Has anyone ever cried when watching the Dragonball trilogy?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Has anyone ever cried when watching the Dragonball trilogy?

Post by Conan the SSJ » Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:57 pm

I have, quite surprisingly a considerable amount of times. Please don't make fun of me. Here are all the times that have brought me to the verge and/or beyond:

OG DB episode 111 - Roshi's death.
DBZ episode 5 - Goku's death.
DBZ episode 25 - The process of Tien's final kikoho and death for Chaozu.
DBZ episode 28 - Piccolo's final words to Gohan and his death.
DBZ episode 106 - Goku being stranded on planet Namek and eventually seemingly being caught in the explosion.
Trunks special - Gohan's death, the scene of Trunks finding Gohan's body, and Trunks' loss.
DBZ episode 150 - Piccolo being blast-impaled by Cell, then being thrown aside like thrash.
DBZ episode 188 - The post Earth scene after Goku is killed on Kaio's planet where Gohan, Vegeta, and the others realize what just happened.
DBZ episode 208 - When Goku comes back for his one day and first sees Goten, as well as their embracing.
DBZ episode 237 - Vegeta's final words to Trunks and his ultimate sacrifice.
DBZ episode 277 - Earth's ultimate destruction, and the death of Gohan and the others.
DBGT episode 40 - Piccolo's final conversation with Gohan and his last destiny being fulfilled.
DBGT episode 64 - The music playing as the dragonballs are absorbed into Goku, and the final 4 minute flashback Goku has as he departs the Tenkaichi Budokai arena, his final destiny long since fulfilled.
14 years later

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:02 pm

I still cry like a baby when I watch the ending of DBGT. It's actually kinda embarassing, since I figure I should be desensitized to it, by now. But I'm not. When the narrator chimes in with his remarks about how everyone loves Goku, I just f-in' lose it.

And to a lesser extent these days, Gohan's SSJ2 in episode 184.

One of the first times I can remember getting choked up is back in 1996 during the first run of the DBZ dub. It's episode 21 (?) when Goku arrives back on Earth. Gohan's up on Kintoun, and there's that sorta slow, but triumphantly-upbeat tune... then Nappa spots Goku up in the sky, and he lowers himself down... and Vegeta's all like, "We've been expecting you, Kakarrot...". Man, hands-down, that's one of my all-time favorite dub moments. In fact, I prefer that scene in the original dub (I refused to watch the redub of it) even as opposed to the Japanese version, which just has the short and quirky "CHA-LA HEAD-CHA-LA" instrumental.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Last Son of Krypton
Beyond Newbie

Post by Last Son of Krypton » Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:07 pm

I have never cried during DB, DBZ, or DBGT. Not once.

DB_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Has anyone ever cried when watching the Dragonball trilo

Post by DB_Fan » Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:23 pm

Conan the SSJ wrote:I have, quite surprisingly a considerable amount of times. Please don't make fun of me. Here are all the times that have brought me to the verge and/or beyond:

OG DB episode 111 - Roshi's death.
DBZ episode 5 - Goku's death.
DBZ episode 25 - The process of Tenshinhan's final kikoho and death for Chaozu.
DBZ episode 28 - Piccolo's final words to Gohan and his death.
DBZ episode 106 - Goku being stranded on planet Namek and eventually seemingly being caught in the explosion.
Trunks special - Gohan's death, the scene of Trunks finding Gohan's body, and Trunks' loss.
DBZ episode 150 - Piccolo being blast-impaled by Cell, then being thrown aside like thrash.
DBZ episode 188 - The post Earth scene after Goku is killed on Kaio's planet where Gohan, Vegeta, and the others realize what just happened.
DBZ episode 208 - When Goku comes back for his one day and first sees Goten, as well as their embracing.
DBZ episode 237 - Vegeta's final words to Trunks and his ultimate sacrifice.
DBZ episode 277 - Earth's ultimate destruction, and the death of Gohan and the others.
DBGT episode 40 - Piccolo's final conversation with Gohan and his last destiny being fulfilled.
DBGT episode 64 - The music playing as the dragonballs are absorbed into Goku, and the final 4 minute flashback Goku has as he departs the Tenkaichi Budokai arena, his final destiny long since fulfilled.
I think that cried in all that moments, and a few others including:
- When Maron leaves Krillin
- In the Namek Saga when those two henchmen catch Bulma, she has some flashbacks and starts to crying :cry:
:cry: -Yamcha death on the Saiyan Saga, when also seing Bulma and Puar crying
-At the end of the Buu saga when everyone gives their energy to Goku's Genki Dama
-When Goku tells everyone about Vegeta and Gohan's deaths

Plus, the ones Conan the SSJ mentioned and some others in the original Dragon Ball, wich means I am really an emotional cry baby :oops:
Last edited by DB_Fan on Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

h3ndrix2005
Beyond Newbie

Post by h3ndrix2005 » Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:36 pm

Wow; what a bunch of pussies. LoL, just kidding. I've yet to cry, but I have come close multiple times. So many times, in fact, that I can't name them all.

