Base Saiyans and Freeza

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Base Saiyans and Freeza

Post by RandomGuy96 » Fri May 17, 2013 11:09 pm

If Toriyama didn't write the script, what makes you think he wrote that line?
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Fri May 17, 2013 11:13 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:If Toriyama didn't write the script, what makes you think he wrote that line?
Question goes both ways. I'm pretty sure he supervised the scripting process since before it was stated he was the one who wrote the story, It was said he had a supervisory role.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Fri May 17, 2013 11:14 pm

He didn't. He wrote this movie as a continuation of the manga.
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Fri May 17, 2013 11:19 pm

The global phenomenon Dragon Ball is being made into a movie using Toei Animation’s latest technology, consistently realized as a Toriyama work, with the original author Akira Toriyama himself deeply involve from the script stage for the first time. An episode from between the animation series “Z” and “GT”, or in other words from the blank decade between the end of the battle with Majin Buu in chapter 517 of the manga and chapter 518, will be depicted for the first time.

Such well-known and charming characters as Kuririn, Piccolo, and Vegeta will all make an appearance. A new story in the official history of Dragon Ball is born, neither a spin-off nor a side-story, one that can be enjoyed by both children and parents, manga fans and anime fans.
Early on promotion mentioning Toriyama being deeply involved with the script.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Fri May 17, 2013 11:31 pm

But did he WRITE it? Deeply involved can mean just about anything.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Fri May 17, 2013 11:37 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:But did he WRITE it? Deeply involved can mean just about anything.
Deeply involved means he most likely saw the line, and accepted it. He was part of the script writing process. We use the Daizenshuu even though he clearly didn't write them. Except this time he had a much bigger role in story and scripting. He more than likely had a say in what goes in the script. We can't know for sure what went on though. he more than likely read the script and was fine with the line. He re-read the manga when doing the movie.
Last edited by dbzfan7 on Fri May 17, 2013 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Fri May 17, 2013 11:38 pm

Who cares if he specifically wrote it? If BoG is part of the manga timeline, what is said goes.
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Fri May 17, 2013 11:40 pm

TheMightyOzaru wrote:Who cares if he specifically wrote it? If BoG is part of the manga timeline, what is said goes.
It goes against his belief most likely. I used to think Base Saiyans were above Freeza too. But now the movie changed my mind and helped me re-think power placements.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sat May 18, 2013 12:52 am

BoG is part of the manga timeline, what is said goes.
In your opinion.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Sat May 18, 2013 12:55 am

RandomGuy96 wrote:
In your opinion.
It's not my opinion:
I tried thinking up an original story, imagining it as though [the manga's] serialization had continued.
Toriyama wrote the story in continuation of his manga.
Youtube channel:
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat May 18, 2013 1:06 am

TheMightyOzaru wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
In your opinion.
It's not my opinion:
I tried thinking up an original story, imagining it as though [the manga's] serialization had continued.
Toriyama wrote the story in continuation of his manga.
Please, everyone knows fan reasoning beats Author statements right.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sat May 18, 2013 1:10 am

Except you're twisting it into being an author's statement when it truly isn't.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat May 18, 2013 1:11 am

Saiga wrote:Except you're twisting it into being an author's statement when it truly isn't.
Toei said Toriyama was deeply involved in scripting and Toriyama said he himself wrote the story. Seems right out there to me. We all use the Daizenshuu's when he didn't have much involvement in them, yet were going to ignore something he has deep involvement in because.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sat May 18, 2013 1:18 am

dbzfan7 wrote:
Saiga wrote:Except you're twisting it into being an author's statement when it truly isn't.
Toei said he Toriyama was deeply involved in scripting and Toriyama said he himself wrote the story. Seems right out there to me.
Except none of us know much about the script writing process. If you're going to claim that Beers' statement is a statement from Toriyama, the burden of proof is on you to prove it, and you can't do that.

And even if you believe the movie is the manga's continuation and all that jazz, that is not a cold hard fact. You can't force someone to accept the movie.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat May 18, 2013 1:29 am

Saiga wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:
Toei said he Toriyama was deeply involved in scripting and Toriyama said he himself wrote the story. Seems right out there to me.
Except none of us know much about the script writing process. If you're going to claim that Beers' statement is a statement from Toriyama, the burden of proof is on you to prove it, and you can't do that.

And even if you believe the movie is the manga's continuation and all that jazz, that is not a cold hard fact. You can't force someone to accept the movie.
Even though it's more than likely he was part of the script writing process and more than likely accepted that line, but he wrote the story as a continuation to the manga. You can't get more clear then the quote below. I can't force someone to accept the movie (even though its clearly canon as stated as being apart of the official history an not a side story)

Mjb1985
Advanced Regular

Post by Mjb1985 » Sat May 18, 2013 1:40 am

Some people will consider it " canon " and some won't. There's no point in trying to force one side to join the other. Both options are fine.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sat May 18, 2013 1:44 am

Saying your opinion is the right one (like calling the movie canon) is just the same as trying to force someone to accept it.

Mjb1985
Advanced Regular

Post by Mjb1985 » Sat May 18, 2013 1:54 am

Exactly. People need to chill out here. There are very few right or wrong issues. Trying to force people to view your opinion as right doesn't seem to get anyone anywhere. Just share your opinion and if the other person thinks it's logical they may swing to your side. Sometimes they won't even if they agree due to stubbornness or anything like they, so don't sweat the small stuff man.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sat May 18, 2013 2:00 am

It's not my opinion:
"What BOG says goes" is your opinion.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:

Mjb1985
Advanced Regular

Post by Mjb1985 » Sat May 18, 2013 2:13 am

And I just wanted to point out that just because the Daiz has Freeza at 120 and Goku at 150 doesn't mean you necessarily have to take that as a fact, let alone let that fight determine every single gap in the series.

I personally view the manga scouter numbers on a different tier than the guidebook numbers and when the guidebook logic matches up well with what the manga is going with, then sure, I don't have any issue following them. But when they start seeming like a stretch in comparison, I generally disregard them.

For me I would have to have Freeza at 140-145 million based on my interpretation. I also wouldn't be able to have Nappa at 4,000 either. There is just too many conflicting issues for me, but others find ways around it.

I have tried it that way but I find it easier to just slightly adjust the guidebook numbers than run into theories on why Freeza was more skilled than Goku or why Nappa is more durable than Cell. It seems easier to just make some minor adjustments imo, but any way you want to go about it is fine.

But regardless of the option you pick, I don't think Freeza vs Goku is a good fight to determine your whole point of view on how fights to percentage wise. If you are using the guidebook numbers you are better suited with an opinion like Kaboom in which there isn't a strict percentage gap means fight should look like this mentality.

If you are in that group who tries to do that, you should probably take a look at all the power battles given, fights shown that correlate with them and make your own assumptions.