How exactly strong is Videl?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Flame Dragon
Regular

How exactly strong is Videl?

Post by Flame Dragon » Sat May 26, 2012 11:13 am

This is a question that confuses me the most.
From all we know, she's supposedly MUCH stronger than her father, but we never really get an estimate of her power.
After she learns some basic ki control and flight, i think she really improves a lot.

But her fight with Spopovitch is strange to me.
Isn't Spopovitch a superhuman enemy? Being controlled by Babidi and all?
If so, he's probably stronger than most early characters (Zarbon, Dodoria etc.) isn't he?
Or he's stronger than the Androids? Being a Boo saga character...

Also, does he regenerate health or simply takes no damage at all?
In the fight, Videl starts really well, and i think she would have won if the former didn't apply.

We also see Videl bravely attacking many enemies, like Hirudegarn.
So... How strong is she? Being one of the few fighter girls, she's my favourite and really makes me wish for a female SSJ.

PS: I'm new to the forums, so if i did anything wrong, let me know!
English is not my first language, but i'm pretty good at it.

Super Vegetto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: How exactly strong is Videl?

Post by Super Vegetto » Sat May 26, 2012 11:24 am

I have her under Kid Goku first apperence so basicly she is under 10.

Lol Zarbon and Dodoria eat Spopovitch for breakfast.

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Sat May 26, 2012 11:53 am

Flame Dragon wrote:This is a question that confuses me the most.
From all we know, she's supposedly MUCH stronger than her father, but we never really get an estimate of her power.
After she learns some basic ki control and flight, i think she really improves a lot.

But her fight with Spopovitch is strange to me.
Isn't Spopovitch a superhuman enemy? Being controlled by Babidi and all?
If so, he's probably stronger than most early characters (Zarbon, Dodoria etc.) isn't he?
Or he's stronger than the Androids? Being a Boo saga character...

Also, does he regenerate health or simply takes no damage at all?
In the fight, Videl starts really well, and i think she would have won if the former didn't apply.

We also see Videl bravely attacking many enemies, like Hirudegarn.
So... How strong is she? Being one of the few fighter girls, she's my favourite and really makes me wish for a female SSJ.

PS: I'm new to the forums, so if i did anything wrong, let me know!
English is not my first language, but i'm pretty good at it.
Welcome to the forums, I hope you enjoy it here, to be honest Spopovitch isn't really that strong. Babidi's magic did increase his strength but if you think about it the increase is probably proportional to you're original strength. Something like a 25-50% increase, considering this if Hercule beat him and he was something like 7 and Spopovitch was 6 then with Babidi's magic Spopovitch would be 9. The only reason him and his partner could hold Gohan was because Supreme Kai was doing all of the work. However if we are talking about the mind control on Vegeta then a 25-50% increase would be a large jump in power, enough to put him on equal terms with Goku anyway.

OzzyApu
Beyond Newbie

Post by OzzyApu » Sat May 26, 2012 12:44 pm

Super Vegetto wrote:I have her under Kid Goku first apperence so basicly she is under 10.
Unless you're implying that she could stop bullets, then she isn't like Kid Goku. Her being under 10, yes, but first appearance Goku would be a little higher than that.

I always figured that if she kept at ki manipulation, she could have put some of it behind her strikes to give her a better edge against opponents (unless she already began doing that).

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Sat May 26, 2012 12:52 pm

OzzyApu wrote:
Super Vegetto wrote:I have her under Kid Goku first apperence so basicly she is under 10.
Unless you're implying that she could stop bullets, then she isn't like Kid Goku. Her being under 10, yes, but first appearance Goku would be a little higher than that.

I always figured that if she kept at ki manipulation, she could have put some of it behind her strikes to give her a better edge against opponents (unless she already began doing that).
I always thought that it was Goku's specialness and toughness (and later revealed to be his Saiya-jin ancestry) that made him able to withstand bullets.
He could always take far worse beating than any other character could. Blame it on the Shônen factor, but still.

I'd say that even if Mr. Satan was 25 in PL and Videl was 50, it wouldn't matter. They would still be impressive for humans, and still regarded as small fry.
If we take into consideration Goku's strength in the beginning of Dragonball (breaking rocks) and compare it to Mr. Satan's power, then Mr. Satan should be only 5-7 in PL.

