Quick question about the Trunks DVDs

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:36 pm

Also, why haven't FUNi released a Trunks box set yet? If they did, those sets would all contain the newest version of the DVDs, and there'd be no confusion.

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:16 pm

I have both the rereleased Mysterious Youth and Prelude to Terror. I bought them both in March 2002 from Suncoast.com, so it's been about two years that the olds ones have been out of print. It's entirely possible that some retailers still carry the old versions; online retailers are unlikely to update their cover art or product descriptions. But I can only verify that Suncoast has it.

Prelude to Terror does have updated cover art. Newer font, smaller splash, updated episode descriptions and runtime, and 2002 copyright date. So, that one would be easy to spot in a store. However, Mysterious Youth is completely unchanged (or at least mine is, but I don't see why they'd release it a third time). I definitely have the newer MY with recaps, eyecatches, no subtitle errors, and per-episode themesongs. But the back cover still says 2000, and it still has the ugly italic font and huge splash. I imagine they only changed PTT's cover because of the new episodes on it.

So even if you buy them at the mall or something, it's impossible to tell which version of MY you're getting. I didn't even know I had a newer version until I watched it. Rumors of a rereleased PTT started coming out shortly after I got MY, so I bought PTT, and then scanned the back cover to prove its existence to people. I used that scan a lot.

...Wow, I'm really rambling now. I just have a lot of history with informing people about the newer Trunks DVDs.

M-Vegeta
Beyond Newbie

Post by M-Vegeta » Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:43 pm

I'm sure y'all will be happy to know I got the 5 disc DVD.

I'm guessing I got the re-released version of "Mysterious Youth". The opening and ending themes surround each episode, and I seem to remember there being a problem with the subtitles appearing on top of the screen in one scene, didn't see that. But it does use the spelling "Frieza" a few times in the first episode (Japanese episode 118). Also, was there any recap for this episode? I didn't get one.

By the way, when did they start including the dilly where they cut to the commercials. That was kind of neat to see! That's not in any of my "Frieza" discs. So does that mean episodes from Trunks saga on have the commercial dilly?

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:05 pm

I don't think there was an actual recap for 118, since it started a completely new storyline (Cell saga). Other ones like this are 200 (start of Buu saga) and 108 (start of Garlic Jr), and there's a whole bunch in DB.

As for the "dilly where they cut to the commercials", those are the eyecatches. :D They weren't on the original Trunks DVDs, nor the Captain Ginyu or Androids volumes. They actually started with the World Tournament volumes, which came out the same time as Frieza started, but it was too late to go back and redo all the subtitle timings for the Frieza ones. I don't think they were on the Garlic Jr discs either, for the same reason as Frieza, but I'd have to go watch them again to make sure, and I don't really want to at the moment. :P

In short, the eyecatches only appear from Imperfect Cell until the end of the series, with the exception of the rereleased Trunks discs. All of DB and DBGT have them, though, and the uncut Saiyan and Namek episodes should have them, too.

M-Vegeta
Beyond Newbie

Post by M-Vegeta » Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:35 pm

Yeah, I can't wait for the Saiyan and Namek saga to be re-released! It's gonna be sweeet!

Aren't the eyecatches from the Buu saga different than the rest of the sagas? I've only seen a few episodes, mostly ones with Majin Vegeta. I was holding off because I didn't want to watch bad fansubs or real player episodes. I wanted to see them in all their crystal clear GLORY.

And I kind wish they'd redo the Ginyu discs. Granted it's only two DVDs, but it would just mesh better with the rest of the series having the recaps.

Anyway, thanks for clearing up my confusion.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:59 pm

Yes the eyecatches are different for the Buu saga. Instead of the ones with little Gohan running to his father and popping out under his arm, the first one has a teenage Gohan and Videl riding in a car with "Mr. Satan" written on it and then it gets lifted up by Goten. The second one has Kaio-sama accidently drive his car into Goku, who of course barely feels it and just laughs, but the car's pretty damaged! 8)