Theories for how Boo's absorption works

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Theories for how Boo's absorption works

Post by dbzfan7 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:22 pm

We have no definitive answer for the gains he gets through absorption. Some have said its pure addition while others have made ideas where he gets a little more than that.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Kaboom

Re: Theories for how Boo's absorption works

Post by Kaboom » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:27 pm

I think that for most people, it's just simple addition. Boo takes the power of whoever he absorbs and adds it to himself. That's what happened with Gotenks, Piccolo, and Gohan.

But with other, less-straightforward beings, it can get a little more complicated. Namely the Kaioshin, who with their pure-hearted holiness and probably unconventional god-ki seem to mix differently with Majin Boo's evil magic. The nature of the individual Kaioshin that Boo absorbed would determine how his power is affected.

I think that under most circumstances, Boo absorbing another Boo would probably be straightforward too. The only reason that ended up more complicated during the series was because in all cases the Kaioshin were along for the ride.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
3DS FC: 1504 - 5800 - 6358

We Gotta Power >>>>> Cha-La Head Cha-La. Fight me.

A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Mjb1985
Advanced Regular

Post by Mjb1985 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:40 pm

Everyone is absorbed by addition except for the Kaioshins. Kaioshins are absorbed by their traits.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:57 pm

I second what everyone else has said. Makes sense to me.

What about Cell's absorptions though? Are his additive? Is Perfect Cell just Semi-Perfect Cell + Android 18?
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Mjb1985
Advanced Regular

Post by Mjb1985 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:05 pm

Cell absorbs everyone by addition except for 17 and 18. 17 and 18 are just keys that open the doors to Cell's true powers.

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:41 pm

It's purely addition unless Kais are involved IMO.
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:57 pm

It's purely addition for me even with the Kais. I really see no reason to diverge here. Except with Dai Kaioshin. He was the only one noted to have a unique effect on Buu.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:58 pm

Kai's have divine Ki so I can see them having different effects.
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:03 pm

And I see no reason for South Kaioshin to have a different effect on Buu when nothing of the sort was implied. All we know is that Buu killed the North and West Kaioshins, came across South Kaioshin, who just so happened to be the strongest, then mysteriously decided to absorb him instead of kill him like the last two, then got a giant power boost. I see no reason to doubt that South Kaioshin is a beast and this is pure addition.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Mjb1985
Advanced Regular

Post by Mjb1985 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:06 pm

All Kaioshins have a different effect imo.

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:06 pm

I see Southie as multiplicative to a degree.
Youtube channel:
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:08 pm

And I don't, because nothing of the sort was implied. Kibito Kai's story seems really straight forward; Buu absorbed a really strong guy and so became really strong.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:36 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:And I see no reason for South Kaioshin to have a different effect on Buu when nothing of the sort was implied.
South Kaioshin is the only thing that troubled me from going by addition (until TheMightyOzaru's therory!). If you start calculations & stuff, then South Kaioshin should be at least 10 times stronger than SS3 Goku, which makes things very odd. Let me explain:

Goku expected SS Gotenks to be stronger than him. I see SS Gotenks stronger than SS3 Goku, but less than 2 times stronger. Now that means that SS3 Gotenks is a little more than 8 times stronger than SS3 Goku. And SS3 Gotenks is around the same level with Evil Boo. And S. Kaioshin Boo is stated to be stronger than Evil Boo, while Pure Boo is around the same level as SS3 Goku.

Now, if S. Kaioshin Boo is Pure Boo + S. Kaioshin, then S. Kaioshin must be very strong, strong enough to one-shot Pure Boo. And I can't see S. Kaioshin playing around with Boo when he has killed 2 Kaioshin.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:09 pm

South Kaioshin can't be stronger than Gohan SSJ2 (Full Power), since all Kaioshins tried to pull the Z-Sword without succeeding. As for Buu absorptions, Skiny Boo and Fat Boo forming Evil Boo (a.k.a. Super Boo) would be like fusion power-up IMO. The Kaioshins had different effects, but the Z-Senshi works as pure addition.

