Connections to Toriyama-sensei?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kuan-Yaa

Connections to Toriyama-sensei?

Post by Kuan-Yaa » Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:35 am

Question #1:
I know that Toriyama-sensei is a big fan of Jackie Chan's, but does Jackie Chan (or perhaps Sammo Hung) have any connections to Toriyama-sensei? If you've seen the movie "My Lucky Stars," you'll know what I mean. 'Muscles' (Jackie Chan) dresses up as Arale from "Dr. Slump" at a Tokyo amusement park while trying to sneak into the enemy territory.

Question #2:
Did Toriyama-sensei himself choose Hironobu Kageyama-san as the main vocals performer? I know Toriyama-sensei personally selected Nozawa Mosako-san for the voice of Goku, but did Toriyama-sensei have any jurisdiction over the type of music played for the TV production as well?

Finally,
Question #3:
What exactly was Kuko-san doing here in the states? Was she working abroad as a singer, or was she simply here to visit?[/b]
Your mind is your own. Therefore, no matter how much control someone else seems to exert upon you, you retain knowledge and thoughts unknown to anyone but yourself.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:40 am

That Toriyama-dude was/is a big fan of Jacky Chan, I seem to recall from an interview. That's why named Master Roshi's World Tournament's alias after him.

Ash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ash » Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:57 am

If you've seen the movie "My Lucky Stars," you'll know what I mean. 'Muscles' (Jackie Chan) dresses up as Arale from "Dr. Slump" at a Tokyo amusement park while trying to sneak into the enemy territory.
Dr. Slump [In HK "IQ博士"] is actually quite popular in HK, so it probably comes from that rather than Jackie Chan actually has ties with Toriyama.
[i]"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth"[/i] - The Lamp of God, Ellery Queen

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:11 am

Actually, Jackie Chan is equally a fan of Toriyama's work. Chan also has a large Japanese following so he's very familiar with Japanese manga. He even did a live action movie of City Hunter. As for Sammo Hung, I have no idea.

I don't think Toriyama chose Kageyama to be the main vocals singer. Besides which, he actually didn't come around until the DBZ. The DB anime had a variety of other singers such as Hiroki Takahashi and Ushio Hashimoto who sang the opening and closing themes.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Magnaboss
Banned

Post by Magnaboss » Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:10 am

[offtopic]I don't see much point in using -san in an English conversation when -san doesn't actually have any real place being here *DEEEEEEEE*[/offtopic]

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:27 pm

Loved the Street Fighter cosplay in City Hunter.

Jackie once said in an interview (that I'll have to look for) that he'd like to play Son Gokuu in a live action movie (but you know, this interview was like, early 90's, I think)

Using Japanese honorifics, especially with Japanese people, has more of a point of being used here than you asking about it.
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:42 pm

Shen Long Times Vol. 1 off the Complete Illustrations Daizenshuu had Jackie Chan on it. He signed his signature and also wrote "I Love Dragonball".

So that answers that!

Daimao
Mr. Subtitles

Post by Daimao » Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:10 pm

The old Toriyama.org site had some pictures at one time of Jackie and Toriyama sitting together at some function. I don't remember the occasion, though, and can't for the life of me find any of those pictures now.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:56 pm

The S wrote:Loved the Street Fighter cosplay in City Hunter.

Jackie once said in an interview (that I'll have to look for) that he'd like to play Son Gokuu in a live action movie (but you know, this interview was like, early 90's, I think)

Using Japanese honorifics, especially with Japanese people, has more of a point of being used here than you asking about it.
I can picture Jackie Chan playing Master Roshi more now. If he was few years younger, perhaps.

Leotaku
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Leotaku » Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:33 pm

Daimao wrote:The old Toriyama.org site had some pictures at one time of Jackie and Toriyama sitting together at some function. I don't remember the occasion, though, and can't for the life of me find any of those pictures now.
I don't know if this is the same picture, but I did a google image search for ""jackie chan" toriyama", and found a photo from kamisama.com.br/fotostoriyama4.htm

I think it is Jackie Chan with Akira Toriyama. I looked at the cahce for that page, and the alternate text for the image was something about Jackie Chan and Akira Toriyama (though, it wasn't english, so I don't know exactly what it said). But, at the moment, that site's bandwidth is exceeded, and I can't view the full image. I only saw the tiny google cache image.
I can picture Jackie Chan playing Master Roshi more now. If he was few years younger, perhaps.
That's just cruel. :\

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by kenisu3000 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:07 pm

Leotaku wrote:
I don't know if this is the same picture, but I did a google image search for ""jackie chan" toriyama", and found a photo from kamisama.com.br/fotostoriyama4.htm

I think it is Jackie Chan with Akira Toriyama.
Yep, that's Jackie Chan and Akira Toriyama together all right. The Japanese splashed across the image reads "Akira Toriyama VS Jackie Chan".
BGM forever! If only more people paid attention to it... well, I intend to change that.