Anybody Else Bothered By GT'S Dolltacki Character?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Anybody Else Bothered By GT'S Dolltacki Character?

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:06 am

LiamKav wrote:
Gaffer Tape wrote:Eh, I'd say it's more offensive to heterosexual males, implying that they can't or shouldn't have a feminine side.
Not really. It's worse to say that gay people are all feminine than it is to say that straight men aren't, because gay men get more discrimination in every day life.
I really don't buy into the whole "systemic" argument... that sexist thinking is worse against *insert minority group here* because they are more often the target of it. Sexism is sexism, and it's bad and needs to be stamped out no matter who it's directed towards. And people constantly saying, "Well, *blank*ism against my group is more important than yours," doesn't do anything towards achieving that goal. And I can go ahead and tell you right now, from personal experience, that people who wouldn't bat an eye if an obviously gay man was acting feminine (because, for whatever reason, non-normative gender behavior is more expected), still freak out if it's displayed by an otherwise heterosexual-looking male.

To make it clear, though, I'm not even saying it's not bad to assume all gay men are the wispy, feminine stereotype. That is bad that that's assumed. What I was saying is that, due to that stereotype, it's much more easily accepted for a homosexual man to have any kind of feminine side.

On-topic, though, I would like to see these episodes at some point. The way people are describing the stuff with Pan, it comes across like some Silence of the Lambs-type creepiness, and I can't imagine them going for that kind of vibe.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:40 pm

If I remember correctly, the Latin Dub had Pan as a 4yo at the 28th Budokai and placed GT 10 years later... so it wasn't that bad to see her trying to get a boyfriend at the start. Bra was supposed to be one year older I believe too.

I never really liked Roshi outside his teacher status. I can't really understand how Krillin still lived with him with his daughter well into her teens.
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:00 pm

soulnova wrote:I never really liked Roshi outside his teacher status. I can't really understand how Krillin still lived with him with his daughter well into her teens.
I don't think Roushi would go that far, but I can't understand why Kuririn didn't get up off his ass, even he'd married #18 and had Marron with her, to get a house of his own. I mean, was #18, of all people, really that happy with the accommodation? Then again, she apparently married fucking Kuririn out of convenience, so...
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

SSJ4_Zankuto
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJ4_Zankuto » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:58 pm

He didn't bother me with his love for dolls. Maybe he's into doll fashion contests.

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:35 pm

TripleRach wrote:
linkdude20002001 wrote:Both wrong... She was five during the 28th Tenkaichi Budokai, so that makes her ten in DBGT.
No, she was four at the 28th Budoukai. It's explicitly stated in the manga dialogue.
Oh... I guess I was wrong. My mistake! :lol:
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:43 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:
soulnova wrote:I never really liked Roshi outside his teacher status. I can't really understand how Krillin still lived with him with his daughter well into her teens.
I don't think Roushi would go that far, but I can't understand why Kuririn didn't get up off his ass, even he'd married #18 and had Marron with her, to get a house of his own. I mean, was #18, of all people, really that happy with the accommodation? Then again, she apparently married fucking Kuririn out of convenience, so...
I'm sure Toriyama just didn't want to bother giving them a new home. :lol:
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

GS7X7
Advanced Regular

Post by GS7X7 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:10 am

The UKDB people had a field day with this! They had this whole meme about making fun of him for being a creepy pedophile! Good ol' Duncan's humor against a crazed pedo, some really funny jokes! :lol:
Sean Schemmel is THE MAN! :)

Me- "Also, before anyone mentions it, Schemmel's interview was from nearly 15 years ago. He paid a brief visit to Kanzenshuu's forums a few years back and earned legendary respect that cancels out anything he said from that long ago. :D"

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:07 am

Saiga wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote:
I'm sure Toriyama just didn't want to bother giving them a new home. :lol:
That's the out-of-universe explanation (which is why so many people are just bunking at Capsule Corporation, including evil bastard Vegeta before he conveniently shacked up with Blooma). But in-universe, it makes Kuririn seem like an incompetent freeloader, who could quite easily get a job for himself; maybe something in sports, like Yamcha, and get rich from that. I wonder why he didn't do that, even before he got with #18, since he'd get a lot of ladies. But I guess that'd be against Muten Roushi's teachings (not to get stronger to boost their own ego or get with the girls, but for health of the mind and body and to protect innocents from evil).
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:19 am

