Androids #14 and #15's deaths

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Androids #14 and #15's deaths

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:50 pm

Is it just me who felt that Androids #14 and #15's deaths in DBZ Movie #7 were both strange and rushed? I mean, Trunks reverts from his SS form back into normal, merely holds his sword out and #14 stupidly runs into it, exploding on contact, for some reason. Vegeta and #15 charge at each other and clash, with Vegeta falling to the ground afterwards. As #15 chuckles to himself, he starts dying (with his laughing becoming slower and deeper) until his head falls off and he explodes as well, for some reason. This may've been because of the former damage Vegeta had inflicted upon on him, the damage he'd recieved from that clash, a combination of those two, or the alcohol he'd been drinking throughout (which would be pretty stupid of him).
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Re: Androids #14 and #15's deaths

Post by Darkprince410 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:08 pm

#14's death wasn't quite like that though. What happened (at least how I see it) is that the two clashed together while Trunks was a Super Saiya-jin, and their positions afterward with Trunks holding his sword out and #14 having his back to him was the whole cliche of "We don't know who actually took damage from their clash" scenario. Then when #14 turns around and charges towards Trunks, the delayed reaction to the damage Trunks had inflicted on him finally kicked in, causing him to explode.

It's that old scenario where two fighters rush towards eachother only for their actual attack to not be shown (usually their attack is hidden by a flash of light), then when the light subsides, they're standing a good ways away from one another again with their backs towards one another. Eventually one of them finally succumbs to his injuries and falls unconscious/dies (sometimes after some reflective dialogue).

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:49 pm

Darkprince410 wrote:#14's death wasn't quite like that though. What happened (at least how I see it) is that the two clashed together while Trunks was a Super Saiya-jin, and their positions afterward with Trunks holding his sword out and #14 having his back to him was the whole cliche of "We don't know who actually took damage from their clash" scenario. Then when #14 turns around and charges towards Trunks, the delayed reaction to the damage Trunks had inflicted on him finally kicked in, causing him to explode.

It's that old scenario where two fighters rush towards eachother only for their actual attack to not be shown (usually their attack is hidden by a flash of light), then when the light subsides, they're standing a good ways away from one another again with their backs towards one another. Eventually one of them finally succumbs to his injuries and falls unconscious/dies (sometimes after some reflective dialogue).
Yeah, perhaps that happened with #15 too. It just seemed strange, since Trunks put his sword out and #14 appeared to explode just as he reached it.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:50 pm

Is it the first time that a villain dies in a movie strangely with the feeling "how the hell did that happened?" :roll:
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:09 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:Is it the first time that a villain dies in a movie strangely with the feeling "how the hell did that happened?" :roll:
Other than maybe Gokuu's Toei Punch in DBZ Movie #8...I guess so.

roidrage
Beyond Newbie

Post by roidrage » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:36 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:Is it the first time that a villain dies in a movie strangely with the feeling "how the hell did that happened?" :roll:
Other than maybe Gokuu's Toei Punch in DBZ Movie #8...I guess so.
So that's what they call it? Goku gathers the miniscule energy of his friends and combines it with his own miniscule energy (which makes no sense; none of them at full power could hurt Broli. What little energy they have left combined shouldn't do shit.) and punches Broli through the scar he received on his stomach, killing him, which also makes no sense. The wound can't reopen or serve as a "weak spot" because the attack happened to Broli as a baby and Saiyans only become stronger after a near-death experience.

I'm a very casual viewer who will accept anything a work can make sound plausible, but that plot hole is impossible not to notice. Broli could have spontaneously combusted because the movie was almost over, and it would have made just as much sense, if not more.
SAD 4 U

FNF
Temporarily Banned

Post by FNF » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:38 pm

I think of Broly's death as a martial arts/samurai cliche to some extent ('determination bring great POWAAAA!','fight with honor!' etc etc). Speaking of which Tenshinhan is an embodiment of this cliche in the manga to some extent.

As for the topic, yes, their deaths were awfully rushed. Just look at the fight itself.

-Trunks and Vegeta struggle in base
-Start tanking hits before they turn SSjin
-Dominate in SSjin (I think?)
-Start struggling in SSjin
-Finish off the Androids
-Revert to base clearly battle worn
-Get back up as if they were good as new

It was a shambles and a lot of people don't realize this straight away. It was worse than the Broly fight imo. It was just that bad.
Voltaire: "I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it."

Other username on forums;
'Cocoman'

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:19 pm

FNF wrote:As for the topic, yes, their deaths were awfully rushed. Just look at the fight itself.

-Trunks and Vegeta struggle in base
-Start tanking hits before they turn SSjin
-Dominate in SSjin (I think?)
-Start struggling in SSjin
-Finish off the Androids
-Revert to base clearly battle worn
-Get back up as if they were good as new

It was a shambles and a lot of people don't realize this straight away. It was worse than the Broly fight imo. It was just that bad.
Yeah, I agree. They do start off dominating in SS, but I think Vegeta at least struggles a bit with #15 and falls to the ground after their clash, although #15 obviously comes off worse and explodes.

Same with Gokuu vs. #13. He struggles both in base and SS against #13.

