Anybody Else Bothered By GT'S Dolltacki Character?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5914
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Anybody Else Bothered By GT'S Dolltacki Character?

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:45 pm

By that logic (not that I'm weighing in on this debate, as I find the 2008 something of a gray area), the animanga is "canon" because... it's a manga. Just something to think about.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 11/9/20!)
Current Episode: Son or Clone? (The Power of Retcons) - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Majin Boo Arc Part 9!

User avatar
DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 12401
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:45 pm
Location: Greece

Re: Anybody Else Bothered By GT'S Dolltacki Character?

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:51 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:By that logic (not that I'm weighing in on this debate, as I find the 2008 something of a gray area), the animanga is "canon" because... it's a manga. Just something to think about.
I'm not talking about the animanga. I'm talking about the manga version. Two completely different things.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

User avatar
Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5914
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Anybody Else Bothered By GT'S Dolltacki Character?

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:15 pm

No. What you said is that the 2008 JSAT was not filler because there was a manga. That is equivalent to saying everything that happened in the TV series is not filler because it has a manga.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 11/9/20!)
Current Episode: Son or Clone? (The Power of Retcons) - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Majin Boo Arc Part 9!

User avatar
Fox666
I Live Here
Posts: 4343
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:18 am

Re: Anybody Else Bothered By GT'S Dolltacki Character?

Post by Fox666 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:30 am

That manga wasn't not made by Toriyama, however.

User avatar
Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5914
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Anybody Else Bothered By GT'S Dolltacki Character?

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:24 am

Exactly. That's my point.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 11/9/20!)
Current Episode: Son or Clone? (The Power of Retcons) - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Majin Boo Arc Part 9!

User avatar
Saiga
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8293
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:36 pm
Location: Space Australia

Re: Anybody Else Bothered By GT'S Dolltacki Character?

Post by Saiga » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:29 am

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the manga version also made after the anime version?
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

User avatar
Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5914
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Anybody Else Bothered By GT'S Dolltacki Character?

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:47 am

I'd correct you if you were wrong, but you are 100% Grade-A correct!
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 11/9/20!)
Current Episode: Son or Clone? (The Power of Retcons) - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Majin Boo Arc Part 9!

User avatar
DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 12401
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:45 pm
Location: Greece

Re: Anybody Else Bothered By GT'S Dolltacki Character?

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:15 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:No. What you said is that the 2008 JSAT was not filler because there was a manga. That is equivalent to saying everything that happened in the TV series is not filler because it has a manga.
What I was meaning was that not all of the JSAT is necessarily filler. If you have read the manga adaptation, you will see there are events that didn't happen in the manga, but happened in the anime.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

User avatar
Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5914
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Anybody Else Bothered By GT'S Dolltacki Character?

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:08 am

I still don't see how that implies any kind of "fillerness." Like has already been said, in this case, the manga is an adaptation of the animated special, so the animated version is the original work in this case. And filler does not mean, "Anything that happened in an animated version that didn't happen in a manga." It means, "Anything that is added to an adaptation that wasn't in the source material." And in the case of Dragon Ball, it is usually used to refer to, "Anything that didn't happen in Toriyama's original Dragon Ball manga or its guidebooks."
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 11/9/20!)
Current Episode: Son or Clone? (The Power of Retcons) - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Majin Boo Arc Part 9!

User avatar
DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 12401
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:45 pm
Location: Greece

Re: Anybody Else Bothered By GT'S Dolltacki Character?

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:53 am

Actually, filler is extra stuff added to the anime so that it will slow down. GT, the movies, OVAs, JSAT, etc, are not filler. So, I think we are both wrong in this argument, since the argument itself is wrong.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Post Reply