If you die while you are dead?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KillerCory
Beyond Newbie

If you die while you are dead?

Post by KillerCory » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:14 pm

Was it ever mentioned in the manga or explained in any kind of detail what would happen if you die again, after you are already dead?

I just recently watched the episode where Kid Buu was about to blow up Grand Kaio's planet and Goku mentioned that if Kuririn and Yamucha die again they will be gone completely. I assume that means that can't be brought back to life with the dragonballs. That was a filler episode but just wondering if anything more concrete than that was ever given to us.
Goku: "Look Vegeta! People popcorn!"
Vegeta: "What is he on?"

BrodieK41

Re: If you die while you are dead?

Post by BrodieK41 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:48 pm

There's a scene where Goku warns Vegeta, who's about to fight Buu in order to stall time for the Genki-dama, that if he's killed again, he won't exist anymore. I assume he means he won't even be in the afterlife anymore and disappear into nothingness. That's what I always took from it.

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:00 pm

BrodieK41 wrote:There's a scene where Goku warns Vegeta, who's about to fight Buu in order to stall time for the Genki-dama, that if he's killed again, he won't exist anymore. I assume he means he won't even be in the afterlife anymore and disappear into nothingness. That's what I always took from it.
This. Though it did always bother me how you can die when in a spiritual body.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:23 pm

Presumably, there's no after-afterlife for your soul or whatever to go to, so after you die while you're dead, you literally disappear from existence.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:51 pm

Rory wrote:Though it did always bother me how you can die when in a spiritual body.
What's a "spiritual body", though? They always act like it's just the same body you had when you were alive.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:11 pm

Supposedly if you are "killed" after you died, your soul won't go to the after-life, but rather cease to exist.

Of course it is a little strange since Vegeta retained his body, so it shouldn't be much different from dying while he was still alive.

Not sure about the Dragon Balls. If it can revive a person who died, or rebuild the entire Earth, why can't it reconstruct a soul?

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:31 pm

Well, when someone dies, all of the bits of their body still exist and their soul is still hanging around in the afterlife... so it's not too complicated, all you need to do is fix the body a little, put the soul back in, and they're alive again. It's even easier in the case of those like Goku who kept their bodies in the afterlife, since all that really needs to be done is changing their "deadness status" (halo) from "dead" to "not dead."
And rebuilding a planet isn't really any more complicated than rebuilding someone's body (just on a much bigger scale)--all that needs to be done is putting the pieces back together right.

Plus, Kami has shown the ability to give people new bodies if theirs was too far beyond repair, as well as the ability to go between Earth and the afterlife pretty much at will and the ability to rebuild the moon. So all of those sorts of things should be possible with the Dragonballs, just going by the "as long as it doesn't exceed the creator's power" rule.

But if your soul ceases to exist entirely, there's nothing left over to put back together--you're just gone. Considering how much of a big deal it was to keep anyone from becoming "dead-dead" when Buu was going around, it's definitely implied that there's no way to reverse this, Dragonballs or otherwise. Maybe that's why we never see the North and West Kaioshins around, even in the afterlife--Buu could have easily killed them again once they stood back up with halos after the first time.

Not sure why it would be different for Vegeta (who actually had his body) than for a normal living person, though. Maybe the bodies people have in the afterlife aren't really the same as their living bodies after all--Goku didn't run out of power so quickly when using SSj3 when he was dead (though it did eat away at the "visiting the not-dead people time" he had left), so there must be some difference.

SylentEcho
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SylentEcho » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:33 am

Rory wrote:
BrodieK41 wrote:There's a scene where Goku warns Vegeta, who's about to fight Buu in order to stall time for the Genki-dama, that if he's killed again, he won't exist anymore. I assume he means he won't even be in the afterlife anymore and disappear into nothingness. That's what I always took from it.
This. Though it did always bother me how you can die when in a spiritual body.
The body they get to keep is a privilege to their soul. Instead of their soul just floating around, they're allowed to keep their memories and exist in the form of their original body. If they lose that, then they're gone permanently.