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:41 pm

Let's see...I always tear up when:
-Piccolo jumps in front of the blast meant to kill Gohan.
-Vegeta lays upon death on Namek, then pleads Goku to kill Freeza, while crying (!)
-Goku leaving at the end of DBGT, the flashbacks and the recap.
-Goku Jr going to the hospital and learning of Pan's health. :cry: That one always get to me...

That's all I got...
I really, really need to get back into the habit of posting.

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:56 pm

I like this topic, so here I go divulging a deep dark teary eyed secret:

There's three times that I've gotten all misty over the series, the first being when Goku decides not to return to Earth, aftering dieing against Cell. It was a touching moment, and the pan out seeing him in the sky, and the narrator (dub mind you,) commenting on it. It was all just too much.

And the second time was when DBZ ended its run on Cartoon Network. It really hit home that I'd been watching the series for as long as I have, and that it was *actually* over. Not just over from the standpoint that it had been completed in like 1996-97 or something, but that I had seen the series from start to end, and that the story finally reached the conclusion. It was done.
Though now, the episode doesn't have quite the same impact as it had then, but it's the end, the end of a series I really enjoyed.

The third (which I base on the dub, since I've never heard the Japanese audio of yet,) is the final episode of GT. Now the dub episode probably doesn't have quite the same impact as the original, but seeing Goku do his thing, and nap on Shenrons' head, and that being like his final adventure really choked me up, much like it had for the end of Z, but it now felt much more like Goku's story was over and done.

Of course he still lives on in Neko Majin Z, which was, and is still a big treat.

gallagtor
Beyond Newbie

Post by gallagtor » Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:50 pm

Don't worry EX, I cry every time I watch GT too. :roll: In all seriousness though, I've never cried while watching Dragon Ball. I'm not a real emotional person, so I never really cry while watching movies, going to funerals, etc.
"Look at these guns baybah! Peow, peow!" -Broli

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:22 pm

You're mean for disliking GT, you're not allowed to have your own opinion, standard GT defending rant...

What? I'm tired.

Anyway, I hardly ever cry at funerals either, but I cry during anime. ._. Usagi's scream at the beginning of ep 111 of Sailor Moon always sends chills down my spine.

About DBZ... I cried when Yamcha died and everyone was horrified, when Goku sacrificed himself in the Cell arc and said his farewells, and when Majin Vegeta died.

GT.. I haven't seen as much as I want to subbed, but 18's reaction to her husband's death gets me. I love the "RETURN HIM!"s. I haven't seen the infamous ending yet. =/ Just read summaries, though even they get me (damn your phrasing, Werner).

'lo Legends
Not-So-Newbie

Post by 'lo Legends » Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:50 pm

One of the saddest moments to me was when Future Gohan dies in the Trunks Special...

Other parts I think are sad, in their own way, and that I almost cried at:

- When Gohan turns Super Saiyan 2, with the original Japanese music. Not because it's THAT sad, but more because it's so excellent. It's like, awesome. Gohan, finally releasing all of the anger that was the source of his power. Things like that really get to me.

- (This part is actually more in the Manga, yes, I actually found a part in the manga pretty sad) When Goku is on Planet namek, and it's about to explode. It shows a close up of Goku's face, which looks oddly calm/confused, and then he rears his head back and yells "I can't stop it!!" at the top of his lungs.
Random Fact: "If Freeza used a watering can on Piccolo, he would turn into a tree. FACT."

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:28 pm

^ I actually preferred the Budokai 1 interpretation, where SSJ Goku just screams as the planet erupts.

Anyways, I've only cried twice while watching DB. Once on the last episode of DBZ (that was more of a "what the ... that sucked! ;_;" cry, though) and the last episode of GT, for the 'that's all for DB' angle.

Last Son of Krypton
Beyond Newbie

Post by Last Son of Krypton » Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:29 pm

gallagtor wrote:Don't worry EX, I cry every time I watch GT too. :roll: In all seriousness though, I've never cried while watching Dragon Ball. I'm not a real emotional person, so I never really cry while watching movies, going to funerals, etc.
So I'm not the only one, eh? Ha ha.

Most of the moments that have already been listed didn't make me cry. They were more like WTF!? moments, or "Damn. Just...damn" moments. Nothing that I would cry over, but they definitely made me do a double take.

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:53 pm

I remember tears at the end of GT (Japanese). That was something, a conclusion to it all. A real emotional point. Made me look back at all the great times.

Seriously, it was rare for me to even care about the show... I'd watch DBZ on the edge of my seat, shaking in excitement... and then I'd go make a sandwich during a "climactic battle" in GT. So I really think the ending was some special moment, to actually make me cry.

On every board I go to, I always see some sort of "Post if you cried during the ending to Newest Squaresoft RPG" and I never have. I know I always show a high level of respect for a great game during it's credits, though. Like "A moment of silence for this grand RPG! I will miss you." Then I ceremoniously throw the game in my closet to collect dust with the others. I'm like that with a bunch of things.

I don't know. I don't cry at funerals, but I cry at the ending to GT? I'm fucked up, maybe. But I can relate to people who cry at plots and things.

