Exactly what does Kami do?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

tealsmith
Beyond Newbie

Exactly what does Kami do?

Post by tealsmith » Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:22 pm

Serious question. What do the Kamis of Earth do all day? They're supposed to be 'Guardians' but you never really see them doing much guarding. Do they control the weather? Decide the lottery numbers? I mean really. Outside of making the Dragonballs, our two Earth Kamis never really seemed to do much, outside of stand around the Lookout all day, talking with Mr. Popo, then relying on Goku and the Z Senshi to actually 'Guard' over Earth.

So what's the deal?
"My heart, it ceases. My breath, undrawn. My eyes forever focussed - on the sanguine metal dawn." - Caduca, Thief II: The Metal Age

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:55 pm

Who knows...

I guess he just stands around on the temple, looking down...and stuff.

Perhaps he just trains warriors to fight, or goes down to fight himself.

It's not really explained. When he's introduced, it's percieved that he's pretty much God. But as we see later on, he's far from a perfect deity. Especially when they bring that kid to replace him. :shock:
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

tealsmith
Beyond Newbie

Post by tealsmith » Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:48 am

*PINHEAD* wrote:Especially when they bring that kid to replace him. :shock:
No kidding. I mean, no offense to Dende, but the only reason he got the job was because he could whip up some Dragonballs.

Otherwise, they might as well have made Mr. Satan Earth's Kami.
"My heart, it ceases. My breath, undrawn. My eyes forever focussed - on the sanguine metal dawn." - Caduca, Thief II: The Metal Age

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:46 am

Goku was actually proposed the job at the end of original DB, and while he initially refused because of his promise to Chichi of getting married, I think he would of made a much more lazy yet more protecting "Gaurdian". The thing you gotta remnember about the Kamis is they gotta let the people of Earth handle situations by themselves, thus only lending a hand when it's really called for.

Also even in creating the dragonballs, that still came back to bite Dende and everyone else on the ass in the end of the trilogy. Ironic that the Kamis were responsible for creating the ultimate evil, the Dark Dragons. It wasn't Bulma's fault, wasn't even Goku's fault, it was the Kamis for never warning the danger the balls could be.
14 years later

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Sep 11, 2005 1:33 pm

Kami has the attitude of letting people handle things themselves until something they can't handle at all comes along like a monster/demon/alien. The reason he didn't deal with Piccolo Daimao is because of the if-one-dies rule and Kamis can't kill themselves. Popo wouldn't let Kami die, so he wouldn't fight him either. From then on, every problem was stronger than Kami.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:51 am

I realize this is rather late, and not a huge contribution, but... Kami's actions (or lack thereof) in the series remind me of a certain quote:

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:00 am

Kami did train Goku, maybe that's his occupation, training protectors of Earth. He also trained the other warriors. He also commanded Popo to fetch the Dragonballs during the Frieza Saga. Kami knowing he spend the rest of the time watching Pr0n.

Another question is :

When does Kami wash his clothes? I mean does he wear the same thing all the time or is he like Donald Duck and has hundred pair of the same outfit and wears them alternatively?

Domon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Domon » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:59 am

When does Kami wash his clothes? I mean does he wear the same thing all the time or is he like Donald Duck and has hundred pair of the same outfit and wears them alternatively?
Two possiblities. Take your pick.

1) He's God. He can just "will" his clothes to be cleaned whenever he wants.

2) Mr. Popo cleans them every so often (we have seen Popo watering the plants, so I'm sort of leaning in this direction).

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:14 am

Here's a question, does Kami own a mirror, or is he just frikkin retarded? When Nappa mentioned Piccolo was from Namek he was totaly shocked. Both Kami and Piccolo mustve thought at some point, "Hey, why dont I look like everyone else?"

tarsonis
Regular

Post by tarsonis » Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:45 am

They always knew they were different, they just didn't realize they were from another planet.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:55 pm

tarsonis wrote:They always knew they were different, they just didn't realize they were from another planet.
Kami did wonder about the antennae, though.

Mike
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mike » Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:18 pm

Sun_Wukong wrote:Here's a question, does Kami own a mirror, or is he just frikkin retarded? When Nappa mentioned Piccolo was from Namek he was totaly shocked. Both Kami and Piccolo mustve thought at some point, "Hey, why dont I look like everyone else?"
I think you fail to realize that Kami lives on a planet with giraffe men, frankensteins, and one-eye demon monsters, not to mention Mr. Popo. Sure he might not look like a human and he may not have ever seen any one who looks like him but there are plenty of other strange creatures living on Earth. Just look at the characters in the stands of the World Martial Arts Tournament. I don't what the hell some of those things are. :P

Slickmasterfunk
Regular

Post by Slickmasterfunk » Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:06 pm

Conan the SSJ wrote:...it was the Kamis for never warning the danger the balls could be.
Ahh..but he did. When Goku first goes to the Lookout for training after he defeated King Piccolo, Kami explains that he didn't want to resurrect the dragon (after Piccolo killed it) because the balls had been abused. He changed his mind once he learned that Goku and friends were going to bring back the people killed by Piccolo. He also agreed to do it if Goku promised to stay and train for three years to fight Piccolo again.

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:34 pm

The defeat of Piccolo gave him such a relief that he didn't think another threat could abuse the dragon balls once more.

On the subject of Piccolo, I do recall people thinking his green pigmentation was caused by him being sick at the Tenkaichi Budoukai. Piccolo fits in with humans much better than those other creatures do.
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

Son Goku
Regular

Post by Son Goku » Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:04 pm

This reminds me... whatever happened to the strange Earth creatures after the Saiya-jin saga (besides The King, Puar, Oolong, and the ones that we saw giving energy to the Genkai-Dama)? I mean, we see a dogman in the town Vegeta and Nappa land in and, as soon as he dies, every other strange creature seems to disappear!

(I know... they must've gone the way of Lunch. :? )
I also go by "veemonjosh".

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:16 pm

Ya know, I was actually gonna mention that in my above post. I guess that in the Cell story arc, things were getting a little more serious and mature, so the whackiness of animal-people and monsters just faded away. I mean, imagine, a battle-torn city ravaged by the androids, and all of a sudden you see a furry creature. It just doesn't fit.

But with the Buu saga, things were returning back to the original light-heartedness of early Dragon Ball. Yet, the critters of old never returned...

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:10 pm

our two Earth Kamis never really seemed to do much,
At the risk of offending someone...

Just like the real God!

(runs)

Anyway, the Kami's importance seems to lose its impact as the series progresses. What complicates matters further, is that any time a previous Kami is shown, it is only an obscure shadow, so you cannot tell what they actually looked like, and they never reference the powers of previous Kami (except that random shocking Kami thing in Garlic Jr. saga... what was that all about?).
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!