Stupid but believable and in character

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Re: Stupid but believable and in character

Post by matt0044 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:56 pm

CaBrPi wrote:Well, Kami managed to stay alive, and so did Piccolo after reversing it.

And even if he would've died normally, just have Tenshinhan use it and then use the Dragon Balls to bring him back. It's not like he was ever actually brought back by the Earth balls in the series anyway.
That could work BUT I don't think liked the idea of having one of them die so it might not've occurred to them. Unless one of them thought of it but didn't bring it up.

On another note, Bulma flashing Roshi (unknown about her undies' whereabout) was in-character at the time but having her see the Dragon Ball and letting him see to get the ball would've been better.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:51 pm

If you take a look at the actual scene, I think it's clear that not killing Piccolo because Kami would die is really nothing but an excuse. Kuririn shouts at Goku that they should have sealed him in the jar instead, and not only does Goku ignore him, but he does so while thinking to himself: "Get as strong as you can, Piccolo! I'm gonna surpass you even further than that!"
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:00 pm

Bussani wrote:If you take a look at the actual scene, I think it's clear that not killing Piccolo because Kami would die is really nothing but an excuse. Kuririn shouts at Goku that they should have sealed him in the jar instead, and not only does Goku ignore him, but he does so while thinking to himself: "Get as strong as you can, Piccolo! I'm gonna surpass you even further than that!"
Then I must have a faulty memory since I hadn't read that chapter in a while. Sorry.

Though I do believe Goku obviously cares for Earth and life itself since it's not as though he condones killing innocents and whatnot (he'd never say "Hey, Piccolo! While you get stronger, feel free to slaughter more innocents if it makes you feel better!"), his Saiyan side can often override that. He's just lucky Piccolo Jr. doesn't do to as he wants Goku to be his first victim.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:48 pm

According to that special manga chapter thingy "In the name of Piccolo Daimao", Piccolo Jr didn't kill anyone in the time leading up to the tournament and may have even had normal conversations with people in that time, oddly enough. So Goku doesn't really have to worry about Piccolo going off and nuking a whole city when he wants to kill Goku far more than that.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:59 pm

I can't believe nobody has mentioned Goku and Vegeta breaking the Potara Earings before their battle with Kid Buu.

Toadster
Beyond Newbie

Post by Toadster » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:13 pm

Goku giving Freeza spare energy.
Perfect Cell trying to get Gohan to get angry.
Krillin not using his Kienzan against Recoome/Dodoria.
Everything Gotenks did.

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:07 pm

ringworm128 wrote:I can't believe nobody has mentioned Goku and Vegeta breaking the Potara Earings before their battle with Kid Buu.
I believe this has to do with Goku understanding Vegeta more than anything else...

They are given the earrings a second time and Goku is the one to turn them down. To me, it made me feel like Goku actually realized Vegeta was far from comfortable to be fused with him and he respected that decision. 9_9
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

Monkey D Goku
Beyond Newbie

Post by Monkey D Goku » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:05 pm

Yamcha when he started to celebrate for simply knocking down the Saibemen before either making sure he was dead or actually make a Kamehameha blast that should have completely vaporized the little bugger.
Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear Leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering - Yoda

I use to be a adventurer like you,till I took an arrow in the knee - Generic Skyrim Guard

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:29 pm

ringworm128 wrote:I can't believe nobody has mentioned Goku and Vegeta breaking the Potara Earings before their battle with Kid Buu.
Everything that sets up the Kid Buu fight is incredibly stupid.

sonikku956
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by sonikku956 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:33 pm

Monkey D Goku wrote:Yamcha when he started to celebrate for simply knocking down the Saibemen before either making sure he was dead or actually make a Kamehameha blast that should have completely vaporized the little bugger.
Why didn't he? He saw Ten almost get killed.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:36 pm

sonikku956 wrote:Why didn't he? He saw Ten almost get killed.
When did Ten almost get killed? In the manga, at least, he beats the Saibaiman with ease.

Maybe Yamcha should have been more cautious, but he did just ram the Saibaiman into the ground with a Kamehameha. Even if it got back up, he should have been able to handle it. He just wasn't expecting a suicide attack.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

sonikku956
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by sonikku956 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:18 pm

Bussani wrote:
sonikku956 wrote:Why didn't he? He saw Ten almost get killed.
When did Ten almost get killed? In the manga, at least, he beats the Saibaiman with ease.

Maybe Yamcha should have been more cautious, but he did just ram the Saibaiman into the ground with a Kamehameha. Even if it got back up, he should have been able to handle it. He just wasn't expecting a suicide attack.
Didn't Vegeta kill the Saibaman after it got up? Or was that filler?

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:28 pm

Vegeta killed it after it got back to its feet, but it didn't look like Tenshinhan was in any particular danger in the manga. He just sort of glances at it calmly when everyone says, "It's getting back up!"

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:02 am

Rocketman wrote:
The Buu arc itself is IMO pretty stupid. Really, Kid Buu could easily be stomped by Gohan or Gotenks. Using Goku and Vegeta to fight Kid Buu at that point would be the same as using Piccolo to defeat Cell.
Up to that point, the strongest fighter fought the villain. But in the end of the series, it was changed into something bad.
I for one would love to see Vegetto flick Kid Buu with his finger and make him explode.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:08 am

Really? I liked that in the end it didn't come down to the strongest fighting the strongest.

Also Gohan and Gotenks came down with a bad case of being caught in a planetary explosion.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:33 am

Godo wrote:
Rocketman wrote:
The Buu arc itself is IMO pretty stupid. Really, Kid Buu could easily be stomped by Gohan or Gotenks. Using Goku and Vegeta to fight Kid Buu at that point would be the same as using Piccolo to defeat Cell.
Up to that point, the strongest fighter fought the villain. But in the end of the series, it was changed into something bad.
I for one would love to see Vegetto flick Kid Buu with his finger and make him explode.
I think it was Toriyama returning to his comedic roots but I feel that the dark tone and comedic tone mix was kinda off-putting. It wasn't awful and it was sorta funny at times but it did kinda ruin certain characters. This is why I'm fine with Kai ending at the Cell Saga and Episode 97 really felt like the end.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:41 am

Goku letting frieza power up to 100%.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:41 am

Oops double post.
Last edited by DHM211 on Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sonikku956
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by sonikku956 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:14 pm

DHM211 wrote:Goku letting Freeza power up to 100%.
Double posting.

Goku should of wiped Freeza off the face of Namek.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:19 pm

sonikku956 wrote:
DHM211 wrote:Goku letting Freeza power up to 100%.
Double posting.
I didn't do it on purpose.