Do you consider Jaco The Galactic Patrolman canon?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Re: Do you consider Jaco The Galactic Patrolman canon?

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:07 pm

^ Well, then I guess the In-Universe Discussion forum isn't for you.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:30 pm

Marco Polo wrote:Didn't Daizenshuu 4 already mention the existence of a Galactic Police which was not powerful enough to oppose Freeza or the Saiyans?
Yes, one of the Daizenshuu (it might be 4 but I can't remember) says that there are "Galactic Police" that couldn't stand up to Freeza or the Saiyans.
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:42 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:^ Well, then I guess the In-Universe Discussion forum isn't for you.
One can enjoy discussing the inner workings of the Dragon Ball story without becoming entangled in depthless discussion of an equally depthless topic. The problem here is that nobody is discussing the world of Dragon Ball without first relating it to other works, whether in 'canon' or 'strength' debates. Such is not the extent of an In-Universe forum's breadth of topics. Holes are being dug haphazardly with no goal in mind.

I'm trying to humor the idea of this being a topic with a destination, but I'm not actually seeing any argument worth its salt to credibly explain one's position considering the facts of the situation.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:06 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:Yes, but apparently both Freeza's organization and the galactic patrol operate in and around the proximity of Earth and planet Vegeta. You'd think there would be a conflict.
Besides the mention of the Galatic Police on Daizenshuu... I recall Chilled impersonating some kind of "space police" too.
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:55 pm

I'm still wondering how likely or unlikely it is that the galactic police showcased in Sachie-chan Go! and Jiya, the two one-shots that Toriyama did with Katsura, are also part of the same organization. I'm assuming that's just a coincidence as of now, since Toriyama did the stories for those but not the art, but you never know.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:55 pm

DoomieDoomie911 wrote:
Marco Polo wrote:Didn't Daizenshuu 4 already mention the existence of a Galactic Police which was not powerful enough to oppose Freeza or the Saiyans?
Yes, one of the Daizenshuu (it might be 4 but I can't remember) says that there are "Galactic Police" that couldn't stand up to Freeza or the Saiyans.
It seems like they may be the same thing as the Galactic Patrol. In his Q&A from the issue of V-Jump, Toriyama mentions that the Galactic Patrol just looks the other way with the Saiyans and Freeza because they don't stand a chance against such powerful enemies.
Gyt Kaliba wrote:I'm still wondering how likely or unlikely it is that the galactic police showcased in Sachie-chan Go! and Jiya, the two one-shots that Toriyama did with Katsura, are also part of the same organization. I'm assuming that's just a coincidence as of now, since Toriyama did the stories for those but not the art, but you never know.
The Galactic Patrol in both works has the same name, and a similar logo; Galactic Patrolmen in each also superficially resemble Jaco, but are revealed in Jiya to be robotic "suits" used by bug-sized aliens. (Jiya's reaction to sampling Earth water in particular takes on a special meaning after reading Jaco chapter +1.) Toriyama only mentions the connection in terms of the logo in his Q&A, though.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:06 pm

]
That's said in Daizenshuu 7, under the entry for "universe" in the glossary at the start of the book. Actually, there it talks about "universe police/space police", which I guess should be operating on a wider scale than a Galactic Patrol...but it's probably all the same thing.

The extra background info for Tullece's henchman Amond says that he was formally a space criminal who was arrested by the space police and imprisoned in a jail on Planet Nutz, at which point Tullece attacked the planet and the two joined forces. And in Episode of Bardock, Chilled and co (pointlessly) impersonate space policemen.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:07 pm

SaiyaJedi wrote:
Gyt Kaliba wrote:I'm still wondering how likely or unlikely it is that the galactic police showcased in Sachie-chan Go! and Jiya, the two one-shots that Toriyama did with Katsura, are also part of the same organization. I'm assuming that's just a coincidence as of now, since Toriyama did the stories for those but not the art, but you never know.
The Galactic Patrol in both works has the same name, and a similar logo; Galactic Patrolmen in each also superficially resemble Jaco, but are revealed in Jiya to be robotic "suits" used by bug-sized aliens. (Jiya's reaction to sampling Earth water in particular takes on a special meaning after reading Jaco chapter +1.) Toriyama only mentions the connection in terms of the logo in his Q&A, though.
Oh wow, so there is a possibility they're connected, just maybe, then. Now that you mention it...I can kinda see the vague similarity between Jiya's suit and Jaco's appearance. Hmm...

