Swear words in Funi's DBZ.

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Majin Dillon

Swear words in Funi's DBZ.

Post by Majin Dillon » Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:29 pm

I have been DBZ uncut on Cartoon Network,and I've noticed Funi has started to put swear words from the end of the Saiyan Saga and in many episodes in the Namek Saga.Like when Goku blast Great Ape Vegeta in the eye Vegeta says "Damn you!"Or the other night when Krillin called Vegeta a bastard.I think should re-dub the entire series with curse words,because on the original Japanese version there was tons of cursing.I think this only makes there uncut version more uncut like it should be.Now all they need to do is put the original music in. :D

'lo Legends
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Swear words in Funi's DBZ.

Post by 'lo Legends » Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:53 pm

Majin Dillon wrote:on the original Japanese version there was tons of cursing.
Not really. It's actually around the same amount as you hear in the uncut Funi versin.
Random Fact: "If Freeza used a watering can on Piccolo, he would turn into a tree. FACT."

El_Diablo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by El_Diablo » Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:04 pm

Swearing in the Japanese langauge is a bit iffy anyway
Where's the beef?

Dominator
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dominator » Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:18 pm

Most of the fansubbers were responsible for a lot of the swearing. A bit of advice, you may want to improve your grammar.
[url=http://www.freewebs.com/vendavaleste/]Carrion - The Dominator Fansite[/url]

tarsonis
Regular

Post by tarsonis » Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:22 pm

Anime Labs was infamous for a lot of the fake and unnecessary swearing in fansubbed DBZ. There's a guide to some of it here.

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:43 pm

I would hardly count "damn" and "bastard" as swears. But under those definitions, I guess you could say the Japanese version had swearing.

Fun tip: Sentences are separated by spaces, too! Just like words!

gallagtor
Beyond Newbie

Post by gallagtor » Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:16 pm

It's a very widely spread misconception that the Japanese version of Dragon Ball is full of cursing. Depending on the translator, the word "kuso" could be "shit", "damn", "crap" or "fuck". Kuso literally means feces, but it can be used the same way we would say, "Damn! I dropped my sandwich!". So, it depends on the preference of the translator. Generally using harsh curses in fansubs like "fuck" is frowned upon, as it stirs up these rumors that the Japanese version is filthy compared to what we've been seeing.
"Look at these guns baybah! Peow, peow!" -Broli

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:56 pm

I will say that it's at least nice that they started using some swear words this time around, rather than being so paranoid and going with psuedo swears like they did all through out season 3.

Yeah, Japanese Dragon Ball Z doesn't have heavy swears. But they're still there. And it's about damn time FUNi stopped babying the series and at least made it a little mature and didn't hold back on the "Uncut" label they put on it like they did with the rest of the series.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:31 pm

DBZ isnt "mature". Its a shounen anime, therefore its aimed at kids. Stop trying to make it something its not.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:44 pm

Note how I mentioned it's not "mature" like Anime Labs tried to imply it was. But do realize that a lot of the dialogue FUNimation's used seemed to try to change the mood of DBZ from being somewhat mostly serious to being light-hearted (what with the adding of dialogue to make a scene "funny" and what not).

I don't mean in terms of throwing swears every now and then-mature. But regular mature in the matter of seriousness. It sounds ridiculous as hell for grown adults saying psuedo-swears in place of minor swears (such as "Shoot" or "Darn" in place of "Damn").

And if I recall correctly, Chris Sabat's even confirmed in a Beckett magazine interview that Dragon Ball Z was too "dark and serious" and that he had some of the dialogue rewritten and added so that it would be more "funny" or something to that measure.

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:30 pm

VegettoEX wrote:So... FUNimation thinks DB is all about having trendy music, fighting, and lame special effects?

Hrm... I always thought DB was all about wacky comedy, friendship, and overcoming impossible obstacles.
The only maturity I see (or want to see...) is Funimation trying a little for once to do a decent dub that can be appreciated by the real fans of the series. If anybody gave DBZ that bad "plotless, billion-episode screaming fightfest" reputation (among those who don't look closely enough, anyway) it was Funimation. They just marketed it like that, didn't they?

