What if Vegeta never existed?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

What if Vegeta never existed?

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:54 am

So imagine a world that Vegeta did not exist and how would Akira Toriyama write Dragon Ball without Vegeta? Would Nappa become a good guy? Who would warn Goku about the Cyborgs? Would Piccolo turn Majin instead and who would Goku fuse with in the Buu saga? To me, things would be very different and interesting if AT wrote DBZ without Vegeta.

I think Nappa would still go to Earth since he would use the Dragon Balls to wish back Radditz and everyone would die a lot faster. Kuririn would die since he only survived due to the three hour time wait and that happen because Vegeta wanted to wait. Without Vegeta, Nappa would keep fighting non-stop. Gohan could be the only one that lives and could hold off Nappa until Goku shows up. Goku would likely let Nappa live and leave Earth. Nappa might have team up with Goku and Gohan on Namek to get the Dragon Balls. Unlike Vegeta, he was a total idiot and would be stupid enough to go straight to Frieza to grab the Dragon Balls. Either Zarbon or Freeza would have killed him. I think Goku would have to team up with Nail to stop Zarbon and The Ginyu Force. I think the rest of the Freeza saga may have played the same.

I think AT could have Gohan go back in time to warn Goku about #17 and #18. Unlike Trunks, I doubt he would have killed Freeza and King Cold since he was smart enough not to screw around with the timeline. Without Vegeta, Goku may died from #19 and Gohan could become angry enough to kill #19 and Gero.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

TheDevilsCorpse

Re: What if Vegeta never existed?

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:27 am

Toriyama says he likes to introduce new characters in pairs, that way you can get information without narration. So, if Vegeta didn't exist, then there would have been some other Saiyan that would have come to Earth with Nappa, and (s)he would just serve as a replacement for everything.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:30 am

Nappa comes to wish resurrect Raditz, brings Raditz back, go to the bar and get a drunk and discuss good times.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:02 am

Actually, having Raditz and Nappa visit together would be a viable option. In that case either both of them are killed, or Raditz survives and joins the gang (being Goku's brother and all).
IMO for the Freeza arc to work as it did there is a need for a Vegeta-esque character to play his own separate game alongside the heroes an eventually joining them as a sort of guide to Freeza's men and organisation. The latter is why I liked the Freeza arc, since we had several people with different ambitions racing towards one goal: the Dragonballs. Reminds me of some sort of Hunger Games for sure.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:16 pm

2 things:
Raditz and Nappa. Which makes Raditz into a good guy IF he doesn't die.
Or Goku's father and Nappa. That's right. Imagine Bardock appearing. Giving Goku more hate towards his Saiyan family. Seeing as he said Raditz isn't his Brother.

Both would have been decent ideas but Vegeta will always make things better.

superkakarrot2
Not-So-Newbie

Post by superkakarrot2 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:18 pm

I think that Yamcha would be a little bit more relevant. I kind of think that Vegeta replaced him because-

1. They both start off as villains
2. They both end up with Bulma
3. They both take the role of one of Goku's rivals

Yamcha is semi relevant in the Saiyan arc but slowly fades in to obscurity after Vegeta becomes more prominent. It doesn't help that in the Funi dub they both share a voice actor.

Well that is my crazy theory anyway...

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:22 pm

superkakarrot2 wrote:I think that Yamcha would be a little bit more relevant. I kind of think that Vegeta replaced him because-

1. They both start off as villains
2. They both end up with Bulma
3. They both take the role of one of Goku's rivals

Yamcha is semi relevant in the Saiyan arc but slowly fades in to obscurity after Vegeta becomes more prominent. It doesn't help that in the Funi dub they both share a voice actor.

Well that is my crazy theory anyway...
To be fair. Yamcha stop being important after the first Arc IMO. After that he was just bait for the main fighter of an arc. To show of their skills.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:24 pm

I don't think you get to be called relevant if you get killed by unnamed 'faceless' henchman fodder before the real fight even starts.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

superkakarrot2
Not-So-Newbie

Post by superkakarrot2 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:30 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:I don't think you get to be called relevant if you get killed by unnamed 'faceless' henchman fodder before the real fight even starts.
Lol I guess so! Just the Yamcha fan in me speaking. Well I did say "a little bit" and "semi-relevant". I wouldn't expect Yamcha to become planet strong or anything.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:44 pm

Vegeta didn't really change things on Vegeta. Yamcha would still be that good everyman with an actual job, where as Vegeta is still that spoiled brat crying "WHY I NO STRONG AS KAKROT!!!"
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

MediaFanGirl93
Beyond Newbie

Post by MediaFanGirl93 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:58 pm

I think a lot would change. There would be no Trunks first off, and half of the events in the show wouldn't have happened (No offense to Vegeta fans).

GsTvo
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GsTvo » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:10 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:So imagine a world that Vegeta did not exist and how would Akira Toriyama write Dragon Ball without Vegeta? Would Nappa become a good guy? Who would warn Goku about the Cyborgs? Would Piccolo turn Majin instead and who would Goku fuse with in the Buu saga? To me, things would be very different and interesting if AT wrote DBZ without Vegeta.
Nappa will die, No? He left Planet Vegeta because Vegeta's left it, so if Vegeta doesn't exit, maybe Nappa stayed and died with all the other saiyajins.

Maybe Radtiz come to Earth to find Goku and propose to join forces, but Goku refuses so he kills Piccolo and mentions the existence of Dragon Ball's, Goku fitght with Radtiz (maybe the exact "Vegeta vs Goku" battle), Goku prevents that Krillin kills him etc. And here is the point, maybe Radtiz will be the Vegeta of the story, I mean why not? but lets suppose that somehow he dies (like the Ginyu forces):

Maybe Yamcha and Bulma get back together and they have Trunks and Bra.

And yeah, maybe Piccolo will be the one that going under Babidi's control (that would be interesting).

But for me, maybe Dragon Ball will not be the same, its the Saiyajin Prince that we are talking about!!

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:00 am

MediaFanGirl93 wrote:I think a lot would change. There would be no Trunks first off, and half of the events in the show wouldn't have happened (No offense to Vegeta fans).
You have a Sailor Jupiter avatar, awesome, oh and I agree.

Friezacooler
Regular

Post by Friezacooler » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:26 pm

Raditz on Goku's side, only if Goku comitted to the task he was send to complete since birth lol. If this Vegeta didn't exist in this verse another Vegeta would have been send from an alternate verse with current nappa or indeed nappa with another Saiyan ( possibly named Vegeta).