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:21 pm

Hugo Boss wrote:South Kaioshin can't be stronger than Gohan SSJ2 (Full Power), since all Kaioshins tried to pull the Z-Sword without succeeding. As for Buu absorptions, Skiny Boo and Fat Boo forming Evil Boo (a.k.a. Super Boo) would be like fusion power-up IMO. The Kaioshins had different effects, but the Z-Senshi works as pure addition.
We don't even know if South Kaioshin tried to pull out the Z-Sword. East Kaioshin merely said many Kaioshin have tried and failed.
Youtube channel:
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:41 pm

It doesn't make sense not trying a method East Kaioshin believes that could be able to defeat Boo. That legend must have been passed through generations. If not all, at least the Kaioshins from his time. Or South Kaioshin used the sword before getting absorbed but it was placed in the rock by another being. The problem is that East Kaioshin would have mention his name while telling the story.

Mjb1985
Advanced Regular

Post by Mjb1985 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:54 pm

Yea Buff Buu is just ridiculously superior to Kid Buu, multiplication is the only method I find viable. I definitely don't see South Kaioshin being 2x Goku of all people, that really doesn't sit well with me. Super Saiyan power was wowing Kaioshin, Ssj3 should blow out any Kaioshin imo.

South Kaioshin was a burly, strong guy. Buu becomes a ridiculously burly, strong guy. Dai Kaioshin was pure hearted, Buu became pure hearted.

East Kaioshin Buu would be incompetent. West Kaioshin Buu would be sexy as fack!

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:13 pm

South Kaioshin is the only thing that troubled me from going by addition (until TheMightyOzaru's therory!). If you start calculations & stuff, then South Kaioshin should be at least 10 times stronger than SS3 Goku, which makes things very odd. Let me explain:

Goku expected SS Gotenks to be stronger than him. I see SS Gotenks stronger than SS3 Goku, but less than 2 times stronger. Now that means that SS3 Gotenks is a little more than 8 times stronger than SS3 Goku. And SS3 Gotenks is around the same level with Evil Boo. And S. Kaioshin Boo is stated to be stronger than Evil Boo, while Pure Boo is around the same level as SS3 Goku.

Now, if S. Kaioshin Boo is Pure Boo + S. Kaioshin, then S. Kaioshin must be very strong, strong enough to one-shot Pure Boo. And I can't see S. Kaioshin playing around with Boo when he has killed 2 Kaioshin.
You know... you can just consider think Goku was lying to Buu here. He kind of retcons everything he says about Fat Buu and Gotenks later, when he says he could've beaten Fat Buu at any time and was pretending to be confident about Gotenks, when he really considered him "a nasty gamble". I don't think that Gotenks is eight times stronger at all, or he would GRAB people in the Kaioshin realm like Goku's SS3 power did, and with that stupid level of power he'd be a sure thing, not a gamble. I personally have:

Fat Buu- 14
Gotenks SS pre- 15.6
Gotenks SS post- 17
Super Buu- 100
Gotenks SS3 post- 136
Goku SS3- 40
Kid Buu- 45
South Kaioshin- 65
Buff Buu- 110
It doesn't make sense not trying a method East Kaioshin believes that could be able to defeat Boo. That legend must have been passed through generations. If not all, at least the Kaioshins from his time. Or South Kaioshin used the sword before getting absorbed but it was placed in the rock by another being. The problem is that East Kaioshin would have mention his name while telling the story.
There is literally no evidence that South Kaioshin ever tried to pull out the sword. All we know is that more than one Kaioshin tried to pull it out, and some guys in the same league as Kibito also tried.

Kibito heavily implied that SS2 Gohan wouldn't be seen as special by Kaioshin standards anyway.
South Kaioshin was a burly, strong guy. Buu becomes a ridiculously burly, strong guy. Dai Kaioshin was pure hearted, Buu became pure hearted.
Again, Dai Kaioshin was the only one noted to affect Buu uniquely. Saying South Kaioshin isn't purely additive has no evidence behind it.
I definitely don't see South Kaioshin being 2x Goku of all people
Neither do I, but I do have him waaaaay stronger.
Super Saiyan power was wowing Kaioshin, Ssj3 should blow out any Kaioshin imo.
...so just because Super Saiyan power kind of impressed the absolute weakest Kaioshin (that's incredibly debatable btw, he only seemed impressed by SS2 powers), all Super Saiyans > all Kaioshin? Even though even the weakest Kaioshin has better feats than Super Saiyan Gohan...?
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:32 pm

Wait, where did Kibito imply that SS2 Gohan's power wasn't impressive for a Kaioshin?
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:35 pm

Saiga wrote:Wait, where did Kibito imply that SS2 Gohan's power wasn't impressive for a Kaioshin?
I think he's talking about how Kibito saw Gohan's SSJ2 power, and still felt it necessary to say that no Kaioshin had been able to pull out the sword.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"