Swear words in Funi's DBZ.

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 814
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2004 11:05 pm
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Post by *PINHEAD* » Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:49 am

There weren't a ton of swear words in the Japanese version. If my memory serves me right, there aren't any swear words in the Japanese language, it's just the context and manner one says certain words.

I still see Dragon Ball as a kids' show, so having plenty of swear words included doesn't seem fitting. Though having it watered-down all American-TV-standards-like isn't fitting either. :?
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

User avatar
Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5477
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:01 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Post by Jerseymilk » Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:05 am

Yes Pinhead has a point about swear words in Japanese. It's the opposite of here. To them it's the context in which you say the word, the tone and so on that determines whether it's offensive, not so much the word itself.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

User avatar
Tsukento
I Live Here
Posts: 2600
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:34 pm
Location: Florida
Contact:

Post by Tsukento » Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:29 pm

Dragon wrote:Wow, look what I found, maybe they'll be in sync after all...


http://www.tv.com/dragon-ball-z-uncut/s ... l&season=0
TV.com's not exactly that much of a reliable source considering it's mainly fans who submit this info. Back when it was known as TVTome.com, it was highly infamous for having TONS of false information. I think it'd be better to wait it out rather than assume there'll be updated episodes of Season 3.

User avatar
Magica
Regular
Posts: 615
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:29 pm
Location: WA

Post by Magica » Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:49 pm

Didn't an old uncut Ginyu saga tape from 2001 or so have Vegeta say "fucking" in it? I can't really remember.

User avatar
Tsukento
I Live Here
Posts: 2600
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:34 pm
Location: Florida
Contact:

Post by Tsukento » Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:53 pm

Magica wrote:Didn't an old uncut Ginyu saga tape from 2001 or so have Vegeta say "fucking" in it? I can't really remember.
Uncut Dialogue: I'm a friggin' genius.
Censored Dialogue: I'm an absolute genius.

Close enough. Although the first ever swear on FUNi's dub was Dende saying "Hey, don't piss off the God of Love." Which was completely out there, seeing as Porunga was God of nothing and had nothing to do with love. Not to mention it somehow slipped into the censored version and even on Cartoon Network's broadcast.

User avatar
Magica
Regular
Posts: 615
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:29 pm
Location: WA

Post by Magica » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:07 pm

Tsukento wrote:
Close enough. Although the first ever swear on FUNi's dub was Dende saying "Hey, don't piss off the God of Love." Which was completely out there, seeing as Porunga was God of nothing and had nothing to do with love. Not to mention it somehow slipped into the censored version and even on Cartoon Network's broadcast.
I remember that. That was hilarious.

MyVisionity
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 942
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:51 pm
Location: US
Contact:

Post by MyVisionity » Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:12 pm

Tsukento wrote:
Magica wrote:Didn't an old uncut Ginyu saga tape from 2001 or so have Vegeta say "fucking" in it? I can't really remember.
Uncut Dialogue: I'm a friggin' genius.
Censored Dialogue: I'm an absolute genius.

Close enough. Although the first ever swear on FUNi's dub was Dende saying "Hey, don't piss off the God of Love." Which was completely out there, seeing as Porunga was God of nothing and had nothing to do with love. Not to mention it somehow slipped into the censored version and even on Cartoon Network's broadcast.
I think Porunga was known as the God of Dreams, or something or other.

User avatar
Tsukento
I Live Here
Posts: 2600
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:34 pm
Location: Florida
Contact:

Post by Tsukento » Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:21 am

Now that I've looked back on it, yeah, he is "sort of" a God. His name, Porunga, means "God of Dreams" in their (the Namekians) language. Though I can see why they chose the name since he grants three wishes (dreams) to come true. Though I very much doubt he's an ACTUAL God. Still way out there compared to FUNi's version.

MyVisionity
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 942
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:51 pm
Location: US
Contact:

Post by MyVisionity » Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:44 pm

Tsukento wrote:Now that I've looked back on it, yeah, he is "sort of" a God. His name, Porunga, means "God of Dreams" in their (the Namekians) language. Though I can see why they chose the name since he grants three wishes (dreams) to come true. Though I very much doubt he's an ACTUAL God. Still way out there compared to FUNi's version.
Shenron/Shenlong means something like 'Dragon God' in English. Porunga was called "Super Shenron". So he at least has one title of a god.

User avatar
Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here
Posts: 2876
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:55 pm
Location: Wakusei Bejeeter

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:54 pm

The only time I remember him being called Shenlong is when Kuririn (?) says "That's the real Shenlong?" and Dende corrects him, saying that he's Porunga.

