How strong are Gurd's psychic powers?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

How strong are Gurd's psychic powers?

Post by Tyro » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:42 pm

Chaozu couldn't hurt Nappa and Kaioshin held back SS2 Gohan, but probably couldn't do much more than that. But we never got to see the extent of Gurd's abilities. He held back Gohan and Kuririn and Vegeta's cautiousness tells me they'd have probably worked on him too. Would they have worked on one of his fellow members, or even the Captain? How about Goku? What do you think?

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Re: How strong are Gurd's psychic powers?

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:51 pm

I figure that they must be effective against Ginyu Force-tier guys for him to be considered of any use on the team. I don't know HOW effective though, but even something like what Kaioshin did, stunning the enemy for a few seconds, would be vital in battle.

I think that, generally, psychic powers ceased to be effective when your opponent is many times stronger- Nappa was 6-7 times stronger than Chiaotzu, so his psychic powers did absolutely nothing. If your opponent is "only" 3-5 times stronger (the gap between Kaioshin and SS2 Gohan I have now), you can stun them for a few seconds, with some difficulty. If your opponent is twice or less as strong as you, you can just disable them with ease, like Chiaotzu with Krillin. For example, here's what I have for the notable psychics in the series:

Chiaotzu (Saiyan Saga)- 610

Nappa- 4,000

Hence, no effect

Guldo- 8,000

Krillin- 13,000
Gohan- 14,000

So he can disable them easily.

East Kaioshin- 1,500,000,000

SS2 Gohan- 5,200,000,000

So, with difficulty, he can restrain him for a few seconds.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:15 pm

I don't think we can compare the psychic powers of a human to a god.

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:24 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:I figure that they must be effective against Ginyu Force-tier guys for him to be considered of any use on the team. I don't know HOW effective though, but even something like what Kaioshin did, stunning the enemy for a few seconds, would be vital in battle.
That's what I was thinking.

But I think Kaioshin's technique has a higher effective range than the others, so they could all be different.
Paralysis Arts
First Appearance: Chapter 77
Category: special
People: Jacky Chun, General Blue, Chaozu, Gurudo, Kaioshin
Special Characteristics: A technique that prevents the opponent from moving their body. Depending on the user, the method of using it and its effect are completely different. General Blue’s version was only effective against a single opponent. It took effect when his opponent stared into his eyes. Chaozu held out both his hands, causing stomach pain in the targeted person that stopped them from moving. Jacky’s technique was said to poke a pressure point on the forehead, paralyzing the person’s motor nerves. Gurudo stopped Krillin and Son Gohan’s movement through psychokinesis that he fired from his hands, and his version was effective against multiple people. Also, Kaioshin’s technique was a powerful one that completely stopped Super Saiya-jin Gohan from moving. (Daizenshuu 2, pp.205-206/Daizenshuu 4, p.69, 117)

Psychokinesis
First Appearance: Chapter 80
Category: special
People: Ginyu, Gurudo, Cell, Turbo, Freeza, General Blue, Chaozu, Majin Buu (good)
Special Characteristics: A technique where, without touching them, they move objects with their thoughts. It is also called physic power. Blue guides the objects’ motion with his eyes, while Gurudo and Freeza use their arm movements. Freeza’s ability was passed on to Cell. (Daizenshuu 2, p.205/Daizenshuu 4, p.58, p.69)

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:39 pm

Assuming Guldo's paralysis technique is more like Chiaotzu's as far as how much stronger you have to be to shrug it off... it'd definitely work on Vegeta, would probably work at least to some extent on Recoome, Burter, and Jeice, and wouldn't do crap to Captain Ginyu (or the PL 90,000 Goku who beat up the others and fought Ginyu.)

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:37 pm

Once again another game breaking inconsistency in the series.

We don't know how advanced Time Stop is.
We don't know how far the range is.
We don't even know if the power can be shrugged off by someone thousands, millions, or tens of millions stronger than Guldo.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:31 am

FoolsGil wrote:Once again another game breaking inconsistency in the series.

We don't know how advanced Time Stop is.
We don't know how far the range is.
We don't even know if the power can be shrugged off by someone thousands, millions, or tens of millions stronger than Guldo.
inconsistency....how? Don't you mean more things that aren't explained?

Also I think telling by Ginyu's comment. A power level needs to be at least 60,000 IMO. I think Ginyu though Goku killed Guldo as well. Lastly I think Ginyu thought Goku took the ginyu force on 1 on 4

Son_Gohan
Advanced Regular

Post by Son_Gohan » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:36 am

The trend in the series with such psychic abilities is that a considerably stronger target can break free from it when forced to be kept stationary. I don't think Kaioshin's technique was something Gohan couldn't have broken out of if he had the time to see it coming; it's only shown to catch him off-guard momentarily enough for his energy to be stolen. What makes Gurd unique was his ability to stop time where the strength of his opponent wouldn't matter. But to simply restrain them while they're aware, power has to play a big part in that and I don't think it would've been effective against someone of a much higher level.

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:57 am

TheGmGoken wrote:I think Ginyu thought Goku killed Guldo as well. Lastly, I think Ginyu thought Goku took the Ginyu force on 1-on-4.
What? Why? We should assume that Jheese told Ginyu the story as it actually happened, unless there's some statement you know of that says otherwise.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:59 am

Tyro wrote:
TheGmGoken wrote:I think Ginyu thought Goku killed Guldo as well. Lastly, I think Ginyu thought Goku took the Ginyu force on 1-on-4.
What? Why? We should assume that Jheese told Ginyu the story as it actually happened, unless there's some statement you know of that says otherwise.
Well because Jheese pretty much hyped GOku up with a Battle level of 5k but yet still kicking as. I would't be shocked if Ginyu thought Goku beat all of them

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:14 am

TheGmGoken wrote:Well because Jheese pretty much hyped Goku up with a Battle level of 5k but yet still kicking ass. I wouldn't be shocked if Ginyu thought Goku beat all of them.
But Goku wasn't even on the planet when Gurd was killed, and it was obviously Vegeta's doing. I don't think he'd hype Goku for something he didn't even do. He 1-hit KO'd Recoom and Butta, and could outspeed all of them.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:15 am

Tyro wrote:
TheGmGoken wrote:Well because Jheese pretty much hyped Goku up with a Battle level of 5k but yet still kicking ass. I wouldn't be shocked if Ginyu thought Goku beat all of them.
But Goku wasn't even on the planet when Gurd was killed, and it was obviously Vegeta's doing. I don't think he'd hype Goku for something he didn't even do. He 1-hit KO'd Recoom and Butta, and could outspeed all of them.
Does Ginyu knows Guldo died from Vegeta? didn't Jhese say Goku took them all out or something like that.

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:59 am

I don't think he does. The emphasis seemed to be on Goku when Jheese returns to tell Ginyu. I mean, it's possible he mentioned Vegeta, but he probbaly didn't. Ginyu says "What?! Gurd, Reacoom and Butta all defeated?!" and right after, Jheese says "The Dude's unbelievable!", and that's pretty much it. Jheese more than likely told Ginyu that they were being kicked around by Goku, and Ginyu probably assumed Goku defeated all of them. We know Goku didn't fight Gurd, but based on Ginyu's response, he probably assumed he defeated all of them.
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~