Do the people in Dragonball have memory problems?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

tealsmith
Beyond Newbie

Do the people in Dragonball have memory problems?

Post by tealsmith » Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:45 pm

Something that's always bothered me, is how the people are Earth, the people Goku and Co. are constantly fighting to save, the people who time and time again the Z Senshi put their lives on the line for...

Are complete nimrods.

I mean, what's up? When Demon King Piccolo is released from the jar and terrorizes Earth in DB, seemingly no one but Roshi remembers that just about 300 years earlier, Piccolo and his minions controlled the world.

Then come the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai, no one seems to notice the connection between Ma Junior and Piccolo Daimao until Junor basically declares it and starts blowing stuff up.

In the Saiya-Jin Saga while the Z Senshi fight Nappa and the TV crews film, not one of the reporters seems to recognize any of the fighters despite the fact that they were all in previous Tenkaichi Budokais.

Well, you'd figure by the time of the Cell games, the people of Earth would have started to remember who the Z Senshi were, and what they looked like. But nope. Sure, the Saiya-Jins all had gold hair. But at least people watching the games on the TV would have recognized Tenshinhan. Or Yamcha. Or Krillin. Not even Piccolo.

Then comes the Buu Saga, when at the Budokai Tenkaichi, once again no one recognizes who any of them are. Even right after that 'Cell Games' video was shown. Hell, when the fights started and our heros start flying around, launching energy blasts and the like, people are all like "OMG THEY CAN FLY!? LIKE, I'VE NEVER SEEN THAT BEFORE!!!"

So what's the deal? Did Toriyama purposefully write the people of Earth to be complete morons, or is it just something that happened without him noticing it?
"My heart, it ceases. My breath, undrawn. My eyes forever focussed - on the sanguine metal dawn." - Caduca, Thief II: The Metal Age

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:02 pm

Well, at the begnning of the Cell Games, in the manga, a narration box said that everyone had forgotten Son Goku and the others.

Slickmasterfunk
Regular

Re: Do the people in Dragonball have memory problems?

Post by Slickmasterfunk » Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:59 pm

tealsmith wrote:Then comes the Buu Saga, when at the Budokai Tenkaichi, once again no one recognizes who any of them are. Even right after that 'Cell Games' video was shown. Hell, when the fights started and our heros start flying around, launching energy blasts and the like, people are all like "OMG THEY CAN FLY!? LIKE, I'VE NEVER SEEN THAT BEFORE!!!"
That's always bothered me too. In the 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai, Tenshinhan flies while fighting Goku and no one looks at it other than it just being a martial arts move and nobody questions it. Then in the Goten vs. Trunks fight everyone acts like they're all freaks.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:45 pm

1) 300 years is more than enough time for people to forget about Piccolo. He was just a demon who went around torching people and stuff. It was never said anywhere that he completely conquered Earth and explained who he was to everybody. For all we know, Mutaito succeeded in sealing him up during the first week of Piccolo's reign of terror, just like Goku killed him shortly after Piccolo killed Krillin.

2) Piccolo doesn't look that much like his dad. It would be like saying every human looks alike. Note that once Bulma (or was it Lunch?) outed him, everybody else started saying what was already on their minds.

3) The Z gang being spotted fighting Nappa+Vegeta was filler.

4) Nobody's seen Goku+co since the 23rd budoukai. That's why only the King of Earth made the connection to Goku when he saw him on tv, but doubted himself because Goku was in SSJ. He DID however completely recognize Piccolo as Piccolo Daimao somehow.

5) Everything about the Buu saga was stupid. They were all recognized from previous budoukais, but not a one from the Cell Games. :lol:
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

tealsmith
Beyond Newbie

Post by tealsmith » Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:05 pm

Dayspring wrote:1) 300 years is more than enough time for people to forget about Piccolo. He was just a demon who went around torching people and stuff. It was never said anywhere that he completely conquered Earth and explained who he was to everybody. For all we know, Mutaito succeeded in sealing him up during the first week of Piccolo's reign of terror, just like Goku killed him shortly after Piccolo killed Krillin.
I thought Piccolo had control of most of the planet back then. I specifically remember Roshi talking about Mutatio leaving him and Crain to go develop his technique to defeat Piccolo (the Mafuba), and as far as I recall, Roshi says he didn't return for months.

Also, didn't Piccolo have a bunch of demons under his command at that point?
"My heart, it ceases. My breath, undrawn. My eyes forever focussed - on the sanguine metal dawn." - Caduca, Thief II: The Metal Age

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:01 pm

Here is another thing that get's on my god-damn nerves in the early Freeza saga, and Freeza-bot saga. When Piccolo first arrived at the battlefield on Namek, Vegeta say's your the guy I butchered up on Earth. {In the original Version} Vegeta never fought none of them! Napa was the only one doing damage.

In the Mecha Freeza episodes, Yamcha was pissed at Vegeta when he came back to Earth, and he stated that Vegeta killed him! Tenshinhan also stated that Vegeta killed him when he showed up at the mountain's with Chaitzu!

