Piccolo Daimao Takes a Dive?!

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Re: Piccolo Daimao Takes a Dive?!

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:36 am

I believe that Namekians can only regenerate lost limbs, not other wounds like holes on their bodies.
shonenhikada wrote:Why is it Piccolo didn't react to Goku's attack ? PIS ?
Most likely because he was in panic and couldn't think clearly. It happens in real life very often to everyone when under panic.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:41 am

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:I believe that Namekians can only regenerate lost limbs, not other wounds like holes on their bodies.
Even though Piccolo regenerates his abdomen after Cell blasts most of it away?
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:45 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:I believe that Namekians can only regenerate lost limbs, not other wounds like holes on their bodies.
I always thought they used a senzu bean to fix him, but looking closely, you could be right. Either that or Toriyama drew the wound inconsistently between chapters.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:16 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
He didn't have a hole, a piece in the edge of his body was missing. It was sort of like a lost limb.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:30 am

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:He didn't have a hole, a piece in the edge of his body was missing. It was sort of like a lost limb.
It's more than a "piece", he's missing like half his abdomen at least; from his pecs to his waist, semicircle to around where his belly button would be...if he had one. it's about the same amount of damage Daimao took, only shifted a bit to the left. Regardless though, that would be nothing like a lost limb.

Mjb1985
Advanced Regular

Post by Mjb1985 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:11 am

A lot of good answers. Key things.

1) Cell not knowing about regeneration means it's possible PD doesn't.
2) Namekian had a hole punched in his chest by Dodoria.
3) Piccolo Jr is not a demon as stated by Kami.

shonenhikada
Banned

Post by shonenhikada » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:33 am

Mjb1985 wrote:A lot of good answers. Key things.

1) Cell not knowing about regeneration means it's possible PD doesn't.
2) Namekian had a hole punched in his chest by Dodoria.
3) Piccolo Jr is not a demon as stated by Kami.
How come no one thinks my theory is right ?

Mjb1985
Advanced Regular

Post by Mjb1985 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:40 am

It didn't appear the Namekian who was around 3,000 regeneration was superior to PD's. Hole in the chest is a problem for any Namekian.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:42 am

shonenhikada wrote:How come no one thinks my theory is right ?
I don't think anyone disagreed with it. In fact, I think a lot of people think the same thing.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:42 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:He didn't have a hole, a piece in the edge of his body was missing. It was sort of like a lost limb.
It's more than a "piece", he's missing like half his abdomen at least; from his pecs to his waist, semicircle to around where his belly button would be...if he had one. it's about the same amount of damage Daimao took, only shifted a bit to the left. Regardless though, that would be nothing like a lost limb.
Namekian regeneration works like this: it re-grows new parts. A part of Piccolo was missing from his body, so it grew back. Daimao had a hole, and holes don't grow back, they close, like any other wound like scratches or broken bones. We never see Namekians regenerating wounds, and Piccolo had to remove his injured arm to grow a new one in the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai, so I guess this proves this.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:49 pm

Do we know if Piccolo Daimaou could even regenerate? Maybe the regeneration ability is unique only to warrior-type Namekians, which Daimaou was not.
Herms wrote:Is it possible Boo-era Piccolo has regenerative powers greater than those of a typical Namekian? I mean, he is supposed to be a "Super Namekian" at this point.
I doubt it; nothing like that is ever suggested. I don’t know whether or not that was in jest, but “Super Namekian” was just Kuririn’s made-up term to refer to how strong Piccolo had become by that point. Only that, maybe, because he has more ki due to becoming stronger and more efficient at using it through training and merging with other Namekians, he can regenerate from greater wounds, and perhaps without losing as much power as a result. A bit like Cell, although he had a combination of different cells, including Saiyan.

