Pichi-pichi gyaru!

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Fuujin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Pichi-pichi gyaru!

Post by Fuujin » Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:46 am

Just a pointless question, how was it translated in FUNi dub, FUNi sub and Viz manga? I know what it means, but I'm curious how was it handled by translators.
It's party time, Ginyu style!

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Re: Pichi-pichi gyaru!

Post by Rocketman » Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:10 am

Fuujin wrote:Just a pointless question, how was it translated in FUNi dub, FUNi sub and Viz manga? I know what it means, but I'm curious how was it handled by translators.
First of all...what is it?

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:16 am

Does that mean "sexy girl" or something?
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

DBW
Regular

Post by DBW » Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:32 am

FUNi dub: ??? (don't have the disk anymore)
FUNi sub: pichi-pichi gal
Viz manga: LITTLE HOTTY
Rocketman wrote:First of all...what is it?
Pichi-pichi means "lively", although in Kame Sennin's context I always imagined it meaning something more along the lines of "bouncy". :P Basically what he's trying to say is that he wants a young girl.

Incase you're wondering, this is from chapter 24/episode 14 when Goku first goes to Kame Sennin's for training and he first requests that Goku bring him a girl.
The complete DragonBall archive...Believe.
www.kanzentai.com

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:37 am

DBW wrote:Pichi-pichi means "lively", although in Kame Sennin's context I always imagined it meaning something more along the lines of "bouncy". :P Basically what he's trying to say is that he wants a young girl.
That brings back memories, I think the dub has Roshi saying "bouncy bouncy", when the subtext says "pichi-pichi" during the first Tenka'ichi Budokai. (in DB, I can't remember the actual number of the tournament, but it was the first in the series.)

I think... I'll have to go watch that dvd to make absolute certain, so don't qoute me on that.

Daimao
Mr. Subtitles

Post by Daimao » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:01 am

Yeah, "pichi-pichi gal" was the only way to go to make it work with Goku's "bitchy-bitchy gag" joke, and the non-translation just stuck. (This goes double, since the gag is used in both the series and the Sleeping Princess movie.)

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:01 am

Daimao wrote:Yeah, "pichi-pichi gal" was the only way to go to make it work with Goku's "bitchy-bitchy gag" joke, and the non-translation just stuck. (This goes double, since the gag is used in both the series and the Sleeping Princess movie.)
I've definitely got to re-watch my dvds, because I really don't remember any "bitchy-bitchy" gags. But if it's on any one of the dvds I own, you can be sure I'll find em'!

Maybe you can point out a specific episode, and or disc for me, to shorten my search, Steve?

Daimao
Mr. Subtitles

Post by Daimao » Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:31 pm

lost in thought wrote:I've definitely got to re-watch my dvds, because I really don't remember any "bitchy-bitchy" gags. But if it's on any one of the dvds I own, you can be sure I'll find em'!

Maybe you can point out a specific episode, and or disc for me, to shorten my search, Steve?
If I remember correctly, it's either the first or second episode on the Tournament Disc set. "Goku's Rival Appears" or "Enter Goku's Rival" or however I translated it--the one where Kuririn is formally introduced. It also had that impossible-to-translate Budo (grape)/Budo (martial arts) gag.

Kaio and Goku's Excellent Adventures in Lousy Puns will fare a little better when that disc comes out, but they're still lousy (by design).

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:06 pm

Daimao wrote:
lost in thought wrote:If I remember correctly, it's either the first or second episode on the Tournament Disc set. "Goku's Rival Appears" or "Enter Goku's Rival" or however I translated it--the one where Kuririn is formally introduced. It also had that impossible-to-translate Budo (grape)/Budo (martial arts) gag.

Kaio and Goku's Excellent Adventures in Lousy Puns will fare a little better when that disc comes out, but they're still lousy (by design).
Excellent. Later today I'll have to spend a few hours watching my DB dvd.
I rarely get to do that as it is, so this will be very, very nice. :)

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:21 pm

I don't know what we'd do without you, Simmons-sama! :D
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!