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Sat May 26, 2012 1:09 pm

OzzyApu wrote:

I always figured that if she kept at ki manipulation, she could have put some of it behind her strikes to give her a better edge against opponents(unless she already began doing that).
I tend to agree with Godo, I feel Goku could only tank bullets with his starting powerlevel because he was a Saiya-jin. I have mentioned it before but evolution-wise(If we go by the manga, because they make no other mention of other races on Planet Vegeta) Saiya-jin would have naturally evolved to the point of having extremely tough and durable bodies in order to survive on a planet that has 10x that of Earths. This would also explain why Goku when he was born with such a weak powerlevel could survive on the planet without being crushed. So the fact that Goku had a powerlevel of 10 at the start of dragonball was only amplified by his physiology, thus allowing him to survive bullets and destroy things with ease.

Super Vegetto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Super Vegetto » Sat May 26, 2012 1:20 pm

He already has twice the power of an ordinary person. What's more, his body is tough enough to repel a gun bullet.

I think that is because he is strong and not because he is ordinary saiyan.

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Sat May 26, 2012 2:35 pm

Super Vegetto wrote:He already has twice the power of an ordinary person. What's more, his body is tough enough to repel a gun bullet.

I think that is because he is strong and not because he is ordinary saiyan.
A powerlevel of 5 is the average powerlevel of people on earth, there are plenty of characters with more than 10 who would die from a bullet, it's more reasonable to assume people with a powerlevel of 100+ can tank bullets and Goku is a special case because Saiya-jin have tough bodies. I mean if we take Tao Paipai for instance he nearly killed himself with a grenade, a few chapters later when Goku is running through the Red Ribbon base looking for the dragonballs and dispatching all the soldiers he gets hit by a rocket launcher without any damage. I wouldn't say in terms of powerlevels they were that far from each other so Goku being able to tank a rocket I would say was down to his durability. All through the beginning of dragonball Goku's opponents have brought up his incredible durability in battle, even Master Roshi. And what other explanation could there be for Goku being able to survive on planet Vegeta when he was struggling with a powerlevel of 200+ on King Kai's planet?

Super Vegetto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Super Vegetto » Sat May 26, 2012 2:51 pm

I still see him as strong.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Sat May 26, 2012 4:40 pm

I put her stronger than Chi-Chi. But idk where Spopovich stands, maybe where Tao Pai Pai (first appearance) was?
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Sat May 26, 2012 4:46 pm

Hitiro wrote:A powerlevel of 5 is the average powerlevel of people on earth, there are plenty of characters with more than 10 who would die from a bullet, it's more reasonable to assume people with a powerlevel of 100+ can tank bullets and Goku is a special case because Saiya-jin have tough bodies. I mean if we take Tao Paipai for instance he nearly killed himself with a grenade, a few chapters later when Goku is running through the Red Ribbon base looking for the dragonballs and dispatching all the soldiers he gets hit by a rocket launcher without any damage. I wouldn't say in terms of powerlevels they were that far from each other so Goku being able to tank a rocket I would say was down to his durability. All through the beginning of dragonball Goku's opponents have brought up his incredible durability in battle, even Master Roshi. And what other explanation could there be for Goku being able to survive on planet Vegeta when he was struggling with a powerlevel of 200+ on King Kai's planet?
Kuririn was actually even weaker than Goku and could survive a bullet shot. Of course it could be that Kuririn just trained his body so he is not necessarily only twice as strong as a regular person at best.

The series is not completely consistent in terms of weaponry power, or at least if you think the grenade Tao Pai Pai tossed was just a regular grenade. Tao Pai Pai was almost unscattered by the Kamehameha, which at this point should be enough to erase a mountain. Of course White had a gun strong enough to imobilize Goku, so it's not far-fetched to say that Tao Pai Pai used a super strong grenade.

