Has anyone ever cried when watching the Dragonball trilogy?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperFusion
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperFusion » Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:28 pm

lol

No. No, I haven't cried while watching the Dragon Ball series.

Dominator
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dominator » Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:42 pm

I've never cried but I have gotten a few lumps in my throat. Seeing Goku teleport Cell to Kaiosama's planet, Tenshinhan's attempt to avenge Chaozu and Gohan's reaction to Piccolo's death. And when I thought Pan was dead in the Super 17 saga and seeing Goku defeated by Baby and knowing that his entire family was against him. And the scene just before Vegeta's death in the Freeza saga when he tells Goku about forgetting his emotions and acting like a true Saiyan, that was the most powerful of all.
[url=http://www.freewebs.com/vendavaleste/]Carrion - The Dominator Fansite[/url]

Panda
Beyond Newbie

Post by Panda » Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:58 pm

I cried at the end of GT and when Cell kills #16.... oh and when that Indian guy dies in Dragonball!

SuperFusion
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperFusion » Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:28 pm

Panda wrote:I cried at the end of GT and when Cell kills #16
You mean in Z?

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:41 pm

SuperFusion wrote:
Panda wrote:I cried at the end of GT and when Cell kills #16
You mean in Z?
In GT, he cried at the end.
In Z, he cried when Cell killed #16...

He made no mistake. Where's the confusion?

SuperFusion
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperFusion » Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:44 pm

Thought he said he cried when Cell killed 16 in GT. That's the confusion.

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:59 pm

I've never cried while watching Dragon Ball but I've certainly felt strongly about certain things happening. It's amazing how attached you get to fictional characters, let alone cartoons.
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

Domon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Domon » Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:11 pm

It's amazing how attached you get to fictional characters, let alone cartoons.
Reading that, I can't help but think about the Enterprise episode where Dr. Phlox comments on human's emotional investments into fictional characters.

Back on the topic onhand; I can't say I actually cried at any scenes in DB/Z/GT, though there were certainly many many moments that tugged at the heartstring (such as the oft. mentioned final episode of GT).

Akira
Regular

Post by Akira » Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:54 pm

I've never burst into tears over anything in the vieweing of Dragonball-Z-GT. I don't really ever cry about anything though. I felt extremely sad at a couple of parts the first time I saw them though.

When Tambourine killed Krillin. Goku found the body and turned Krillin's face toward him and muttered, "He's dead." Everyone else was in shock from Bulma, to Tenshinhan, Roshi and the rest. The series had been mostly innocent until then. When you were robbed of a pivotal character, that first hit stuck home.

Later deaths in DB and Z I felt a little sad, but I just knew they'd use the Dragonballs to wish them back and didn't worry about it really. When Krillin died the second time, I was angry more than sad. I think that was what they wanted to evoke in you though, since Goku was about to become a Super Saiyan.

The only other time I felt really sad like the first Krillin death was when Goku calmly decides amoungst everyone else's terror to sacrifice himself and save everyone from Cell. That one stuck me good too.

Only other time besides those two instances was the last episode of GT, and really only then because it was all over for good there.

El_Diablo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by El_Diablo » Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:22 pm

I haven't cried watching or reading anything Dragon Ball related.

I felt a bit sad in the last episode of GT (Blue Water dub), but other than that I felt sadder watching the commercial where Segata Sanshiro dies than anything else in Dragon Ball.
Where's the beef?

BULBO

Post by BULBO » Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:40 pm

I never really cried in any part od the DB series, but that hasnt stopped me from enjoying the dramatic deaths of some of the characters, like when Tien Shinhan dies fighting against Nappa(that bold Saiyan that was with Vegetta).
But that whole "reviving them with the Dragon Ballz" kinda ruined some deaths.

Orochi_Rockman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Orochi_Rockman » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:08 pm

I've never cried, but some parts of the show have really gotten to me.

1. Roshi dying after failing to contain Piccolo.
2. Piccolo dying for Gohan in the Saiyan Saga.
3. Tienshinhan avenging Chaozu
4. Freeza torturing Vegeta and watching him plead for Goku to show Freeza no mercy before finally getting a Death Beam through the heart. The scene where Vegeta scrapes his hand across the dirt gets to me the most.
5. Trunks getting killed by Cell and Vegetas reaction.
6. Majin Vegetas Death
7. Krillins death in GT and 18s reaction [I don't care for GT, but I like Krillin and 18 and that really got to me]

Those scenes tug at Rockmans hearty strings. Now when I was little and I saw the Transformers movie for the first time and Optimus Prime died, I bawled like baby for the rest of the day.

