If Saiyans > Kaioshin why was Piccolo afraid to fight?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TobyS
I Live Here

If Saiyans > Kaioshin why was Piccolo afraid to fight?

Post by TobyS » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:31 am

If Piccolos "our dimensions are too different" comment was about strength, how does this make sense.

He was effectively expecting to fight Cell Games super saiyan 2 Gohan. (Not knowing his power dropped) SS1/2 Vegeta and Son Goku.

They did not initially have the "no going ssj" rule in place when he decided to to take part in the tournament.

We later learn by feats mainly that SSJ1 >> Kaioshin.

How does this make sense.

I find it impossible to believe Piccolo is weaker.

I think some retconning went on with Kaioshins strength later as well, so it borders on plot hole too imo.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Mystic Gohan
Regular

Re: If Saiyans > Kaioshin why was Piccolo afraid to fight?

Post by Mystic Gohan » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:34 am

Kaioshin was emitting no ki for anyone to sense. It was implied that Piccolo knew who Kaioshin was. He quit out of respect IMO.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:38 am

That's what I really want to believe too, but translators on here have said the line he used to describe it is a common one used to describe power.

Of course some people are bias as putting him below Kaioshin is neccesary pre-requisite for sickeningly putting him below Base/SSJ kids.

Mystic Gohan
Regular

Post by Mystic Gohan » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:00 am

This is the one time where it is supposed to be taken literally IMO. Remember that even Kaioshin is thinking: "Piccolo is starting to figure out who I am, after all he used to be the god of this planet". Or something near there.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:01 am

TobyS wrote:If Piccolos "our dimensions are too different" comment was about strength, how does this make sense.

He was effectively expecting to fight Cell Games super saiyan 2 Gohan. (Not knowing his power dropped) SS1/2 Vegeta and Son Goku.

They did not initially have the "no going ssj" rule in place when he decided to to take part in the tournament.
Maybe he wasn't expecting to win against them.
We later learn by feats mainly that SSJ1 >> Kaioshin.

How does this make sense.

I find it impossible to believe Piccolo is weaker.
Another option similar to Mystic Gohan's is that Piccolo thought Kaioshin was stronger based on his rank, but was overestimating him.

Keep in mind these two suggestions aren't meant to be compatible. I have no idea if Piccolo is supposed to be stronger than Kaioshin or not, so I'm just throwing out ideas off the top of my head.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:17 am

TobyS wrote:If Piccolos "our dimensions are too different" comment was about strength, how does this make sense.
The line's pretty definitely about strength. Though I suppose you could still argue that Piccolo overestimates Kaioshin's strength relative to his own, or is simply lying to Goku (wanting to keep his suspicions to himself but needing to give some reason for throwing the match).

Not sure what this has to do with anything. Nothing indicates that Piccolo thought he had a chance of winning the tournament. He never even makes any "friendly rival"-type boasts. Kuririn and No.18 enter as well, but I don't think that tells us anything about their strength relative to Goku and co.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:23 am

Herms wrote:
The line's pretty definitely about strength. Though I suppose you could still argue that Piccolo overestimates Kaioshin's strength relative to his own, or is simply lying to Goku (wanting to keep his suspicions to himself but needing to give some reason for throwing the match).

Not sure what this has to do with anything. Nothing indicates that Piccolo thought he had a chance of winning the tournament. He never even makes any "friendly rival"-type boasts. Kuririn and No.18 enter as well, but I don't think that tells us anything about their strength relative to Goku and co.
Well of course he was not expecting to win against any SSJ2's but my point was he was prepared to fight those dudes. Lets throw in some arbitrary numbers:

Piccolo is 3
Kaioshin is 6
Saiyans are 9

"I am prepared to fight anyone up to a strength of 9" - Piccolo
"Woah this 6 guy is too strong for me" - Piccolo

wha?

I like the "lied to Goku about power being an issue" theory.
I also like the Piccolo/everyone overestimated Kaioshins strength.

But could you really over-estimate someones strength so much that you think someone weaker than you is someone stronger.

No offence but the Kuririn and 18 thing is irrelevant they specifically mention their intention is to just place as high as possible to win prize money.

Piccolo ain't in it for the paper, ergo he was expecting to fight, and the fact he was willing to meant he didn't expect to be totally roflstomped by dudes already stronger than kaioshin...

The whole thing confuses me...

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:37 am

There's a difference between fighting his friends and fighting a complete stranger, though.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:14 am

TobyS wrote:But could you really over-estimate someones strength so much that you think someone weaker than you is someone stronger.
I don't see why not. If he knows nothing about Kaioshin other than the fact that he's the highest god, then it should be pretty easy to overestimate him.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

the_abberration
Regular

Post by the_abberration » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:44 am

TobyS wrote:Well of course he was not expecting to win against any SSJ2's but my point was he was prepared to fight those dudes.
Also throw in that Goku would have held back to keep the fight even (with maybe just enough increase to win the match in the end). Gohan would have held back or even forfeited, out of respect to Piccolo. Vegeta is a toss up. He may have did the same as Goku, and save any extra power for a possible Goku match up (as well as taunting Piccolo). Or just power up to his strongest level, and make short work of Piccolo.

Piccolo would have factored those points in, since he had some insight on how they would think, from prior experiences (23rd tournament, former mentor/father figure, and rival/fellow combatant respectively).
TobyS wrote:But could you really over-estimate someones strength so much that you think someone weaker than you is someone stronger.
Why not? Holding someone in a position of reverence can do that. Case in point. Gohan does it with Goku against Cell, when he thought Goku was holding back against him.
1 Corinthians 13: When I was a child, I spoke and thought and reasoned as a child. But when I grew up, I put away childish things. Except the anime. Never the anime.

