Why did Son Gohan keep his body?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dorexx
Regular

Why did Son Gohan keep his body?

Post by Dorexx » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:43 am

So, what do you think is the deal with Goku's gramps having his body while being dead, and how was he permitted to come back for a day? Do you think Baba asked for permission in his case or she did it "illegally"? Dai Kaio wasn't so pleased with letting Goku go. It seemed like an extremely rare or a one-time only thing. Also, could it be that Baba arranged for his body to be given back for this event?

This topic is for fan-theories and discussion. Feel free to make up stuff about how stuff works in the DB afterlife, and Universe.
酷签名

Fox666
I Live Here

Re: Why did Son Gohan keep his body?

Post by Fox666 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:13 am

I think it was mentioned that those who wish to train in the afterlife keep their bodies.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:20 pm

Dorexx wrote:Do you think Baba asked for permission in his case or she did it "illegally"? Dai Kaio wasn't so pleased with letting Goku go. It seemed like an extremely rare or a one-time only thing.
I think this is another manga/anime difference. In the manga Goku coming back for a day is just treated as a standard thing Uranai Baba could do for any dead person, which fits into what Grampa Gohan says about her frequently scouting dead martial arts masters to fight for her. There's no scene where the Dai-Kaio or anyone has reservations about him returning.

As for him keeping his body, we're never really given clear criteria for who qualifies to keep theirs in the afterlife. We just know (per Goku's post-Cell Games explanation) that regular people and really evil guys like Cell don't get them and are just spirits in the afterlife, while Goku gets special treatment for saving the Earth. What else you could do to get special treatment isn't specified, but Goku also says there's lot of martial arts masters in the afterlife for him to pal around with, and presumably those guys have bodies. Which also ties back into Gohan's statement about Uranai Baba recruiting masters from the afterlife to fight for her. Overall it seems to be comparitively common for martial arts masters to keep their bodies in the afterlife, and Gohan fits into that category.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Mr. Piccolo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr. Piccolo » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:38 pm

Interesting topic. Besides the things mentioned in the excellent responses so far, I would just add that perhaps Son Gohan’s personal goodness may also come into play here. I always assumed that Son Gohan had a major influence on Goku’s development as a kind person. Being a martial arts master coupled with some good deeds or a good heart seems to be the criterion for getting to keep one's body in the Afterlife.

In fact, I always thought it was odd for Toei to focus so much on Bardock, whom Goku never knew and who was arguably not a good person (killing all kinds of people to sell their planets to Freeza), while leaving Grandpa Gohan without any movies or TV specials of his own!
Kami is my co-pilot.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:42 pm

There was also something (but only in the dub maybe, since I'm having trouble recalling hearing it in the Japanese version) about Goku getting to keep his body due to all of the good he did in life, so I always just assumed that Grandpa Gohan did something similar. It wouldn't have been on near the same scale as what Goku did later obviously, but for all we know he saved the world once back in the day too.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:14 pm

Mr. Piccolo wrote:In fact, I always thought it was odd for Toei to focus so much on Bardock, whom Goku never knew and who was arguably not a good person (killing all kinds of people to sell their planets to Freeza), while leaving Grandpa Gohan without any movies or TV specials of his own!
Arguably?

Also Bardock looks like Goku, so Toei can squint and keep fapping.

Mr. Piccolo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr. Piccolo » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:18 pm

Rocketman wrote:
Mr. Piccolo wrote:In fact, I always thought it was odd for Toei to focus so much on Bardock, whom Goku never knew and who was arguably not a good person (killing all kinds of people to sell their planets to Freeza), while leaving Grandpa Gohan without any movies or TV specials of his own!
Arguably?

Also Bardock looks like Goku, so Toei can squint and keep fapping.
Yeah, you are right. I also assume people like the Bardock character because his story is dramatic, at least for Dragon Ball. Still, I would love a movie or TV special about Son Gohan and the Ox King. That would be pretty interesting.
Kami is my co-pilot.

Ketchup_Revenge
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ketchup_Revenge » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:23 pm

Just a theory, but it could've been that he was given his body back so he could return to Earth and fight, not that he'd kept it when he died in the first place.
I wipe it off the tile, the light is brighter this time, everything is 3D blasphemy.
My eyes are red and gold, the hair is standing straight up, this is not the way I picture me.
I can't control my shakes, how the hell did I get here? Something about this, so very wrong.
I have to laugh out loud, I wish I didn't like this. Is it a dream or a memory?

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:38 pm

Ketchup_Revenge wrote:Just a theory, but it could've been that he was given his body back so he could return to Earth and fight, not that he'd kept it when he died in the first place.
It's possible. Nothing in the series suggests that, but nothing flat out contradicts it either. Though I suppose Gohan's interest in the pretty gals in the afterlife implies he had a body there. There's also the filler at the end of the DB anime where we see Gohan with his body working with Annin at the boarder between the living world and afterlife, although you could say he was also especially given a body to fulfill those duties.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:54 pm

Rocketman wrote:
Arguably?
Yeah, terms like good or bad are subjective. Is the presidents of the United States good?

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:41 pm

Bardock was basically Vegeta's personality in Goku's body. He was a violent sociopath.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:38 pm

Fox666 wrote:
Rocketman wrote:
Arguably?
Yeah, terms like good or bad are subjective. Is the presidents of the United States good?
No US President has personally killed a billion people, oddly enough.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:53 pm

Teddy Roosevelt came close.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Can I get a Schemen?

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:59 pm

penguintruth wrote:Bardock was basically Vegeta's personality in Goku's body. He was a violent sociopath.
Well, Bardock does have some compassion, like for his teammates. Vegeta on the other hand....

Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

Deep Thought
Beyond Newbie

Post by Deep Thought » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:10 am

Yeah, to add to that, Bardock did seem to have at least a small amount of fondness for his people, as illustrated by him trying to save them, rather than saving himself, which would have been rather easy to do. Vegeta, at least at first, is just a total sociopathic degenerate who cares for no one but himself, hence him belittling his own deceased father.

Bardock is still evil and was sent straight to hell, though. No question about that.

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:01 am

Don't forget that Bardock went back in time, saved the Plant people from space thugs, and then walked off heroically into the sunset in Bardock 2. Or when he broke free from being mind controlled in the future and sacrificed himself to save the son he never met in the World of Dragon Quest. He is a good guy.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:05 am

Oh yeah, total prick, definitely burning in hell! Just slightly less douchy than Vegeta.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:06 am

Raditz and Nappa had some compassion for their fellows too, and they went straight to hell. Vegeta was an asshole even by Saiyan standards.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:19 am

Nappa actually didn't go to Hell, because he accepted Kami-sama (despite killing him) as his personal Savior just as he was dying.

Now he writes columns for World Net Daily.

Can I get a Schemen?

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:24 am

Bardok never really came off as "evil" to me. He seemed more like someone with a rough personality who was just doing his job. We see that Nappa liked to taunt his opponents, Raditz was a coward and was very proud and that Vegeta made them look like the nicest people in the world yet we see none of that with Bardok. All we know is that he blew up planets for a living which is bad yes, but it's all we ever see him do. There's nothing to suggest he would kill any non Saiyan creature he came into contact with (off duty) or if he would torture them while laughing until they died.