Demi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Demi » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:31 pm

h3ndrix2005 wrote:Wow; what a bunch of pussies.

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:51 pm

I've only cried at the end of Dragonball GT, when they do the flashbacks from all 3 series. I love Dan Dan Kokoro Hikareteku, and seeing all the good times from the past and coming to the end when Goku takes Nyoibo in hand and flies off on Kinto'un and realizing there won't be more Dragonball after that... That, was a sad and the same time happy, pretty emotional moment.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:32 pm

I've never cried but I almost felt like it when Master Roshi died. Also it was rather touching with Goku and Granpa Gohan's reunion at Baba's.

Sodame
Banned

Me too

Post by Sodame » Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:15 am

2.when gohan went SSJ2
3.vegeta killed him-self
1.Goku destroy buu

gotenx
Beyond Newbie

Post by gotenx » Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:22 pm

I only cried once (but came close to crying many other times). The only event that really made me cry was when Vegeta self destructed. There was SOOO much emotion in that scene! I don't even know how to explain how much there was in it.

TheLiveActionAnimeBoy

Post by TheLiveActionAnimeBoy » Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:45 pm

I wouldn't say the moments in DBZ/DB/DBGT are emotional, but just have incredible impact with how they present it. Well, can't say that I ever cried but there have been some close calls.

Dragon Ball movie 4: Where Hacchan dies and it unleashes Gokuu's rage.

Dragon Ball Z: Where Gohan goes Super Saiya-jin 2. Not that it is "sad," but such an excellent moment like someone said.

Trunks going Super Saiya-jin for the first time in his special. More or less the same reasons as Gohan going Super Saiya-jin 2, but I think this one had more emotion. But Gohan had the better scream.

Vejita pleading to Gokuu to defeat Freeza before his death.

Kaoru_Nagisa

I'd gladly admit I cried...

Post by Kaoru_Nagisa » Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:38 am

If I had at any time during watching the series. The sad truth of it though is that my life has led me down a dark path...I barely even cried at my grandmother's funeral, for goshsakes. However, I still feel the emotions. I just can't let them out. So I'll list every time I wished I could cry while watching these three incredible parts of the Tale Of The Dragon Balls.

Many already listed apply (Pretty much all the deaths I felt to some degree, but I think the Vegeta Death Scene on Namek and the Majin Vegeta Sacrifice truly stuck with me), and let's not forget when Vegeta fought against Kid Buu, despite the chance that he would not only die in the literal sense, but be gone beyond any hope of Dragon Ball Ressurection (now THAT would be a weird name for a new DB series. -Shudder-). Despite that, he fought, and fought, never giving up. The monologue he had where he finally admitted "Kakarott, you are truly the best" got to me as well.

Unlike all of you, I've ever only seen Dragon Ball/Z/GT on television. I don't own any of the series on DVD/VHS, though I do own some of the games. Speaking of that, the first time I watched the "Final Explosion" move, with Japanese Dialogue on, in "Sparking!", I got the shivers. Really...

"Bulma, Trunks, (...some name I have yet to translate, S-someone...dunno who the heck he's talking to.), Kakarotto...sayonara."

Cue big explosion.

Well, that's about all I can think of at the moment, but it's been wayyyy too long since I've watched any of these. Even to this day, though, I can remember the first death of Vegeta...a lot of things in this series are moving.

...Artificial Human #16's death got to me too.
-Runs off before this gets any longer-

EDIT: Figured it out. He saids "Soshtei" (not sure of the spelling), meaning , roughly, I think, "and you". I went back to listen to it again...where it came from, actually, not just the original line, or the translation.
At first, he's complaining for Gohan to stop the awful racket because it really hurts, getting more and more pained and insistent as the song goes on... then it changes, and he starts laughing and talking about the little baby chickens, and how they go "peep-peep," etc. Yep, he goes crazy... - Julian

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:30 am

I cried when in the Frieza saga. That level of animation really brought tears to my eyes.