Did I get teary eyed at any other part of DB? I've always had a poor memory, so I only remember crying at the end. So the answer is "maybe". But I doubt it. It didn't strike me as an emotional event, even when the main characters would die.

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:10 am

Zackarotto wrote:I remember tears at the end of GT (Japanese). That was something, a conclusion to it all. A real emotional point. Made me look back at all the great times.

Seriously, it was rare for me to even care about the show... I'd watch DBZ on the edge of my seat, shaking in excitement... and then I'd go make a sandwich during a "climactic battle" in GT. So I really think the ending was some special moment, to actually make me cry.

On every board I go to, I always see some sort of "Post if you cried during the ending to Newest Squaresoft RPG" and I never have. I know I always show a high level of respect for a great game during it's credits, though. Like "A moment of silence for this grand RPG! I will miss you." Then I ceremoniously throw the game in my closet to collect dust with the others. I'm like that with a bunch of things.

I don't know. I don't cry at funerals, but I cry at the ending to GT? I'm fucked up, maybe. But I can relate to people who cry at plots and things.

Did I get teary eyed at any other part of DB? I've always had a poor memory, so I only remember crying at the end. So the answer is "maybe". But I doubt it. It didn't strike me as an emotional event, even when the main characters would die.
Maybe you are fucked up. Maybe we're all fucked up to some degree. But when you're engaged in a program so long as DBZ, and stick with it, I think emotion in points is not only warranted, but expected.
I mean, you devote yourself to a show because you enjoy it, if you didn't feel for it in a way, then why should you even watch?

Anyway, I still feel a pang in my heart strings when Goku decides that it's best not to come back. It's like loosing your hero. And in a way, I was glad that the series took that route, but sadly it was not to last.

Tenka-Ichi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tenka-Ichi » Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:19 am

Although I may not have actually cried, I was sad when pretty much anything that has been mentioned so far happened.
lost in thought wrote:Maybe you are fucked up. Maybe we're all fucked up to some degree. But when you're engaged in a program so long as DBZ, and stick with it, I think emotion in points is not only warranted, but expected.
I mean, you devote yourself to a show because you enjoy it, if you didn't feel for it in a way, then why should you even watch?
I totally agree with that statement. When you love a show as much as I love Dragonball, you're bound to get emotional when something happens to a character you've grown to love more than you're own family. :P
Last edited by Tenka-Ichi on Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:23 am

I shed a single tear during this scene.

I almost cried when Juuhachigou was forced to watch her husband die.

Other than that, nothing, really. But that doesn't mean most of it got to me. I just don't cry a lot.

One other very powerful scene in an anime, though (that made my hair stand up on end), was Harry McDowell screaming "BRAN-DOOOOOON!" just before he shot Brandon Heat the final time, on Gungrave. Man, that was nuts...
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

Mike
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mike » Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:29 am

I've never cried while watching Dragon Ball. This may be do to the fact that I'm not a very emotional kind of guy, I don't really know. There have been a few instances, though that have really choked me up. Times when I would actually become really sad and depressed just from watching a damn television show. :shock:

The following are the scenes that really got to me:
1. Piccolo sacrifices his life to save Gohan and then proceeds to tell him that Gohan was his only friend in life.
2. Coinciding with the Piccolo death was the death of Kami and Popo's farewell.
3. Roshi tries his hardest to defeat King Piccolo but ends up failing anyway.
4. Bee is shot and Majin Buu loses his only true friend.
5. Vegeta's death scene on Namek. Till this day this scene is clearly one of my favorites.
6. Burter's defeat by Goku on Namek. Don't ask me why but this scene really saddens me. Of course we all know Burter was evil, but we never actually saw him do anything wrong and then he gets picked apart by Goku. Not only that but he is deserted by his teammate and then killed by Vegeta. Those Bastards! :(

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:19 am

The S wrote:One other very powerful scene in an anime, though (that made my hair stand up on end), was Harry McDowell screaming "BRAN-DOOOOOON!" just before he shot Brandon Heat the final time, on Gungrave. Man, that was nuts...
Oh, fuck. Don't get me started on Gungrave. The elevator scene? Incredible. I think I got a little teary eyed there. One of the best scenes in any series. I think that overall Gungrave got worse from there, but it was definitely worth watching to the end.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:03 pm

Huh. I consider myself to be an emotional person but I've yet to cry in regards to anything DB related. I guess it's because it's aimed at kids that the impact isn't strong enough for me.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:24 pm

Oh, fuck. Don't get me started on Gungrave. The elevator scene? Incredible. I think I got a little teary eyed there. One of the best scenes in any series. I think that overall Gungrave got worse from there, but it was definitely worth watching to the end.
Although the rest of the series felt rushed (the Millennion members' fights were too short, and some of the transformations were different, although I liked Bear's better), I thought the ending matched Harry and Brandon's personalities and was better than the first game's ending.

Must... keep... things... revelant... with Dragon Ball... um... in Gungrave Overdose, Grave goes Giji Super Saiyan. Um... yeah.
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!