Dragon Ball Online Chronicles

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball Online Chronicles

Post by ZombieVito » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:46 pm

Amazing stuff but a very minor complaint:

After all the main Saiyans death, Piccolo is still pushed aside. :thumbdown:

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:20 pm

Piccolo's more active here than he was in the Buu Arc. lol
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:57 pm

This is great stuff.

The hint to it originally being written in Japanese and the fact that Toriyama indeed contributed to the story makes it quite likely that it indeed came from Toriyama. I can easily see him writing something like this. Anyway, the threat seems to be bigger than it looks initially. I mean... Piccolo should be the strongest guy alive besides Kibitoshin, and he claims that he can't defeat Miira. How are Humans/Nameks/Majins supposed to handle her (and the main villain)? I had personally thought that Humans going Super Saiyans, Nameks becoming Great Nameks (well, this one isn't that far-fetched), Majins becoming Pure Boo were all just gameplay elements and didn't exactly reflect the real "canon" (yes, I went there). But without those transformations it's hard to see them being comparable to even true form Freeza, so I guess they're legit?

In any case, I'm waiting for more! Though I'd rather not have all the info wrapped in the [quote] BBCode.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:16 pm

hleV wrote:Anyway, the threat seems to be bigger than it looks initially. I mean... Piccolo should be the strongest guy alive besides Kibitoshin, and he claims that he can't defeat Miira. How are Humans/Nameks/Majins supposed to handle her (and the main villain)? I had personally thought that Humans going Super Saiyans, Nameks becoming Great Nameks (well, this one isn't that far-fetched), Majins becoming Pure Boo were all just gameplay elements and didn't exactly reflect the real "canon" (yes, I went there). But without those transformations it's hard to see them being comparable to even true form Freeza, so I guess they're legit?
First, Miira is the guy. Towa is the girl. =P

The players unlocking their respective transformations is probably supposed to actually happen in the game's story. It's most likely just the part about them having to wish to Shelong to unlock the forms that should be ignored. I mean, you also ask Shenlong to grant you a second HTB Attack too, so the transformation wish should probably be treated as just a game mechanic designed to make obtaining them harder.
hleV wrote:In any case, I'm waiting for more! Though I'd rather not have all the info wrapped in the quote BBCode.
There's not much left to tell. The "Original Stories" from the second post are all supplemental information about other aspects for the Dragon ball's Earth (Karin Tower, the Map Revealers, Axe Rock, etc), not much to do with the game's plot. The only potential thing left I can post are the full descriptions of the TLQs and TMQs that I sent to Herms for his timeline guide, though they were drastically shortened as he saw fit.

As for the quote tags, I format each batch of info how I think it looks most appealing. This one just didn't look good to me any other way I tried to set it up. Any subsequent info though will probably not receive the same treatment.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:10 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:Piccolo's more active here than he was in the Buu Arc. lol
I meant fighting wise haha.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:29 pm

So I just read Herms' twitter. He's obtained the Taiwanese version of DBO's guidebook. Kinda agreeing with him, seems kinda like the Korean version and the Taiwanese version have different histories for the game...? Or maybe this was all stuff that was decided after the Korean book was already released?
Herms wrote:So, Miira and Towa are actually a couple...and have a son, "Fu", who we're told will have a big influence on the world when he grows up. Towa was originally a brilliant scientist from the Demon World, but she betrayed the Demon World after joining up with Miira. Miira is...an artificial being created by condensing the DNA of various masters. Wasn't he supposed to be an Earthling from the future? Is he both, somehow? Do the Korean and Taiwanese versions have different backstory? Did they not coordinate it?

There's a picture of Commander Red as Android No.9 on the last page, but not a word of explanation. How disappointing is that?

There's a picture of Miss Boo. She's blue.

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:40 pm

Brilliant scientist from the Demon World... Does it mean Demon Realm? Because I thought it was ruled by magic, as opposed to the upper world which is ruled by science.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:51 pm

I'm assuming he meant Makai. I believe the "kai" there, 界, is also the symbol used in Kaio, and can be translated as either term.

I also seem to remember the Daizenshu stating something about Makai being ruled by magic, but their magic is like "science" for that realm.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:56 pm

Wow, I didn't expect that one. More information! And also...
TheDevilsCorpse wrote:There's a picture of Miss Boo. She's blue.
:o :o :o
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:30 pm

It sounds a lot like the early information Suzaku translated. I am guessing he is both somehow or the Earthling was retconned since Miira does have an artificial human monster icon when you fight him. And maybe Fu would have been/will be the villain of the next arc.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:32 pm

Makaioshin wrote:And maybe Fu would have been/will be the villain of the next arc had they gone on.
Yeah... The Korean version is the one that's gonna die. Let's not mourn the Taiwan & Honk Kong versions when we don't know anything.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:25 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
Makaioshin wrote:And maybe Fu would have been/will be the villain of the next arc had they gone on.
Yeah... The Korean version is the one that's gonna die. Let's not mourn the Taiwan & Honk Kong versions when we don't know anything.
That is why I removed that part and also said "will be".

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:50 pm

Makaioshin wrote:That is why I removed that part and also said "will be".
... Didn't notice. :P

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:52 pm

But Koreans are the ones that developed DBO. TW & HK just run DBO servers. Isn't that right?

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:02 pm

The Korean servers are being shut down. As far as I'm aware, the website's notice doesn't seem to have said that the game will no longer be under development at all. NTL could still theoretically produce content for the other publishers/servers...though it still doesn't look good with Taiwan seeming to have stopped paying for Game Guard (prevents hacking).

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:10 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:though it still doesn't look good with Taiwan seeming to have stopped paying for Game Guard (prevents hacking).
Maybe it's because of the whole Korean version shit? Perhaps after the whole situation is over, Game Guard will return back to normal, and we will get updates more frequently.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:58 pm

Oh yes, is there a Hong Kong DBO guidebook?

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:35 am

Again, thanks to Herms' Twitter:
Behold, Miss Boo:

And here's Miira and Towa's kid Fu, if you haven't seem him before:

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:49 am

Wow, Fu is that young? I imagined him as a boy, not as a baby. Cool designs for both him & Miss Boo BTW.

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:18 am

Ok, those designs were clearly done by the man himself. There is no way this wasn't planned ahead. There must be a misinformation somewhere and both versions are connected somehow.