Does anyone prefer the Boo saga over all others?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Zarathustra
Beyond Newbie

Does anyone prefer the Boo saga over all others?

Post by Zarathustra » Fri May 10, 2013 8:09 pm

Watching Dragonball and Z in their entirety once again, and I have just finished the Cell Saga. This particular viewing has completely solidified and substantiated my opinion that the aforementioned saga is the best one out of the lot - so much so that there is a decadent connotation I associate with the advent of the Boo saga..

Does anyone else feel the same way when watching? Or, is it the contrary? I was wondering whether anyone truly favors the Boo saga over all others. My friends and I have concurred that the Boo saga is definitely the weakest and sometimes a drag to watch; I am curious to see more opinions.

I guess when comparing the Boo saga to its predecessors it seems to fall short in various aspects, such as the villain, fights, plot and heroes. Again, all subjective.

Legendary Saiya-Jin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Does anyone prefer the Boo saga over all others?

Post by Legendary Saiya-Jin » Fri May 10, 2013 8:20 pm

I think I can understand and feel this way a lot of times. It has what DB was missing for the Androids Arc and it feels more naturally comedic despite the seriousness.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Fri May 10, 2013 8:29 pm

I enjoy the Boo Saga and hope Kai fixes it up.

There are people who prefer the Boo Saga here, but I don't. I like the fights, comedy, interactions, some of the villains, etc. But its too much of a clusterfuck. I also hate how Gohan who was built up since the beginning of Z was tossed aside making the whole "take over his fathers legacy" become a waste of time.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Fri May 10, 2013 8:50 pm

The Boo arc is definitely my favourite arc, although the Saiyan arc is a close second. Though it isn't without its flaws, it has some of the best moments in the series and Majin Boo is one of my favourite villains.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Fri May 10, 2013 8:53 pm

The only thing I like about the Buu Saga is Buu himself.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Zarathustra
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zarathustra » Fri May 10, 2013 9:22 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:I enjoy the Boo Saga and hope Kai fixes it up.

There are people who prefer the Boo Saga here, but I don't. I like the fights, comedy, interactions, some of the villains, etc. But its too much of a clusterfuck. I also hate how Gohan who was built up since the beginning of Z was tossed aside making the whole "take over his fathers legacy" become a waste of time.
Quite true. What adds insult to injury is that this build-up continued until about half-way through the Boo saga itself. Throughout the arc, Gohan is reminded of his greatness and capabilities but in the end, gets shafted. I think that may be my biggest problem with the saga, and I cannot find it as enjoyable as the ones before it.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Fri May 10, 2013 9:34 pm

Zarathustra wrote:

Quite true. What adds insult to injury is that this build-up continued until about half-way through the Boo saga itself. Throughout the arc, Gohan is reminded of his greatness and capabilities but in the end, gets shafted. I think that may be my biggest problem with the saga, and I cannot find it as enjoyable as the ones before it.
The movies make it even worse for him.

I forgot a chunk of the Boo Saga built him up as well, and he was getting an end all power up to save the day, then he got shafted for the rest of the saga and series. He seemed to be placed among the humans (as useless) even though he is one of the most powerful fighters.

I also hate how he became too much of a pacifist. Gohan wasn't someone who hated training (he preferred studying), he just didn't like death fights. I would think after the Boo incident he would further train himself since if he did that 7 years ago, he could have stopped Boo's resurrection and possibly even beat him if he was born.

I think it would have been cool if he trained with Vegeta since his dad wasn't going to come back. I would also think he would train and protect earth in his place. Definitely not train rigorously, but put it in with studying or something. I found Saiyaman funny, but stupid that Gohan would slack off training, but crime fighting is fine. If he would fight crime, why couldn't he train as well to protect earth from big threats?
Last edited by dbzfan7 on Fri May 10, 2013 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zarathustra
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zarathustra » Fri May 10, 2013 9:44 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:
Zarathustra wrote:

The movies make it even worse for him.

I forgot a chunk of the Boo Saga built him up as well, and he was getting an end all power up to save the day, then he got shafted for the rest of the saga and series. He seemed to be placed among the humans (as useless) even he is one of the most powerful fighters.

I also hate how he became too much of a pacifist. Gohan wasn't someone who hated training (he preferred studying), he just didn't like death fights. I would think after the Boo incident he would further train himself since if he did that 7 years ago, he could have stopped Boo's resurrection and possibly even beat him if he was born.

I think it would have been cool if he trained with Vegeta since his dad wasn't going to come back. I would also think he would train and fight for his father's legacy. Definitely not train rigorously, but put it in with studying.
Completely agree there. It would have been a cathartic end to the saga that would have matched the tone and precedent set by the Cell Saga.

May sound strange but I always felt like the Boo saga was almost like a different anime than the rest of Z, it feels like such a dichotomy [though not on par with Dragonball and Z]. The different opening, eyecatch and time skip accentuate that sentiment for me.

