Capsule Corp. and the Red Ribbon Army

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mr. Piccolo
Beyond Newbie

Capsule Corp. and the Red Ribbon Army

Post by Mr. Piccolo » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:36 am

A long time ago, I read on some website (cannot recall which one, this was years ago) that Capsule Corp. and Red Ribbon had been competitors in the machine business. Eventually, Capsule Corp. won the competition and Red Ribbon became the Red Ribbon Army, the criminal/terrorist organization we see in the series. Is there any truth to this? This always seemed like a fan-made rumor to me.
Kami is my co-pilot.

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Re: Capsule Corp. and the Red Ribbon Army

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:03 pm

First time hearing that one. Sounds like something straight out of a fanfic.
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

CaBrPi
Advanced Regular

Post by CaBrPi » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:13 pm

I've heard it too, somewhere.

Probably the Dragon Ball wiki. :|

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:25 pm

Not that it isn't a really cool idea.

... Because it is.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Tzigi
Regular

Post by Tzigi » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:42 pm

Mr. Piccolo wrote:A long time ago, I read on some website (cannot recall which one, this was years ago) that Capsule Corp. and Red Ribbon had been competitors in the machine business. Eventually, Capsule Corp. won the competition and Red Ribbon became the Red Ribbon Army, the criminal/terrorist organization we see in the series. Is there any truth to this? This always seemed like a fan-made rumor to me.
Actually the french book "Le dictionnaire de Dragon Ball" has such a quote:
"World market of vehicles:
year 750: Capsule Corp : 40%
Red Ribbon Army 16%
Others 44%
year 778: Capsule Corp: 48%
Others 52%
(...)
Red Ribbon Army
In the domain of vehicles, the Red Ribbon Army was the biggest rival of Capsule Corporation. They may have differed in their objectives - civilian for one and military for the other - those two companies clashed at the level of production of vehicles. At the level of quality Capsule Corporation has won without any doubts with its rival. When the latter was destroyed, the company of professor Brif (sic!) did not get any other opponent.
(...)
The biggest rival: Red Ribbon Army
"
Page 192 of the book. I know, it's french so it's like semi-canon but still it is no "fan-made rumour". And I'm sorry for the lousy translation but I'm not a native speaker of either french nor english...

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:53 pm

Tzigi wrote:Actually the french book "Le dictionnaire de Dragon Ball" has such a quote:
That's a pretty direct translation of the equivalent page in Daizenshuu 7:
Their greatest rival was the Red Ribbon Army
The Red Ribbon Army was Capsule Corporation’s rival, though only in the vehicle category. Though there’s a huge difference between a business and an army, or general use and military use, at one time they competed in vehicle production numbers. However, performance-wise Capsule Corporation completely took the lead. After the Red Ribbon Army was wiped out, it’s safe to say that Capsule Corporation has no rivals.

Percentage of Worldwide Vehicle Makers
Age 750
Capsule Corporation: 40%
Red Ribbon Army: 16%
Other: 44%

Age 778
Capsule Corporation: 48%
Other: 52%
So in short, while the RR was an evil army bent on world conquest they made lots of military vehicles, making them CC's competitors in the vehicle market. Then Goku put them out of business and CC became market leader by an even more absurd margin than before. But it wasn't that the RR made vehicles in competition with CC and only afterwards starting taking over the world.

Like I said, this snippet comes from Daizenshuu 7. It's from a feature on Capsule Corporation on pages 202-203, somewhat randomly stuck in the middle of the items dictionary. Most of the dictionaries in Daizenshuu 7 have little features like this stuck in the middle of them (the infamous battle power chart is the one featured in the character dictionary). The bit on the RR is at the end. Here's a translation of the rest of the section:
Capsule Corporation, Soaring throughout the World
Bulma’s father Briefs is the representative director of the world-leading company Capsule Corporation. Follow Capsule Corporation’s life, starting with the invention of the Hoi-Poi Capsule.

The president who established the company within a single generation
One invention, the Hoi-Poi Capsule, established the grand company that is one of the greatest in the world. The brain of the genius inventor Dr. Brief is the driving force behind Capsule Corporation.

Clothing, electronics, prefabricated housing: advancing rapidly in many different directions
The worldwide earnings of Hoi-Poi Capsules is far outside the norm. The figures from merely the royalty fees from outside products made by the company is estimated to climb to an extraordinary amount of money. Making use of these funds, Capsule Corporation has spread out into various branches. Its clothing brand has many fans, and its electronics are wildly popular for their functional designs.

48% of the vehicles on Earth are Capsule Corporation products
Out of all of Capsule Corporation’s products, the most popular are their vehicles. They develop, manufacture, and sell every kind of vehicle. Because Briefs himself makes the basic blueprints, their mileage, performance, and design leave nothing to be desired. They have already achieved the miraculous feat of holding close to half of the worldwide market share.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:13 pm

You learn something new everyday 8)
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

NANLIT
Beyond Newbie

Post by NANLIT » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:15 pm

I see how it is. Everything we thought about the Red Ribbon Army is a lie. The Red Ribbon Army wasn't evil at all. It was propaganda by the Capsule Corporation in order to get more of the vehicle market. Goku was paid by Bulma in secret to make Bulma and her family even richer. It's all a giant conspiracy!

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:35 pm

NANLIT wrote:I see how it is. Everything we thought about the Red Ribbon Army is a lie. The Red Ribbon Army wasn't evil at all. It was propaganda by the Capsule Corporation in order to get more of the vehicle market. Goku was paid by Bulma in secret to make Bulma and her family even richer. It's all a giant conspiracy!
Yeah. Apart from the...y'know...genocide.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.