Did Freeza train?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mr. Piccolo
Beyond Newbie

Did Freeza train?

Post by Mr. Piccolo » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:43 pm

Did Freeza ever train? I get the impression that he did not train and that he was simply born with vast amounts of power that likely developed as he matured. If that impression is accurate, do people here think that, had he trained, Freeza could have become more powerfu? Was Freeza at his absolute peak when he fought Super Saiyan Goku? I like to think that Freeza could have become stronger with training, maybe developing another transformation or something like that.
Kami is my co-pilot.

penguintruth
Banned

Re: Did Freeza train?

Post by penguintruth » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:55 pm

He and Zarbon spent a lot of time sweating it out in his mother's basement, working their pecs. The soundtrack to Xanadu blasting, as their bodies writhed in heat, their wifebeaters clinging to their rippled abs as they huffed and strained.

Oh, and they did some exercise, too.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:29 pm

It's possible that he did some training with Cold in his younger yrs--probably to get the basics down. However, I don't think Freeza did any sort of training to acquire the powers we've seen him display. I believe he was simply born with all of his power, and gained better control of them over the yrs through the use of his more conservative forms.
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:58 pm

It was briefly mentioned that Kyui was waiting for Vegeta at the training room, so I guess Freeza or Zarbon also do some training, but still have slackened. Besides Freeza seemed quite a good fighter to never have done any training. And he did train before he appeared again with Cold.

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:01 pm

Freeza trained before he appeared on earth with Cold?
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:33 pm

He said he powered-up... unless it is because of his mechanical parts?

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:45 pm

Yeah, I think the Mecha upgrade is why he ended up more powerful.

In fact, I believe it's stated in the Daizenshuu that he obtained incredible power through mechanization.

Here it is:
"Freeza had tenaciously been revived and became a demon of vengeance. Through mechanization, he had obtained even more gigantic power, but he is completely powerless before Super Saiyan Trunks. Easily dodging Freeza's sneak attack, Trunks finely chops up Freeza and then finally eradicates the remaining pieces."

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:02 pm

Well, I guess it's the same as it was with Tao Pai Pai.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:08 pm

I don't think Freeza trained. I think he was just born into great power and didn't have to work for it.

If he did train, he might get stronger, or at least better at handling his higher forms. But I doubt he could find transformations to get stronger, since that's not how his transformations work.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:29 pm

I also believe Freeza was simply born with his great power. He probably could get stronger with training, but it depends on the type. If it was just training he did on his own with the mentality he always had, I don't think he'd get far. If he changed his ways and learned about the spiritual nature of ki, on the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if he could make a large leap in power.
Saiga wrote:If he did train, he might get stronger, or at least better at handling his higher forms. But I doubt he could find transformations to get stronger, since that's not how his transformations work.
I also don't think that's how his transformations work, but I think it would be cool if he could come up with a new kind of transformation that did work that way.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Mystic Gohan
Regular

Post by Mystic Gohan » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:11 am

Didn't Freeza say something like: "You're the first one to hurt me since I was a boy training with my father."?

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:46 am

From the Strength Checker:

Freeza: “I didn’t think you’d be this good…You’re the first person besides my parent who’s got dust on me…This might be the first time in my life I’ve been so excited…”

Mystic Gohan
Regular

Post by Mystic Gohan » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:09 am

Musta been some anime crap huh? That line is kind of vague though. Doesn't necessarily mean training.

Bando
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bando » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:13 am

Well he must've to have put up such a good fight, no?

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:58 am

Yeah, personally I think in order to be called the strongest in the universe he had to beat up his parents and prove it. So he did just that, but didn't come away spotless.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:14 am

I think Freeza's just a natural born genius.

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:17 am

I think Freeza probably trained in the same sense that ordinary humans train (just getting exercise and practicing some basic techniques, rather than pushing himself to near-death and coming up with new techniques and meditating and all the other fancy ki stuff that Goku and company do), just enough to keep him in shape, keep his reflexes sharp, and figure out how to fight and use some ki attacks like his Kienzan-like technique, Death Beams, and so on. He certainly didn't do anything like gravity-room training or any of the other really extreme methods the main cast uses, and most of his power probably just developed without much effort as he grew to adulthood.

Going by Cooler, Freeza probably could've developed a "5th form" (which I guess would basically be a perfected version of his "100%" power, put into a new form to cut down on the strain and maybe allow for even greater power than before, rather than just bulking himself up) just like what Cooler had if he had trained a lot more than he did and at least tried to gain better control over his power. Which would also mean he wouldn't need to go around in suppressed forms all the time to conserve energy, also like Cooler.

So yeah, I think pretty much anyone can benefit from training, or at least anyone who's actually a living being (Android 16 couldn't get any benefits from training aside from figuring out new combat techniques or something, since he only has his artificial power source and no natural ki, plus his body is completely mechanical and can't grow stronger that way.) If Freeza did serious training like Goku and company, especially the ki-related stuff, he'd probably be able to get stronger to some extent... though he'd probably need some pretty extreme training to get much stronger than his current level (and being so durable, being able to survive pretty much anything even up to being cut in half, might actually work against him, since a lot of training--even for people who don't get near-death boosts--involves pushing past your previous limits and wearing yourself out and then recovering stronger than before.)

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:07 pm

I don’t believe so. Like the Ginyuu Tokusentai, I think that Freeza was a mutant of his race gifted with extraordinary power at his birth that may’ve increased over time with age. He might’ve trained a bit with his father, Great King Kold, when he was a child.

If we compare him to Coola, perhaps he could’ve increased his power and maybe even unlocked a new form if he didn’t slack off and kept at his training, rather than resting on his laurels and letting his henchmen do nearly all the muscle work for him.
Last edited by Piccolo Daimao on Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Mr. Piccolo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr. Piccolo » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:35 pm

Thanks for the replies. To all those mentioning Cooler's last transformation, that was exactly what I was thinking of in my post, but I forgot to mention that specifically. But regarding the transformations, which form is the "true form" for Freeza and his relatives? I am quite perplexed by this. King Cold's last form, for example, looks like Freeza's second form. I am assuming King Cold did not have additional forms after the form we see, as I think he would have transformed in the fight against Future Trunks. Are the forms something they develop via training or are they predetermined from birth? If the latter is true, I suppose training might be less useful.
Kami is my co-pilot.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:49 pm

That's...a hard question to answer. A lot of people will tell you that Freeza's final form is his "original" form, and that his other forms are transformations that suppress his power. There are certainly lines of dialogue that suggest this, and it's the impression I got, too, but I don't think it's the only way of interpreting these lines. The guides never really touch on the subject, either, so we kind of have to guess what Toriyama was going for. I also have no idea if Kold could transform, and if he could, whether he would become much stronger or what. Maybe the form he was in serves some other purpose?
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!