Oh and I wish the Dabura and Gohan fight had a more definitive ending! What a waste!

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Fri May 10, 2013 9:50 pm

Zarathustra wrote:Completely agree there. It would have been a cathartic end to the saga that would have matched the tone and precedent set by the Cell Saga.

May sound strange but I always felt like the Boo saga was almost like a different anime than the rest of Z, it feels like such a dichotomy [though not on par with Dragonball and Z]. The different opening, eyecatch and time skip accentuate that sentiment for me.

Oh and I wish the Dabura and Gohan fight had a more definitive ending! What a waste!
I would think his fight with Dabra and Boo would open his eyes to training to help preserve the world he loves, since if he trained he could have easily beat Dabra and possibly Fat Boo if he trained hard enough. But he turns full pacifist and gets completely shafted. He was built up as Goku's superior since childhood and could go further beyond once his potential would slowly be unlocked. SSJ2 was the big turning point for Gohan, then with Gohan finally releasing all that hidden power (and a lot more) with the Elder Kaioshin he showed everything that he could manage which is what I wondered in the past with how far his rage boosts/ potential could go. Then in a few episodes or 1-3 chapters in the manga, he gets completely shafted forever.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Fri May 10, 2013 10:06 pm

The Buu arc is everything anti-fans accuse the series of being overall, except on purpose. It's without a doubt the best ending DB could have hoped for, taking into account everything that comes before(because it doesn't work without everything that comes before it). To imagine alternatives like Gohan or Vegeta defeating Buu, or giving it a more serious tone, couldn't sound more boring to me. Toriyama is poking fun at his own series in a way that only someone so detached from what he's created can.

But no, the Red Ribbon arc was better. Both demolish the rest of the "Z"-era stuff.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Zarathustra
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zarathustra » Fri May 10, 2013 10:09 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:
Zarathustra wrote:Completely agree there. It would have been a cathartic end to the saga that would have matched the tone and precedent set by the Cell Saga.

I would think his fight with Dabra and Boo would open his eyes to training to help preserve the world he loves, since if he trained he could have easily beat Dabra and possibly Fat Boo if he trained hard enough. But he turns full pacifist and gets completely shafted. He was built up as Goku's superior since childhood and could go further beyond once his potential would slowly be unlocked. SSJ2 was the big turning point for Gohan, then with Gohan finally releasing all that hidden power (and a lot more) with the Elder Kaioshin he showed everything that he could manage which is what I wondered in the past with how far his rage boosts/ potential could go. Then in a few episodes or 1-3 chapters in the manga, he gets completely shafted forever.
Aye, upsetting in a way. I think during his fight against Bootenks he should have experienced another pivotal actualization..in terms of overcoming the odds against him. Why not something like: Lemme fuck around for 30 minutes until the fusion wears off?

Even something as simple as that..The same way Goku always managed to find a way. It would have made sense.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Fri May 10, 2013 10:15 pm

Zarathustra wrote:Aye, upsetting in a way. I think during his fight against Bootenks he should have experienced another pivotal actualization..in terms of overcoming the odds against him. Why not something like: Lemme fuck around for 30 minutes until the fusion wears off?

Even something as simple as that..The same way Goku always managed to find a way. It would have made sense.
I kinda wanted the whole thing to have Gohan save Goku after Goku saved him from Bootenks. I was thinking of having Boo absorb Goku who fights Gohan. But I trashed the idea when I thought it was too dark for the series.

I kinda sound like a Gohan fanboy even though I like him and Goku equally. I just hate how everything has become about Goku.

Zarathustra
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zarathustra » Fri May 10, 2013 10:26 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:
Zarathustra wrote:Aye, upsetting in a way. I think during his fight against Bootenks he should have experienced another pivotal actualization..in terms of overcoming the odds against him. Why not something like: Lemme fuck around for 30 minutes until the fusion wears off?

I kinda wanted the whole thing to have Gohan save Goku after Goku saved him from Bootenks. I was thinking of having Boo absorb Goku who fights Gohan. But I trashed the idea when I thought it was too dark for the series.

I kinda sound like a Gohan fanboy even though I like him and Goku equally. I just hate how everything has become about Goku.
Ha, Gohan fighting a Goku-Boo would definitely be a darker turn -but I like it! It would have added the extra incentive for him to ascend.

I do not believe in the "fanboyisms" of characters, but I guess I do like Gohan although not at the expense of other characters.. Goku really is more enjoyable in Dragon Ball though.