Luckily, though, there are multiple interpretations for why Daimaou didn’t or couldn’t regenerate from Gokuu’s attack, so I guess that one could work too.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:04 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:Namekian regeneration works like this: it re-grows new parts. A part of Piccolo was missing from his body, so it grew back. Daimao had a hole, and holes don't grow back, they close, like any other wound like scratches or broken bones. We never see Namekians regenerating wounds, and Piccolo had to remove his injured arm to grow a new one in the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai, so I guess this proves this.
You saying "it works like this" doesn't mean that's how it actually works. Just because we don't see one regenerate an actual hole in their body doesn't mean they couldn't. Closing the hole would literally be the same thing as regrowing that specific part of their body. The series and guidebooks both say that Namekians can regenerate from any condition as long as their head remains in tact. BUT, we also know that regeneration costs a lot of ki, and their power stays down after they use it. Since the characters ki also drops after enough damage is done to their body, it's more logical to assume that regeneration just wasn't an option for most of the cases, either because too much damage was taken to vital organs or something, or regenerating would require more ki than they had.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:26 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:we also know that regeneration costs a lot of ki
To be fair, I'm not sure we know that for sure. I tried looking for lines in the manga and guides to back it up, but despite it seeming logical, I don't remember finding one. I've seen other people suggest that it doesn't use up (much(?)) ki and that the drop in ki could be from the damage they took before the regeneration. Of course, a mix of both seems pretty likely. And if regeneration didn't cost anything, why didn't Piccolo do it during the fight with Raditz?

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:51 pm

Bussani wrote:To be fair, I'm not sure we know that for sure. I tried looking for lines in the manga and guides to back it up, but despite it seeming logical, I don't remember finding one. I've seen other people suggest that it doesn't use up (much(?)) ki and that the drop in ki could be from the damage they took before the regeneration. Of course, a mix of both seems pretty likely. And if regeneration didn't cost anything, why didn't Piccolo do it during the fight with Raditz?
Well, that's kind of what I meant. I don't mean ALL regeneration costs a lot of ki. If Piccolo needed to regrow and antenna or a fingertip, he's not going to lose half his power or anything. But when it comes to the larger sections like limbs and torsos, it seems pretty obvious that the drop in ki afterward is directly related to the regeneration skill itself. When Nail was fighting Freeza, the tyrant didn't note the drop in the Namekian's power when he ripped his arm off, it was only after the he regrew the limb. The damage they have taken before hand could effect how much ki is required to use the skill, even on a relatively small part of their body (less if mostly health, a shit ton of they are nearly dead), but that's venturing further away from the facts...

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:59 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:When Nail was fighting Freeza, the tyrant didn't note the drop in the Namekian's power when he ripped his arm off, it was only after the he regrew the limb.
That could just be because Freeza was noting the regeneration didn't allow him to regain his full strength. On the whole I think about it more like you do, but I don't think there's anything that makes it obvious or factual that a different interpretation couldn't be right.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:47 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:You saying "it works like this" doesn't mean that's how it actually works. Just because we don't see one regenerate an actual hole in their body doesn't mean they couldn't. Closing the hole would literally be the same thing as regrowing that specific part of their body. The series and guidebooks both say that Namekians can regenerate from any condition as long as their head remains in tact.
Either way, we don't have enough proof if they can regenerate holes, so it can be only speculation.

Mjb1985
Advanced Regular

Post by Mjb1985 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:23 am

We know two Namekians COULDN'T regenerate holes through their bodies.

Until we get some proof that Piccolo could, aren't we wasting our time speculating? I'd like to see the proof that Namekians can regenerate holes through their bodies before speculating personally.

FNF
Temporarily Banned

Post by FNF » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:26 pm

Regenerating uses up a lot of power/stamina. He almost definitely didn't have enough.
Piccolo just managed to regenerate after he was decimated by Cell but that took a while. He probably had to let his stamina recover.
Voltaire: "I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it."

Other username on forums;
'Cocoman'

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:38 pm

I think regeneration is an entirely power based ability. We know it uses up ki because Freeza noted it when Nail did it. So it stands to reason, the stronger you are the better you're able to regenerate. So it's likely King Piccolo simply lacked the required amount of ki to regenerate his wound.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Toadster
Beyond Newbie

Post by Toadster » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:42 pm

King Piccolo was completely exhausted and totally out of energy when Goku pierced through his chest. I don't think he had the stamina to quickly recover from a fatal blow like that. He blew up in mere seconds. The blow was too powerful and he was out of stamina. Look at when Nappa killed Piccolo... Piccolo didn't lose any part of his body. However, the blow was so substantial that it killed him. Just because you can regenerate doesn't mean you can recover from any and all wounds.