User avatar
Tsukento
I Live Here
Posts: 2600
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:34 pm
Location: Florida
Contact:

Post by Tsukento » Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:56 pm

If I remember correctly, "Super Shenlong" was just a name tacked onto Porunga due to his extreme size and ability to give three wishes before we even learn that his name is Porunga. More like a nickname, if anything.

User avatar
Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here
Posts: 4563
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:23 am
Location: Manhattan, New York
Contact:

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:33 pm

I really love it when they yell "damnit" it the English dub. It's not because it's more adult to say, but it's more of a realistic reaction to somthing...

For example if some android where to, I don't know... impale your friend from childhood with his bare hand, and you saw him slowly dying... I don't think anyone would say "Darnit" they would yell out "Damnit!" or somthing even worse, but not "Darnit"

Also, the only reason people are now saying Dragonball is a kid's show and not to make it what its not is because Mike said it. I'am not arguing with that fact, because yes in Japan it is aimed at kids. Here in America though that show (with no cuts) would not be shown at 3:00pm as part of the WB aftertoon show or FoxBox or whatever. Here it isnt a kids show but it's not really an adult cartoon, so what is it? I don't know, It's Dragonaball dammit!

:shock: Ok... my rant is over ... I haven't posted in about 4 months so I was kinda backed up... whew ok ...

Magnaboss
Banned
Posts: 135
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2005 1:04 am

Post by Magnaboss » Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:48 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:I'am not arguing with that fact, because yes in Japan it is aimed at kids. Here in America though that show (with no cuts) would not be shown at 3:00pm as part of the WB aftertoon show or FoxBox or whatever. Here it isnt a kids show but it's not really an adult cartoon, so what is it? I don't know, It's Dragonaball dammit!
It's why kthey make the cuts, because as you can guess/know, there's different standards as to what flies in different cultures, and actual show content aside, it's still a big adventure story about people screaming at each other and shooting energy balls and learning about friendship and stuff. Hardly mature programming.

User avatar
Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here
Posts: 4563
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:23 am
Location: Manhattan, New York
Contact:

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:56 am

It's why kthey make the cuts, because as you can guess/know, there's different standards as to what flies in different cultures
Ok so we agree, they can not show it in the afternoon (without any cuts) wich makes it not sutable for children (in America), and yet its to childish for it to be a adult cartoon. such is Dragonball Z :cry: :? ...this topic is old lets let it die.

User avatar
Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5477
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:01 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Post by Jerseymilk » Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:32 am

Ummmmm, no people don't say it's a kid's show just because Mike said it. It's kid's show because it simply is. It was serialized in Shonen Jump, an anthology aimed at boys. Further proof is that the merchandise put out in Japan was stuff also aimed at kids.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

User avatar
Tsukento
I Live Here
Posts: 2600
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:34 pm
Location: Florida
Contact:

Post by Tsukento » Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:59 am

I believe everytime they came out with a Super Power Desk it was evident enough that the show was aimed for kids and tweens. :P

User avatar
Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here
Posts: 4563
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:23 am
Location: Manhattan, New York
Contact:

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:17 pm

Yes, I agree with all of you. I didn't say is wasn't a kids show. Just that in America with it's standards and practices it cannot be seen uncut in a kids block of shows. Still with it being uncut it still is imature, I know, I know this... maybe I just went on a crazy rant just for the sake of crazy ranting... :?

User avatar
Panda
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 243
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:58 pm
Location: Houston, Texas
Contact:

Post by Panda » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:22 pm

Jerseymilk wrote:I personally think that the Saiyajin Saga has just as many dark moments as the Cell Saga does. Goku discovers he has a brother who turns out to be evil and kidnaps his son, he then ends up sacrificing his life to defeat him, leaving Chi-Chi widowed and Gohan fatherless. Vegeta and Nappa come and we see practically every character killed one after another. I'd say that's just as "dark" and "serious" as what took place with Cell. As a matter of fact, none of the main characters are even killed during that saga, except for Trunks being mortally wounded towards the end, but is revived shortly after.
Sorry to bring this off-topic but I think a lot of people would say that the Cell and Android Saga's are more "mature" and "serious" has a lot to do with the art work and the general maturity of the characters themselves.

For one, Toriyama's work has vastly improved by this point and it looks a lot more serious in design and even facial expression.
Another point would be Gohan, who at this point has proved the be a major character and is almost more developed them Goku is in terms of "serious" relationships with the other senshi.

Now if I remember right, the Cell and Android Saga's did have decent dubs so hopefully that isn't an issue with this uncut broadcast but perhaps with more drawn out relationships through better dialouge and music in the Sayia-jin Saga up to the beginning of the Androis Saga it will make the series as a whole more "serious" and "mature".

Post Reply