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Sat May 26, 2012 5:43 pm

Either way, even if Goku's Saiya-jin traits didn't matter, Mr. Satan was completely downed by a bullet, so Mr. Satan should be weaker than Goku.
Even if Goku's Saiya-jin traits mattered, Mr. Satan would still be weaker than Goku.
There is no way to go around it, IMO.
And since Videl is stronger than Mr. Satan, I'd say that she can't be stronger than, say, 15 in powerlevel.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat May 26, 2012 6:34 pm

I go for the "separation of Ki and muscle" idea for these low-level and/or early-series power levels. Goku only had a Power Level, i.e. "amount of Ki" of 10 at the start of the series, roughly twice that of the average human. But he was much, MUCH stronger and tougher physically than the average human thanks to his Saiyan physiology. His Ki level wouldn't really have started increasing until he learned and started constantly using the Kamehameha, and likely not drastically until he underwent Muten Roshi's training.

For Videl, it'd be the opposite. She was already stronger Ki-wise than Mister Satan, if we're to take Gohan's surprise at her power as a measurement of that sort of thing (when he had to wait for her Ki to surge to find her, then commented on her power compared to the champ's). Then she went on to learn "advanced" Ki usage from Gohan, which probably would have rocketed her Ki power up to impressive heights for a newbie like her, enough that she could contend with Spopovich, someone who had their potential forced out of them.

But assuming she's still at such a "low" level, it's possible she's still somewhat imbalanced. She and Spopovich could be sporting power levels of something like 20-30, but still be physically inferior and end up losing to start-of-series Goku.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Sat May 26, 2012 7:51 pm

Kaboom wrote:I go for the "separation of Ki and muscle" idea for these low-level and/or early-series power levels. Goku only had a Power Level, i.e. "amount of Ki" of 10 at the start of the series, roughly twice that of the average human.
It's a reasonable idea. These 10 would represent the power of Goku's kamehameha, which could only destroy a small vehicle. On the other hand, Kame-sennin Kamehameha of 139 is capable of annihilating a mountain.

CatouttaHell
Advanced Regular

Post by CatouttaHell » Sat May 26, 2012 8:07 pm

Videl being above Chichi is lolworthy. She isn't even that much stronger than Mister Satan who was stated by Toriyama to be below Bob Sapp, a real life human.

Videl would get one-shotted by the Bear Bandit, let alone Initial Son Goku.
Rocketman wrote:Where you born unable to understand jokes or is this the result of years of hard training?

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Sat May 26, 2012 8:19 pm

CatouttaHell wrote:Videl being above Chichi is lolworthy. She isn't even that much stronger than Mister Satan who was stated by Toriyama to be below Bob Sapp, a real life human.

Videl would get one-shotted by the Bear Bandit, let alone Initial Son Goku.
I don't think so, Videl would just fly away.

CatouttaHell
Advanced Regular

Post by CatouttaHell » Sat May 26, 2012 8:33 pm

Jackal puFF wrote:I don't think so, Videl would just fly away.
Kuririn beat Chaozu and Son Goku beat Piccolo Daimao despite them not having Bukujutsu in both instances. How the hell is Videl going to evade Chichi with Bukujutsu if she's incomprehensibly weaker?

Even 21st Son Goku and Namu could jump high enough in the air to easily kick Videl back to the ground, and Chichi is worlds above them.
Rocketman wrote:Where you born unable to understand jokes or is this the result of years of hard training?

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat May 26, 2012 10:29 pm

I don't think Spopovich is much stronger then Goku was in 21st TB and the other fighters at the time. Videl getting bravely alive from someone Hirudegarn is nothing that special since other weak characters take hit from stronger fighters before. She is likely weaker then Goku at the start of the series.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Sat May 26, 2012 11:21 pm

Chi-Chi at the 23rd Tenkaichi is 130PL.

I'd say that only for her Ki manipulation Videl manages to pass the 100PL mark easily.
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Sun May 27, 2012 12:15 am

CatouttaHell wrote:
Jackal puFF wrote:I don't think so, Videl would just fly away.
Kuririn beat Chaozu and Son Goku beat Piccolo Daimao despite them not having Bukujutsu in both instances. How the hell is Videl going to evade Chichi with Bukujutsu if she's incomprehensibly weaker?

Even 21st Son Goku and Namu could jump high enough in the air to easily kick Videl back to the ground, and Chichi is worlds above them.
Well I never said Videl was stronger. I'm just saying she can fly away, literally.