King Vegeta's Necklace/Pendant

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:46 pm

Well, this is Dragon Ball, and especially filler, so I don't think there's any underlying message or symbolism in that pendant. The only symbolism I can find is the fall of the Saiyan empire/kingdom/planet whatever.
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

Sho™
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Sho™ » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:41 pm

I was more interested in the symbol to the right of Vegeta-ousama's pendant, on the body armour. Doesn't that signify something similar to the bearer being of the royal line? It is a nice thought, you have to admit. :)
[i]"Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time..."[/i]
[| [url=http://rpg.naget.com]Ganadu'r - The Eternal Saga[/url] |]

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:54 pm

Speaking of his name, it's a matter that I wonder about. Mainly because when hearing "Vegeta Ou", sometimes I saw it translated as either "King Vegeta" or "King of Planet Vegeta". So is he like his son, named after the planet, or is he being addressed by title.

Sho™
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Sho™ » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:06 pm

He's named after the planet. 'Vegeta-Ou' translates into 'King Vegeta', the 'ou' of course meaning King. The 'sama' suffix I added in my above post, denotes a term of high respect. 'Ouji' means 'Prince', and is added to our Vegeta's name.

Vegeta-sei means 'Planet Vegeta', ('-sei' added to the end of Vegeta obviously makes it a planet) a sure sign that he is named after the planet, or vice versa pertaining to his ansectors.

This means he is also addressed by title, although we don't see much of it. Incidentally Vegeta-ouji states often enough to others that he is the 'Saiya-jin no Ouji'. (Prince of the Saiya)

Apologies if it's a little confusing. :P

Also I'm not sure if the 'ô' is best for saying 'ou' in this case. Hm.
[i]"Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time..."[/i]
[| [url=http://rpg.naget.com]Ganadu'r - The Eternal Saga[/url] |]

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:59 pm

Sho™ wrote:I was more interested in the symbol to the right of Vegeta-ousama's pendant, on the body armour. Doesn't that signify something similar to the bearer being of the royal line? It is a nice thought, you have to admit. :)
I totally notice that symbol all the time during the various flashbacks. Is it supposed to be the Saiya-jin seal I wonder? It has also been on some DBZ merchandise as well. I never hear anyone talk about it though.

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:30 pm

Jerseymilk wrote:Oh so Saiyajins wouldn't consider a necklace a "sissy thing" on guy? :P
Maybe he just dodges around the word "necklace" by saying "pendant", or better yet, "medallion".

What are you talking about, the things on his shoulder? Because those look like fancy buttons that fasten his royal cape on.

Edit: Ooh, nevermind, the right... that painted tattoo sort of thing. I don't know what it is, maybe some kind of royal decoration, yes. It somewhat reminds me of the brand on Guts' neck.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:28 pm

Zackarotto wrote:
Jerseymilk wrote:Oh so Saiyajins wouldn't consider a necklace a "sissy thing" on guy? :P
Maybe he just dodges around the word "necklace" by saying "pendant", or better yet, "medallion".

What are you talking about, the things on his shoulder? Because those look like fancy buttons that fasten his royal cape on.

Edit: Ooh, nevermind, the right... that painted tattoo sort of thing. I don't know what it is, maybe some kind of royal decoration, yes. It somewhat reminds me of the brand on Guts' neck.
The insignia on his armor represents the Royal House of Vegeta, not so much that he's the King (It's like the Uchiha symbol from Naruto symbolizing that all those wearing it belong to the Uchiha Clan). This was stated in King Vegeta's bio in daizenshuu 7, but no info on the pendent itself was given.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:45 am

That's funny, considering that all of Saiya-jin armory (sp?) was made by Freeza (or so I recall it). I'm sure Freeza wouldn't put any insignia on them, because:

1 - He didn't care if King Vegeta was member of royalty

2 - He did rule over all Saiya-jin (wether they liked it, or not)

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:27 am

alakazam^ wrote:That's funny, considering that all of Saiya-jin armory (sp?) was made by Freeza (or so I recall it). I'm sure Freeza wouldn't put any insignia on them, because:

1 - He didn't care if King Vegeta was member of royalty

2 - He did rule over all Saiya-jin (wether they liked it, or not)
He didn't rule over them as king. The Saiyans had a treaty with him. This meant they could choose to not comply with certain missions he gave them if they chose to. It's just that chances are the Saiyans wouldn't want to, considering they'll fight anything, and that it would be dangerous to resist him given his strength. So basically they were his slaves since the choice wasn't theirs to make. Concerning the insignia, Freeza didn't make the armor himself, slaves did. It's more than possible that slaves were told to simply add the insignia to a handful of them.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.