Anybody Else Bothered By GT'S Dolltacki Character?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Anybody Else Bothered By GT'S Dolltacki Character?

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:50 am

LeprikanGT wrote:I'm more offended by the laziness of someone who TALKS to DOLLS being called DOLLTACKI than anything else about him.

That would be like "hey look, it's Gohan's dad, KamehamehaThrower".
It's no worse than a black man being called "Black".
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:52 am

I think it's not uncommon for an anime/manga to have old men attracted to young girls.

About the religion subject, you could say that devoting your entire life to something that is completely delusional is the principle of all religions. But I guess I am getting off-topic here?
Piccolo Daimao wrote:It's no worse than a black man being called "Black".
Or a ginger "Red"... besides the Tiger being "Yellow" is racist too.

Blackstripe
Regular

Post by Blackstripe » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:11 am

Fox666 wrote:About the religion subject, you could say that devoting your entire life to something that is completely delusional is the principle of all religions. But I guess I am getting off-topic here?
Trolololol

But yeah, older men being attracted to little girls is common in Manga/Anime. It's a Japanese thing, relax.

mattymoron
Beyond Newbie

Post by mattymoron » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:16 am

Aren't bad guys supposed to be creepy and weird? I hardly find an effective antagonist to be in bad taste...

Why's everyone on Roshi's case? Are ANY of you implying that he wasn't just a dirty-old-man gag? I mean, seriously.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:36 am

Blackstripe wrote:
Fox666 wrote:About the religion subject, you could say that devoting your entire life to something that is completely delusional is the principle of all religions. But I guess I am getting off-topic here?
Trolololol
Seriously?

I think it's a perfectly valid question/point to ask/make, and one I considered making on my own before Fox666 brought it up. One person's religion is another person's cult is another person's quaint look back at historical naivety. You're not running around worshiping and awaiting the return of Quetzalcoatl, are you?

Their worship alongside him isn't too far removed from the general Earthing's reverence of what turns out to be a green alien who inherited the job and accidentally pooped out a demonic half but no-one knows about it.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:52 am

LeprikanGT wrote:I'm more offended by the laziness of someone who TALKS to DOLLS being called DOLLTACKI than anything else about him.

That would be like "hey look, it's Gohan's dad, KamehamehaThrower".
Actually...
Herms wrote:Doltakki [GTPF]
He’s a doll otaku, and so his name is a combination of “doll” and “otakki”, another term for “otaku”.
Source Spelling:: ドール/dooru + オタッキー/otakkii
Name Spelling: ドルタッキー/Dorutakkii
君と再会ったとき 子供のころ大切に想っていた景色を思い出したんだ
僕と踊ってくれないか 光と影の Winding Road いまでも彼に夢中なの?

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by InfernalVegito » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:33 pm

I actually found him funny because he was so weird.
BT3 off meds | The final fight

Ah, the Alpha and the Omega. As all life was created from Chaos...so shall it be DESTROYED!!!

The wails of machines | Singing cold harmony | Shifting air upward | Entranced by the breeze | Light pours like blood | Into a cosmic sea | Of stars crystallized | In a frozen symphony

Vegetto kicking you into orbit theme

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:15 pm

Oh, I thought everyone already understood the otaku aspect. It's not a particularly subtle pun or character trait.

But, yeah. He's a riff on the Akihabara-types who covet magical girl figures and etc. And just as those people are unsavory in real life, you're not supposed to feel comfortable with this guy either.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:27 am

DoomieDoomie911 wrote:
Mystic Gohan wrote:Please. He is about as bad as Roshi. Making bulma show him her underwear and making her show him her boobs. Yet nobody gets on his ass. Plus people forget that Pan is what 14? And Bulma was 16?
You're completely wrong... GT takes place five years after the events of the 28th Tenkaichi Budokai. Pan (at the time) was three years old therefore, she is (according to the original Japanese version) eight years old. The Funimation dub has a history of altering and changing things...
Both wrong... She was five during the 28th Tenkaichi Budokai, so that makes her ten in DBGT.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

LiamKav
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LiamKav » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:52 pm

Nazi Cola wrote:Maybe he's homosexual and leans more to his feminine side?
Teeny bit offensive to homosexuals. Straight men are perfectly capable of having feminine sides.