I remember the gag with Jiya and Earth Water towards the end of Jiya, heh. I've been resisting reading through the Jaco summaries on the site until I could read the chapters myself (so that I only got the most bare-bones spoilers from the main Jaco thread), but I may have to jump in there now and see what this 'special' meaning is.
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:48 pm

Still it doesn't make much sense as to why Frieza didn't just wipe them out.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:56 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:Still it doesn't make much sense as to why Freeza didn't just wipe them out.
I'd imagine the 'looks the other way' means they completely stay out of Freeza's way so that doesn't happen. They don't bother him, he doesn't blow them up, everyone's happy.

...Well, everyone except the poor space citizens that the police are technically supposed to be saving. But hey, nothing's perfect.
Twitter

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:03 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:Still it doesn't make much sense as to why Freeza didn't just wipe them out.
Well, it's not as if Freeza controls the entirety of space, so presumably the space police are still around outside of Freeza's territory at least. And if they really pose no threat, then Freeza probably wouldn't bother to go through the extra effort needed to completely wipe them out. Or maybe Freeza and co. were in the process of systematically wiping them all out when Freeza decided to take his little trip to Namek. After all, even if the police are no match for Freeza and co., it might take quite a long time for them to be completely defeated, if there are lots of them and they're spread out all over the damn place, which presumably a space police force would have to be.

Actually, this seems somewhat similar to the situation with the Red Ribbon Army. We're told the the police and even "the army" (presumably the Royal Army that Piccolo and Cell later have so much fun with) were no match for the RR, yet by the time Goku got mixed up in things the police and army were both still around and the RR still hadn't taken over the world.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:29 am

I suppose, although Jaco's mission was to stop Goku from invading the Earth, which would mean he was directly opposing Frieza's forces.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Dolciano

Post by Dolciano » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:23 pm

I consider it canon, although there are a couple things that doesn't let it mesh too well, I can let it slide.

Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakarot88 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:06 pm

I consider it canon along with every other add on Toriyama throws in, it may not "make sense" but that's dragon ball for you :thumbup:
"You might think you know everything there is to know about me, but really, you're not even CLOSE."

"Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." ~ Sir Winston Chruchill / Dragon Ball Z in a nutshell

How I enjoy the anime:

Sani007
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sani007 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:07 am

For me just Dragonball (kanzenban version) and Jaco The Galactic Patrolman are the canon.
But I really like everything else from Dragon World. (Even I was happy for Dragonball SD Special Chapter.)

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:56 pm

Sure, if we find out where the heck Tights has been all these years. Never visits her sister or her sister's husband baby daddy or her nephew. She's a terrible auntie.
I guess I should also put out a spoiler:

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:00 am

Maybe she died

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:40 am

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:57 am

Marco Polo wrote:
...Yeah, that seems pretty legit for Bulma, actually. :P
Twitter

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:46 pm

Chuquita wrote:The only thing it would change for me is it'd make Goku's inevitable fall and resulting head injury a little more tragic as the Goku in Jaco appears to be a small child already instead of a baby and even though injuries are sad no matter what the age, it feels more potent seeing a small child lose his memories than a baby that due to being a baby wouldn't be old enough to either really form memories or to understand (as far as I know. I'm not a doctor. Anyone with greater medical knowledge, I'd appreciate additional insight).
A baby growing up in a household without being nurtured and loved will not usually develop as well as a baby who is.
Seriously neglected children have been shown to actually regress in development, even though they are initially in a perfect environment.
A baby will not form memories as far as I know, but they can be affected by traumas.
Babies that are not tended for, as an example, may have later in life troubles with not being able to be potty-trained at the right time and develop naturally in skills.
Although there is not much to point at scientifically (since babies can't talk), it is shown that even in early life you can be negatively affected by traumas (even though you don't remember them).
The brain is a mysterious organ.