Cell's Zenkai Boost

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

thatdbzguy
Banned

Cell's Zenkai Boost

Post by thatdbzguy » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:14 pm

Something I've been thinking about involving Cell's zenkai boost after his self-destruction has been gnawing at me lately.

In the Freeza saga, Vegeta states that zenkais don't work if the damage is self-inflicted. However, even though Cell intentionally blew himself up, he still gets a Zenkai boost. Do you think it might have something to do with how Gero designed Cell or something?
Khalid Shahin wrote:
Dragon Soul Funimation Lyrics wrote:Nothing ever dies; we will rise again!
Yeah, pretty much sums the show up right there.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Re: Cell's Zenkai Boost

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:33 pm

Goku got self-inflicted zenkais on the way to Namek, so Vegeta was wrong.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakarot88 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:37 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:Goku got self-inflicted zenkais on the way to Namek, so Vegeta was wrong.
I've always rationalized that in 2 ways. Either:

(1) Intent matters and that's what Vegeta was getting at. Goku knew that the self inflicted wounds were helping but he was not trying to scam the system he was putting in the work. It's like people who use steroids still have to put in the work and Vegeta's method seemed less like work than a cheap one up. Hence, why when Cell says he did not think he would return he also lacked intent and that is why he also got the Zenkai boost.

(2) Toriyama's statement with Vegeta was a retcon so that the series did not dissolve into nearly kill yourself eat a senzu and win so the Cell thing is just some good ole deus ex machina
"You might think you know everything there is to know about me, but really, you're not even CLOSE."

"Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." ~ Sir Winston Chruchill / Dragon Ball Z in a nutshell

How I enjoy the anime:

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:56 pm

I always thought that Vegeta just couldn't make a hole on his chest on his own.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:00 pm

Nothing about Cell's zenkai regeneration makes any sense at all to begin with.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:14 pm

I don't recall Vegeta saying self inflicted wounds don't cause Zenkai's. Honestly though, even if Vegeta did say that, how would your body be able to tell anyway?
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:26 pm

Cursed Lemon wrote:Nothing about Cell... makes any sense at all to begin with.
FTFY.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:56 am

Continuity error...or maybe since he hasn't used Zenkai's before he could use them....IDK.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:59 pm

TheMightyOzaru wrote:I don't recall Vegeta saying self inflicted wounds don't cause Zenkai's. Honestly though, even if Vegeta did say that, how would your body be able to tell anyway?
Chapter: 303 (DBZ 109), P11.1-2
Vegeta: “When we Saiyans revive from the brink of death, our strength increases! So go ahead and half-kill me! There’s no effect if I try to kill myself! You do it! Quickly! Freeza is about to perform his final transformation!”
Kuririn: “I-I could half-kill you with my power…”
Vegeta: “Don’t worry…I’ll lower my battle power to its limit…! It’s fortunate that the Namekian brat who can instantly heal people is here…”
The way that's worded definitely does suggest that he wouldn't be able to attain one if the injury was self-inflicted.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:06 pm

That's a plot hole that doesn't make sense considering that Goku forced a handful of zenkais on himself on his way to Namek with self inflicted Kamehamehas and whatnot.

Vegeta should have said that it wouldn't be nearly as effective as another person hurting him (simply because its much easier to have someone else hurt us than it is to hurt ourselves).

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:25 pm

I think Vegeta's implying he won't be able to beat Freeza if the wound was self inflicted. I mean Goku didn't gain a lot from the self inflicted Zenkais.
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:34 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:
FTFY.
Much appreciated. ;)
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:28 pm

About Vegeta's statement; it could be as easy as him being mistaken about the mechanisms of a near death power up.
I don't see any reason for Vegeta to have hurt himself before to achieve a near death power up before the Namek arc, and neither did he have any idea that Goku had blasted himself on his way to Namek.
Also, to be fair, I don't think that there has ever been a Saiya-Jin as crazy as Goku to harm himself to become stronger (outside of training).
Keeping with Vegeta being misinformed, Cell's near death power up makes sense.

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:32 pm

Maybe Freeza lied to Vegeta :lol: