Self-Inflicted Zenkais

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Self-Inflicted Zenkais

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:31 pm

On the way to Namek, Goku trains by hitting himself with Kamehamehas and taking advantage of the zenkais offered by recovering from his injuries. But later, during the Freeza fight, Vegeta has to get Krillin to injure him. Why couldn't he do it himself?
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Saiyan Prince Vegeta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Self-Inflicted Zenkais

Post by Saiyan Prince Vegeta » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:49 pm

Maybe they can't generate enough ki to nearly kill themselves, but Gokus exhaustion from training in intense gravity coupled with him inflicting damage on him self tipped the scales enough to give a Zenkai. It could also be that his level dropped that much that he may not have been able to handle 10g, so I guess you could say the gravity was crushing him aswell. Then there's a flaw with that, and that is Vegeta could have used a blast like Goku, re-directed it at himself, let go of it, and then drop his defenses and let it him. So I really don't know, maybe he was panicked and wasn't thinking. :P

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:56 pm

Saiyan Prince Vegeta wrote:Maybe they can't generate enough ki to nearly kill themselves, but Gokus exhaustion from training in intense gravity coupled with him inflicting damage on him self tipped the scales enough to give a Zenkai. It could also be that his level dropped that much that he may not have been able to handle 10g, so I guess you could say the gravity was crushing him aswell. Then there's a flaw with that, and that is Vegeta could have used a blast like Goku, re-directed it at himself, let go of it, and then drop his defenses and let it him. So I really don't know, maybe he was panicked and wasn't thinking. :P
Well, admittedly he's not a Saiyan, but Ginyu punched a hole in his own chest. I'm pretty sure that would count as a near death wound. But I agree with you, the only explanation I can think of is that he panicked.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:51 pm

I don't think Goku "took advantage of" zenkais. The narrator states that he's definitely getting them from his training, but as far as Goku knows the senzu beans are only healing his damage, hunger, and fatigue, and that he's getting stronger precisely because of his training. I also don't think that he meant to hurt himself to the point of near-death with the Kamehameha, but that it was just general training to toughen his body. Funny, I've never read those pages to mean that Goku was purposely hurting himself to zenkai-up, as it were. I just don't think it's implied.

As far as I remember the only time he acknowledged getting a zenkai was after healing in the recovery pod, and maaaybe when he said "guess all that fighting with Vegeta wasn't for nothing."
Last edited by Tyro on Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Saiyan Prince Vegeta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Saiyan Prince Vegeta » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:58 pm

He most definetly isn't doing it by purpose IMO. He's just testing his limits, but with Goku being a Saiyan pushing past his limits gives him a Zenkai.

the_abberration
Regular

Post by the_abberration » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:15 pm

Saiyan Prince Vegeta wrote:Maybe they can't generate enough ki to nearly kill themselves, but Gokus exhaustion from training in intense gravity coupled with him inflicting damage on him self tipped the scales enough to give a Zenkai. It could also be that his level dropped that much that he may not have been able to handle 10g, so I guess you could say the gravity was crushing him as well.
I agree with this logic. The gravity was probably already killing Goku. Add his exerting himself on top of it, and he was most likely near death before he took a senzu. Similar to a human having a fatal gunshot wound continuing to fight, and getting healed just before he dies perhaps??
Saiyan Prince Vegeta wrote:Then there's a flaw with that, and that is Vegeta could have used a blast like Goku, re-directed it at himself, let go of it, and then drop his defenses and let it him. So I really don't know, maybe he was panicked and wasn't thinking. :P
Not so much a flaw, if you consider each were operating on opposite ends of self preservation or "fight or flight instinct". Goku was willing to go to the extreme of attacking himself at full power (not thinking about or trying to kill himself mind you, but to get the full benefit of self training), whereas Vegeta would hold back and not use full power out of fear that he would kill himself. Also, Vegeta may not have time to set up a redirected ki blast in the middle of the fight (if he thought about something like that to begin with).
1 Corinthians 13: When I was a child, I spoke and thought and reasoned as a child. But when I grew up, I put away childish things. Except the anime. Never the anime.

"Look. I'm not allowed to hold you, but I'm sworn to protect you"-Sergeant Hatred

The Lineup: Danger Mouse

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:28 pm

A simple explanation would be that Vegeta didn't know whether it would work if he injured himself and didn't want to risk.
Another theory is that he couldn't injure himself so easily - if he lowered his power, his attacks would be weaker as well.

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:35 pm

I think as far as Vegeta's case vs. Ginyu's case, Vegeta needed a severe, immediately life-threatening attack to give him the potent enough Zenkai. With Ginyu, while the attack might eventually be fatal (even if not, it was debilitating for Goku), he was able to go around for a good while.