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Sat May 11, 2013 2:09 am

As a whole I generally quite enjoy it. The first half up until Vegeta's death is really, really good- the high school/Saiyaman/preparing for the Budokai, The Budokai. And then the mystery with Kaioshin and Spopovitch and company, material in Babidi's spaceship/Goku vs Vegeta/ Vegeta's sacrifice... Then it becomes somewhat messy with some scattered good bits- I like the fusion material, the whole Genki Dama and ending even if it's abrupt. Special perks in the anime such as some really beautifully animated eps also help.

Like I've mentioned a few times I prefer it to the Artifcial Human/Cell arc. That arc is more of a mess to me than the Boo arc. Boring villians (16, 17 and 18 go joyriding for pete's sake and don't really have a motive at all), lackluster fights- at least till the Cell Game, annoying anti-hero Vegeta, Gohan's sudden pacifist turn, Trunks fades more or less to a spectator, Gero coming out of nowhere and creating robots and enhanced humans that are stronger than Freeza and the Super Saiyans... What saves that arc for me is Cell's introduction but after it/he transforming it takes until the Cell Game for it to finally come together. Cell is still probably my favourite villian design too in his perfect form. Also love his first form.

Bascially I think that both arcs have about the same amount of problems and also same amount of positives.

Saiyan-Freeza still remain the best of Dragonball Z for me. I think it should have ended with Goku as the Super Saiyan- it felt like the whole series was built to that point and he is the main character after all.
Last edited by DBZ Mick on Sat May 11, 2013 7:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin

seansmith9322
Not-So-Newbie

Post by seansmith9322 » Sat May 11, 2013 3:03 am

When I was a kid Buu arc was my favorite. This is probably because it had the craziest stuff going on (ss3, majin vageta, multiple fusions, etc) But as my DBZ fandom has matured I have came to realize that it is one of the weakest arcs. Also as a kid I hated the Cell arc, silly me.
Frieza: Round and round the monkey goes. If he should stop , then OFF WITH HIS NOSE!!!!

Eclipse
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Eclipse » Sat May 11, 2013 4:48 am

There's a lot of the Boo arc that I like, the general comedic air of it was something unseen in awhile. Gotenks is probably one of the more unique character designs, attacks and personality. Apart from pacing, I'm happy with it.
I agree with this. That being said, the ending was perfect so I do wish there had been some way of setting it so Gohan still fulfilled everything the show had set up for him yet having it so Goku would still save the day without it looking like Gohan was shafted completely.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sat May 11, 2013 8:58 am

The Majin Buu arc is a mess, but the humor side of it is so enjoyable that it could be considered the best arc in that regard. Plus, Mr. Satan makes everything better.

MetroidFan

Post by MetroidFan » Sat May 11, 2013 9:47 pm

I prefer the Boo arc over the Android and Cell arcs, but not over Freeza and the Saiyajin arcs. While I did enjoy Android 17, 18, and Imperfect Cell, I just could not get into these arcs. I found them boring for some reason. Maybe it was due to the fact that, each arc took itself too seriously for me to fully enjoy them.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat May 11, 2013 11:09 pm

The Buu saga was epic at first. Since you said watch I'm going by anime. The other world arc - Majin Vergeta was the most intense and badass thing in dbz since Freeza. Afterwards when Vegeta blows himself up and FAILED it becomes bad. To cluster and felt dragged. I would have prefer Buu having the power but the Z fighters having the skill. Similar to USSJ vs Cell. I can easily see Piccolo and even Krillin doing well against Buu due to Buu's horrible fighting skills. Hence why I hate the idea of who got the bigger power level in Buu saga cause it takes away from the characters.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat May 11, 2013 11:39 pm

Yes.

Hands down my favorite arc in the series. My girlfriend's as well.

That said, this only applies to the anime version. I've actually never read the original -- I've heard this is one of the few arcs or possibly only arc improved by Toei's adaptation, which I could definitely see.
B wrote:The Buu arc is everything anti-fans accuse the series of being overall, except on purpose. It's without a doubt the best ending DB could have hoped for, taking into account everything that comes before(because it doesn't work without everything that comes before it). To imagine alternatives like Gohan or Vegeta defeating Buu, or giving it a more serious tone, couldn't sound more boring to me. Toriyama is poking fun at his own series in a way that only someone so detached from what he's created can.
Great summary of why I enjoy it so much.

Incredibly dire plot + incredibly silly tone + likable characters for the first time since early Dragon Ball + crazy endgame feelings + intentional self-parody + some of the best artistic, animated and musical output of Toei's entire run makes for wacky, off-the-wall gold.
seansmith9322 wrote:When I was a kid Buu arc was my favorite. This is probably because it had the craziest stuff going on (ss3, majin vageta, multiple fusions, etc) But as my DBZ fandom has matured I have came to realize that it is one of the weakest arcs. Also as a kid I hated the Cell arc, silly me.
Funny. I actually felt the opposite as a kid, and have reversed my opinions as I've taken a more mature look at the series. Probably because with Dragon Ball, the more mature your outlook, the less seriously you take it.