"Look. I'm not allowed to hold you, but I'm sworn to protect you"-Sergeant Hatred

The Lineup: Danger Mouse

Mystic Gohan
Regular

Post by Mystic Gohan » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:30 pm

TobyS wrote:
Herms wrote:

Well of course he was not expecting to win against any SSJ2's but my point was he was prepared to fight those dudes. Lets throw in some arbitrary numbers:

Piccolo is 3
Kaioshin is 6
Saiyans are 9

"I am prepared to fight anyone up to a strength of 9" - Piccolo
"Woah this 6 guy is too strong for me" - Piccolo

wha?

I like the "lied to Goku about power being an issue" theory.
I also like the Piccolo/everyone overestimated Kaioshins strength.

But could you really over-estimate someones strength so much that you think someone weaker than you is someone stronger.

No offence but the Kuririn and 18 thing is irrelevant they specifically mention their intention is to just place as high as possible to win prize money.

Piccolo ain't in it for the paper, ergo he was expecting to fight, and the fact he was willing to meant he didn't expect to be totally roflstomped by dudes already stronger than kaioshin...

The whole thing confuses me...
Vegeta does admit later that they all overestimated Kaioshin.

Herms

Post by Herms » Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:52 pm

Mystic Gohan wrote:Vegeta does admit later that they all overestimated Kaioshin.
Vegeta says that he and Goku have gotten so strong that Kaioshin, who should be a really impressive guy, isn't much compared to them. And Kaioshin makes a big deal about how strong Goku, Gohan, and Vegeta all are, since random non-gods aren't supposed to be stronger than him. But there's nothing about Kaioshin being weaker than Piccolo expected, or Piccolo being stronger than Kaioshin expected.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:36 pm

Just since it hasn't been mentioned yet, Kaioshin's Daizenshuu 7 bio also says that his strength is "far superior" to Piccolo's. For whatever that's worth.

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:29 pm

Piccolo doesn't have to be that strong. He was comparable to #17 and then went into ROSAT once or twice. Then trained for 7 years I guess, but probably much less intensively. He doesn't have to be so strong that Kaioshin being far superior to him would seem wrong.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:08 pm

hleV wrote:Piccolo doesn't have to be that strong. He was comparable to #17 and then went into ROSAT once or twice. Then trained for 7 years I guess, but probably much less intensively. He doesn't have to be so strong that Kaioshin being far superior to him would seem wrong.
Yeah, but what TobyS is saying is that Piccolo was entering a tournament where he'd be up against Super Saiyans who are stronger than Kaioshin. If Kaioshin is far stronger than Piccolo, and the Super Saiyans are far stronger than Kaioshin, then what was Piccolo thinking?

Honestly, I'd still believe he didn't expect to win and was just entering because it would be fun. You know, for old times' sake? See how much more incredible Goku has become, etc.
Last edited by Bussani on Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Herms

Post by Herms » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:51 pm

Bussani wrote:Honestly, I'd still believe he didn't expect to win and was just entering because it would be fun. You know, for old times sake? See how much more incredible Goku has become, etc.
I'd say this is the most likely explanation.

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:48 am

Well, with the "no SSJ rule" that Goku laid out, Piccolo would still have a great chance at winning, considering that he didn't need to transform to reach that level of power.
But with Kaioshin, both had great power. In other words it wouldn't play out to have a fight between them.

IMO I just believe that out of universe, they didn't fight out of the following reasons:

- Piccolo had become a side-line character to gauge the new enemies' strengths (hell, he is even paired up with Kuririn against Dabra to show Dabra's terrifying powers!).
- Piccolo went against Imperfect Cell who was much stronger than him (when he was fighting #17). He is no stranger to still fight when he is outclassed. So to make him to not fight against Kaioshin they bring out his inner Kami. I mean, just for convenience's sake they make his Kami side to emerge (it had been pretty much GONE since his "I am not Kami nor Piccolo" line).

Piccolo's role in the Boo arc is the following:

- To make Kaioshin to look SO great that Buu seems even more terrifying when Kaioshin tells about him. (Whilst Vegeta comments about how puny Kaioshin is compared to him).
- To make Dabra seem intimidating and dangerous. (Whilst Vegeta comments about how puny Gohan has come).
- To make him to gauge other enemies' strengths (like Kuririn, he became the new arc's human scouter).
- To make him a mentor for Goten and Trunks.

It doesn't matter if he was stronger or not. Toriyama had already decided that Piccolo would be "Kuririn No. 2".
I mean, the relationship Piccolo had with Goten and Trunks was pretty mcuch the same that Kuririn had with Gohan in the Namek arc.

Piccolo is the new Kuririn.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:21 am

Personally, I think the the Kaioshin's importance/strength was retconned in a way because Toriyama didn't think his role in this arc properly through. Knowing the author's tendancy to not plan his story that carefully and write by the seat of his pants, it just might be that he didn't know how to use the character other than exposition and the worf effect. He pretty much becomes a joke later on, which is why think a lot of people have difficulty accepting him as being the stronger.

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:46 am

Piccolo just didn't want to fight someone holy. It'll be like wanting to fight the Dalai Llama or Jesus. It was probably the Kami inside him that held him back.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:43 pm

It's because Kaioshin is a whiny shit, and Piccolo didn't want to humiliate him in front of everyone because the purple fucker wind-up crying about it.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.