Kaio-Sama kept talkin about wishing everyone back that Vegeta killed, when he was coming up with a plan to revive Yamcha, Tenshinhan, and Chaitzu. Did these guy's hit their head, or did they just forget that Napa, and a Saibaman {In Yamcha's case} destroyed the Earth's Special Forces?
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:54 pm

Super Saiyan Turlast x4 wrote:Here is another thing that get's on my god-damn nerves in the early Freeza saga, and Freeza-bot saga. When Piccolo first arrived at the battlefield on Namek, Vegeta say's your the guy I butchered up on Earth. {In the original Version} Vegeta never fought none of them! Napa was the only one doing damage.
I think he said "we".
In the Mecha Freeza episodes, Yamcha was pissed at Vegeta when he came back to Earth, and he stated that Vegeta killed him! Tenshinhan also stated that Vegeta killed him when he showed up at the mountain's with Chaitzu!
Tenshinhan simply states that he died at Vegeta's hand.
Kaio-Sama kept talkin about wishing everyone back that Vegeta killed, when he was coming up with a plan to revive Yamcha, Tenshinhan, and Chaitzu. Did these guy's hit their head, or did they just forget that Napa, and a Saibaman {In Yamcha's case} destroyed the Earth's Special Forces?
I believe most of the times during the Freeza saga they referred to them as "the Saiyajins" when addressing the issue. But yes, they did tend to leave Nappa's name out of it and refer to Vegeta.

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:27 pm

I guess you can say it's memory problems. But realistically, Toriyama just forgot/didn't take care of the details. There are all sorts of instances where things in Dragon Ball contradict each other, but none that are actually pertinent to the plot.

And for the people of Earth not recognizing their heroes...it's pretty obvious that they're just stupid. 8)
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:29 am

When refering to Yamucha as being killed by Vegeta, I think they mean that it was on his orders that the Saibamen fight him and that can go for the others as well. Nappa was under Vegeta's command too after all.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Victator Supreme
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Victator Supreme » Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:01 am

On Demon King Piccolo

How many of us would recognise Gengis Khan if he came back to life?

On Vegeta

He is the one who gave the orders to Nappa and the Saibamen. So he was the one who killed Tenshinhan, Piccolo and Yamcha.

On the Cell Games

The cameras were focused on Mr.Satan and Cell for most of the fight.

People go to too much trouble to find plot holes, when their are not any.
Last edited by Victator Supreme on Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gamingdevil
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gamingdevil » Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:40 am

Victator Supreme wrote: The camera were focused on Mr.Satan and Cell for most of the fight.
But Gohan and Goku did show up when fighting Cell and the others while fighting the Cell Jr's. And all of them were shown when they were mocking them for telling Satan not to do it.
And even without the Cell Games, why didn't anyone recognize them from previous Budokai's?
Who said life isn't a game?

Victator Supreme
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Victator Supreme » Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:50 am

They might recognise Tenshinhan, since he was a former Budokai champion. But I doubt they are going recognise Kuririn or Yamcha, two guys who never made it to the finals. I mean who remembers the loser from the 1985 AFC championship.

They would not have recognised Goku since he looks completely different from when he competed in the budokai.

Also the others in the eyes of the public were considered bit players next to Mr.Satan. So by the time of the Buu sagai, they were all but forgotten.
Last edited by Victator Supreme on Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:05 am

I'm pretty sure they remembered Goku at the Vejiita/Nappa fight. More specifically when Yajerobi was being interviewed. I think he mentions Goku and one of the reporters rememberd him from the Budokai. Not positive though.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:01 pm

Plus, Goku was a Super Saiyan at the Cell Games, which is a much bigger physical difference than we think of usually.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:36 pm

Sun_Wukong wrote:I'm pretty sure they remembered Goku at the Vejiita/Nappa fight. More specifically when Yajerobi was being interviewed. I think he mentions Goku and one of the reporters rememberd him from the Budokai. Not positive though.
He did, but that was just filler.

Tenka-Ichi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tenka-Ichi » Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:33 pm

The King guy at King's Castle recognized Goku during the Cell games as being the guy who defeated Piccolo Daimaou, well, he wasn't quite certain because Goku was obviously different being a super saiyan and all, but he had a feeling and he was right. And the announcer guy from the tournament recognized them all as he said (from the dub) "finally we have some real fighters".

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:23 pm

Yeah, the announcer always recognizes at least Goku.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:26 am

The announcer also recognized Piccolo. When Piccolo was heading for his match against Kaioshin, he asked him to try not to destroy the ring this time round.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:13 am

At the Buu-saga Tenkaichi Budokai the audience recognised the Z-fighters in the Mr Satan tribute video.

Akira
Regular

Post by Akira » Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:40 pm

I used to get upset and wonder why no one ever remembered Son Goku as the Champion of the 23rd World Tournament in the later story arcs. The more I thought about it, I realized something. Piccolo announced he was going to blow up Papaya Island and Son with it. Everyone fled at that point. The only people present for Goku's subsequent wounding and deathblow to Junior was the Announcer and the Z warriors and friends. sure, Son Goku went down in the history books as the Champion of that tournament, but no one remembers it because they all fled in terror.

Videl confirms this as she mentions looking up the history of the World Martial Arts Tournament and realizes that the champion before her father was a man named Son Goku. She then made the connection to Son Gohan and used it as emphasis behind her ploy to fight Gohan at the 25th World Tournament.

The people don't remember because they weren't there, also Son Goku did not attend the 24th Tournament so any memory of him faded until he reappeared at later tournaments. Tenshinhan, on the other hand probably ought to be remembered more because the crowd there went nuts when he won. They loved the 22nd World Tournament finale.