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:26 am

I thought #14 had a cool death, Trunks strikes him and it appears to have no effect. #14 then rushes him but as he does he suddenly splits in half and explodes.
:lol:

#15 was disappointing. Especially as I read in that Beckett DBZ magazine that he had a hilarious death and was waited for two years for it and it was dull.
:cry:
So that's what they call it? Goku gathers the miniscule energy of his friends and combines it with his own miniscule energy (which makes no sense; none of them at full power could hurt Broli. What little energy they have left combined shouldn't do shit.) and punches Broli through the scar he received on his stomach, killing him, which also makes no sense.
I always thought it was because Goku hit his scar AND Broly was close to needing to discharge his ki (like he did earlier in the movie). Movie #8 makes the case that Broly's power grows too overwhelming for him to contain in his LSSJ form and he needs to discharge it ocassionally. He needed to do it at the time Goku punched him with the Toei Punch and exploded due to it being too much.
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:48 am

Toei didn't seem to mind using that cliche. They used it at least one other time that I can think of (Yamucha vs. the wolf guy) and something similar in Movie 5, though it didn't result in defeat.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:03 pm

Kingdom Heartless wrote:Toei didn't seem to mind using that cliche. They used it at least one other time that I can think of (Yamucha vs. the wolf guy) and something similar in Movie 5, though it didn't result in defeat.
Wait, what? When did Yamcha fight a wolf guy? And what happened in DBZ Movie #5?

In Brightest Day
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by In Brightest Day » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:25 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:
Kingdom Heartless wrote:Toei didn't seem to mind using that cliche. They used it at least one other time that I can think of (Yamucha vs. the wolf guy) and something similar in Movie 5, though it didn't result in defeat.
Wait, what? When did Yamcha fight a wolf guy? And what happened in DBZ Movie #5?
I believe it was during the 21st Budokai preliminaries. It was one of the Budokai's anyway, but I'm pretty sure it was the 21st.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:04 pm

In Brightest Day wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote:
I believe it was during the 21st Budokai preliminaries. It was one of the Budokai's anyway, but I'm pretty sure it was the 21st.
Yep.

And in Movie #5, Sauzer and Piccolo rushed at each other in a similar fashion.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:53 pm

I haven't seen the anime in full, so that explains it. And yeah, I forgot about that part. Piccolo just got his shirt torn a bit.

Dabooyaka
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dabooyaka » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:27 pm

Super Gogeta killing Jamemba is the most rushed, piece of crap death I've ever seen. The androids were bad, but not THAT bad.

Mystic Gohan
Regular

Post by Mystic Gohan » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:59 pm

DBZ Mick wrote:I thought #14 had a cool death, Trunks strikes him and it appears to have no effect. #14 then rushes him but as he does he suddenly splits in half and explodes.
:lol:

#15 was disappointing. Especially as I read in that Beckett DBZ magazine that he had a hilarious death and was waited for two years for it and it was dull.
:cry:
So that's what they call it? Goku gathers the miniscule energy of his friends and combines it with his own miniscule energy (which makes no sense; none of them at full power could hurt Broli. What little energy they have left combined shouldn't do shit.) and punches Broli through the scar he received on his stomach, killing him, which also makes no sense.
I always thought it was because Goku hit his scar AND Broly was close to needing to discharge his ki (like he did earlier in the movie). Movie #8 makes the case that Broly's power grows too overwhelming for him to contain in his LSSJ form and he needs to discharge it ocassionally. He needed to do it at the time Goku punched him with the Toei Punch and exploded due to it being too much.
Yeah i don't understand why this theory is dismissed. Nothing goes against it imo. Then it can get rid of this ridiculous hax people have on the so called "Toei Punch".

Super Vegetto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Super Vegetto » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:24 pm

Its funny how Toei makes every dbz movie predictable...they whait till the end to transform but first its like they need to test the villian by fighting in base,,second is that Spirit bomb kills every villian and third is that some villians will die by one hit,,i never undertood how did Goku killd Broly and Hirudegarn since he was no match for them,,only way was Spirit Bomb but it seams they didnt whanted Goku to use the same attack almost every movie where he is the last one standing...btw Hirudegarn has some weak point like when he is mad and after he kicks he is off guard which doesnt make sence to kill someone,,its like he is on billions but after attack which draws his energy he is on millions and Gokus dragon fist had enough power to go trough him...well thats movie logic since Frieza didnt died by Spirit bomb or characters dont transform till they got beating...toei made Goku ssj3 stronger than Vegito is our eyes same goes for Kid buu > Buuhan...

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:25 pm

Dabooyaka wrote:Super Gogeta killing Jamemba is the most rushed, piece of crap death I've ever seen. The androids were bad, but not THAT bad.
Are you serious? I didn't know anyone disliked Gogeta killing Janemba. Unlike what the anime does, it didn't drag things out and just cuts the crap with Gogeta defeating Janemba before he could do anything else. If he knows he's much stronger than him, why would he waste time toying around with him? Not to mention that it would lose the impact and awesomeness of Gogeta and his short scene. Everything had been building up to that scene, and it was a fitting climax for Gogeta to come in, all bad-ass, and then not waste any time delivering a combo and then finishing him off with his "Soul Punisher".

This is part of the reason why I prefer Gogeta to Vegetto. Toriyama should've just ignored DBZ Movie #12 and gone with Gogeta anyway, since Potara seemed incredibly contrived, had none of the interesting drawbacks (also a trend for transformations) that Metamorian Fusion had, and it was hard to believe that the East Kaioushin and Kibito somehow didn't know about it.

The Androids and Broli's deaths are rushed because of how strange and unbelievable they were. They reuse the same cross-clash method to kill off the Androids in an entirely uninteresting way. I mean, "delayed damage"? What the fuck is that? I know they're Androids, but it's like they may as well have just spontaneously combusted without anyone hitting him just so they could hurry the movie up for #13 to merge them and power up.

Same with Broli. Read roidrage's post.

Mystic Gohan
Regular

Post by Mystic Gohan » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:13 pm

I also prefer gogeta to vegito. I think the potara was a cheap way of gaining power. All the power of fusion with none of the side-effects? That's freaking stupid.

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:19 pm

Mystic Gohan wrote:All the power of fusion with none of the side-effects? That's freaking stupid.
Except that the Potara Fusion is supposed to be permanent.