Well, in some way I understand that Roshi kind of "adopted" Krillin as a grandson. Of all people, Krillin, Bulma and Goku feel to me like they were family: Bulma as maybe the older, loud and bossy sister of Goku, and Krillin as a cousin. The only three characters of the original cast to get families on their own.
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:34 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:
That's the out-of-universe explanation (which is why so many people are just bunking at Capsule Corporation, including evil bastard Vegeta before he conveniently shacked up with Blooma). But in-universe, it makes Kuririn seem like an incompetent freeloader, who could quite easily get a job for himself; maybe something in sports, like Yamcha, and get rich from that. I wonder why he didn't do that, even before he got with #18, since he'd get a lot of ladies. But I guess that'd be against Muten Roushi's teachings (not to get stronger to boost their own ego or get with the girls, but for health of the mind and body and to protect innocents from evil).
In-universe I just say that Kurilin didn't want to leave Roshi alone out of respect for him or something along those lines.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:19 pm

Saiga wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote:That's the out-of-universe explanation (which is why so many people are just bunking at Capsule Corporation, including evil bastard Vegeta before he conveniently shacked up with Blooma). But in-universe, it makes Kuririn seem like an incompetent freeloader, who could quite easily get a job for himself; maybe something in sports, like Yamcha, and get rich from that. I wonder why he didn't do that, even before he got with #18, since he'd get a lot of ladies. But I guess that'd be against Muten Roushi's teachings (not to get stronger to boost their own ego or get with the girls, but for health of the mind and body and to protect innocents from evil).
In-universe I just say that Kurilin didn't want to leave Roshi alone out of respect for him or something along those lines.
Hmm...maybe. They'd lived together for so long, and the so-called "Turtle Hermit" didn't seem to be much of a hermit at all. I guess Kuririn didn't want to read the newspaper one day and find out that he'd committed suicide via autoerotic asphyxiation or something.

Still, I don't know how the fuck #18 put up with it. But I guess Roushi would know better than to try anything with the woman who'd previously beaten up Super Saiyan Vegeta to a pulp (excluding filler), and perhaps #18 used this to her advantage to wait on her hand and foot. But she could just get Kuririn to do that, unless she respected him too much. :lol:

sonikku956
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by sonikku956 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:52 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:
Saiga wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote:That's the out-of-universe explanation (which is why so many people are just bunking at Capsule Corporation, including evil bastard Vegeta before he conveniently shacked up with Blooma). But in-universe, it makes Kuririn seem like an incompetent freeloader, who could quite easily get a job for himself; maybe something in sports, like Yamcha, and get rich from that. I wonder why he didn't do that, even before he got with #18, since he'd get a lot of ladies. But I guess that'd be against Muten Roushi's teachings (not to get stronger to boost their own ego or get with the girls, but for health of the mind and body and to protect innocents from evil).
Hmm...maybe. They'd lived together for so long, and the so-called "Turtle Hermit" didn't seem to be much of a hermit at all. I guess Kuririn didn't want to read the newspaper one day and find out that he'd committed suicide via autoerotic asphyxiation or something.

Still, I don't know how the fuck #18 put up with it. But I guess Roushi would know better than to try anything with the woman who'd previously beaten up Super Saiyan Vegeta to a pulp (excluding filler), and perhaps #18 used this to her advantage to wait on her hand and foot. But she could just get Kuririn to do that, unless she respected him too much. :lol:
He still tries stuff with Chichi and Bulma. I can understand Goku because he knows that Chichi will lay the smackdown on Roshi, but Vegeta?

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:29 am

sonikku956 wrote:He still tries stuff with Chichi and Bulma. I can understand Goku because he knows that Chichi will lay the smackdown on Roshi, but Vegeta?
That's only in filler. In the manga, we never see Roushi try anything with Chi-Chi, and the last time we see him do so with Blooma is during the Kame House reunion at the beginning of the Saiyan arc.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:36 am

Huh...really? I guess that's yet another thing I can dislike the anime writers for then, among other things, like how they portrayed Chi Chi and Bulma at times.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Son Edo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Edo » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:32 pm

Perfect character for the GT role, he served up his purpose nicely until the bug guns started showing up.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:01 pm

Son Edo wrote:Perfect character for the GT role, he served up his purpose nicely until the bug guns started showing up.

???????????????

sonikku956
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by sonikku956 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:04 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:
sonikku956 wrote:He still tries stuff with Chichi and Bulma. I can understand Goku because he knows that Chichi will lay the smackdown on Roshi, but Vegeta?
That's only in filler. In the manga, we never see Roushi try anything with Chi-Chi, and the last time we see him do so with Blooma is during the Kame House reunion at the beginning of the Saiyan arc.
I'm going by the 2008 special with Chichi.

Son Edo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Edo » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:19 am

Cipher wrote:
Son Edo wrote:Perfect character for the GT role, he served up his purpose nicely until the bug guns started showing up.
???????????????
Haha my apologies.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:31 am

sonikku956 wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote:
I'm going by the 2008 special with Chichi.
Filler, 2008 special...still not manga canon.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:36 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:Filler, 2008 special...still not manga canon.
There is also a manga version of it by the way, so it doesn't exactly counts as filler.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.