DBZ isn't really dark and serious. Funimation may have ruined all the special moments, but not by "replacing darkness with jokes". In fact, they may have tried to make it look darker... or maybe I'm confusing darkness with Xtremeitude. Think back about that. I'm not necessarily doubting your magazine, but maybe Sabat's a dirty liar. Who am I to know?

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:14 pm

Well let's take a look at the Saiyan saga compared to say, the Cell saga.

We've got plenty of comedic values in Dragon Ball Z during the training for the arrival of the Saiyans, namely on Goku and Gohan's behalf. Sometimes even the regular humans.

But then compare that to a darker atmosphere that is the Cell saga, where Trunks goes to the past to warn everyone of a terrible future that will come if they don't prepare for it. We've got Trunks' entire timeline being a mess thanks to #17 and #18 killing pretty much all of the Z-Senshi and offing Earth's population of humans. Then we've got the twists where Goku begins to suffer the heart problems and the Artificial Humans arriving being completely different and Cell even entering the picture.

If anything, I think it even all started the moment Freeza was introduced. During the Saiyan arc, it was still somewhat bordering onto Dragon Ball. Especially during the early episodes with the way Toei Animation designed some of the characters.

I just think it's a good thing that FUNi's at least raising their age rating to make the dub more tolerable for the older aged fans. I admit that I find myself watching the redubs every chance I get when I couldn't even stand the dubs for seasons 3 and up. Heck, a lot of the stuff FUNi's done for the redub is handled so much better than how the rest of the series was handled. (No more music blaring through out every scene, especially inappropriate music like the "circus" one they made during the Garlic Jr. arc.)

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:32 pm

I don't mean in terms of throwing swears every now and then-mature. But regular mature in the matter of seriousness. It sounds ridiculous as hell for grown adults saying psuedo-swears in place of minor swears (such as "Shoot" or "Darn" in place of "Damn").
I use them all the time in actual speech. I'm not the swearing type unless I'm well beyond upset. And even then you'll likely only get a damn or shit out of me.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:11 am

I personally think that the Saiyajin Saga has just as many dark moments as the Cell Saga does. Goku discovers he has a brother who turns out to be evil and kidnaps his son, he then ends up sacrificing his life to defeat him, leaving Chi-Chi widowed and Gohan fatherless. Vegeta and Nappa come and we see practically every character killed one after another. I'd say that's just as "dark" and "serious" as what took place with Cell. As a matter of fact, none of the main characters are even killed during that saga, except for Trunks being mortally wounded towards the end, but is revived shortly after.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

El_Diablo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by El_Diablo » Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:30 am

Tsukento wrote: And if I recall correctly, Chris Sabat's even confirmed in a Beckett magazine interview that Dragon Ball Z was too "dark and serious" and that he had some of the dialogue rewritten and added so that it would be more "funny" or something to that measure.
Chris Sabat really isn't the best person to ask about Dragon Ball, methinks.
Where's the beef?

Dragon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Dragon » Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:43 pm

Okay, here's something that's bothering me, how much are they redubbing? Just everything that Ocean Group did, or are they going farther?
Gerry Dragan (yes, that's my real name.)

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:55 pm

Dragon wrote:Okay, here's something that's bothering me, how much are they redubbing? Just everything that Ocean Group did, or are they going farther?
It's generally accepted that they'll go at least until the end of the episode that was cut off partway through at the end of Saban season 2. I'm personally hoping that they go all the way to Episode 71, so that all the dub episodes synch with the Japanese version, but I don't know if FUNimation plans on redubbing the "Captain Ginyu" arc or not (it was the worst of Season 3 though, so it definitely could use it).
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:08 pm

Xyex wrote:
I use them all the time in actual speech. I'm not the swearing type unless I'm well beyond upset. And even then you'll likely only get a damn or shit out of me.
Personally, I curse enough to offend sailors. My friend is trying to get me a job at this bingo hall, but they have a swear jar there... I'd lose more money than I'd earn.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:57 pm

They're only dubbing up to episode 67. Then Dragon Ball Z is being replaced by Yu-Gi-Oh! All that's left to be redubbed after that are the second and third movies.

Dragon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Dragon » Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:32 pm

Wow, look what I found, maybe they'll be in sync after all...

http://www.tv.com/dragon-ball-z-uncut/s ... l&season=0
Gerry Dragan (yes, that's my real name.)