As for Roshi, there's probably something on TVTropes to descrive him, but basically what he does would be terrible if he ever got away with it. As he has a 100% failure rate, it's okay.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:08 pm

Eh, I'd say it's more offensive to heterosexual males, implying that they can't or shouldn't have a feminine side.

As for this Dolltacki character, I've never seen these episodes before, and I'd never even heard of this character before now. However, I'd guess that you (you being the original poster) take religion pretty seriously and that would be why the idea of being conned into one seems distasteful to you. But it is a pretty common trope in fiction. Hell, I could probably name a dozen Star Trek episodes where Kirk (or whichever captain is in charge) storms into a place, calls their religion a lie, kills their "god", and runs off, leaving them in the filth of their own wasted lives.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:14 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote:Both wrong... She was five during the 28th Tenkaichi Budokai, so that makes her ten in DBGT.
No, she was four at the 28th Budoukai. It's explicitly stated in the manga dialogue.
-Rachel

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:55 am

As a Christian myself, I don't find anything wrong with the idea of a religion being used as a scam to take advantage of people, because the fact of the matter is, it happens all the time. I mean heck, half the time you hear of the Catholic Church, they're talking about some new scandal that's happened regarding a priest molesting a child. And then we've got all those cults like Jim Jones's "Heavens Gate", that religion that Charles Manson had, and also David Koresh's "Branch Davidian" sect. Heck, even the Bible itself says that false prophets and teachers will invade the Christian Church, so it's only to be expected...

But yeah, I definetly could've done without Dolltacki's little Ted Bundy moment (that is, changing the clothes of one of his victims with perverse sexual joy)...

EDIT: In regards to my comment about the Catholic Church, I'm just going off of various things I've heard in the news and other places.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:40 am

TripleRach wrote:
linkdude20002001 wrote:Both wrong... She was five during the 28th Tenkaichi Budokai, so that makes her ten in DBGT.
No, she was four at the 28th Budoukai. It's explicitly stated in the manga dialogue.
Really?? The Age guide has failed me then. I've never gotten that far in the comic since I only own the first 19 volumes. :(
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

sonikku956
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by sonikku956 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:52 am

He is a creepy lolicon.

sonikku956
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by sonikku956 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:54 am

TripleRach wrote:
Wait. Then, how old is Bra? Because if she is as old as I think she is, then those teenagers that were flirting with her were...

Oh God.

Envy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Envy » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:46 pm

Perhaps turning little girls into dolls and playing with them is creepy, but the whole leading a false religion thing is not in the least bit disturbing to me. They did the same thing in the very first arc of FMA. Funny, I haven't seen much complaining about that in the FMA fandom. Maybe I just haven't been looking enough.

Perhaps it doesn't disturb me just because of my stance on religion. :lol:

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:51 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote:
TripleRach wrote:
Really?? The Age guide has failed me then. I've never gotten that far in the comic since I only own the first 19 volumes. :(
I think the age guide just lists what age the character would turn into in that year. So Pan would be four at the 28th Budoukai, but turn five in that same year.

And @sonikku956: Depending on which guidebook you go by, Bra's either one year younger or older than Pan.

So yeah. It's technically not those teenagers' fault, since Bra looks quite developed anyway, especially with that outfit. And this is Japan. And anime. From the same company that previously included a highly insensitive scene implying that homosexuals are automatically paedophiles too. I'd be more concerned about that.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

LiamKav
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LiamKav » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:07 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:Eh, I'd say it's more offensive to heterosexual males, implying that they can't or shouldn't have a feminine side.
Not really. It's worse to say that gay people are all feminine than it is to say that straight men aren't, because gay men get more discrimination in every day life. It's like the oh so fun arguments going on at the moment in the video game and comic worlds where everytime a woman says "hang on, this is a bit offensive to men", 50,000 males jump in to say "oh, but what about when they discriminate against MEN!? Won't someone please think of the men!!" But I digress.

On the original point, I wouldn't say the religion part is offensive, because it's not really comparable to any mainstream religion. As has been said, Kami is potentially more offensive to any of the religions that believe in a single creator God. This Dolltacki stuff is more a comment on cults, and that's fair game I say. Shame he didn't look like L Ron Hubbard.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:32 am

Wait. Then, how old is Bra? Because if she is as old as I think she is, then those teenagers that were flirting with her were...

Oh God.
Huh...maybe that's why Vegeta ripped out their car wheel XD!!
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".