zillamon51 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:27 pm

Broly is the Legendary Super Saiyan. It's like, his official title!

Seriously, there probably isn't one, but several. Saiyans who, like Broly, were born with abnormally high battle power, were savage in nature, and lived for battle. Their power rose, they became Super Saiyans, and went down in legend. Every thousand years or so, one would come along, adding to the legend.

Who knows if Bardock ever got off that planet and reconnected with his people.
"...It’s still going to be the same sort of easy-to-understand content as always." - Akira Toriyama, on transitioning from DBZ to DBS.

"Just repeat to yourself, It's just a show,
I should really just relax..." - MST3K theme song