What if there were no Power Levels?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FoolsGil
I Live Here

What if there were no Power Levels?

Post by FoolsGil » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:02 pm

What if there were no Power Levels? What if it all came to your fighting ability and whatnot-How would the series have changed? Could Freeza still have destroyed the Saiyans for example. What would the Saiyans be without their seemingly limitless power? Could DBZ even work without power levels?

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Re: What if there were no Power Levels?

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:06 pm

There would be no more childish debates that get threads constantly locked...okay there probably would still be...but not as much..
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:16 pm

Still based off of ki and power. It would be just fan made numbers from scale 1-500. Though I suspect that fand would create a system similar to power levels.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:18 pm

The general in-universe (Western) fandom would be a whole lot friendlier.

There would probably still be strength debates, but at least there would be no "the DAIZ NUMBRS ARE SUCK B/C MAH GAPS RULES" malarkey. Which would be a marked improvement.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:22 pm

Kaboom wrote:The general in-universe (Western) fandom would be a whole lot friendlier.

There would probably still be strength debates, but at least there would be no "the DAIZ NUMBRS ARE SUCK B/C MAH GAPS RULES" malarkey. Which would be a marked improvement.
Give this man an award....we have a winner.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:28 pm

The community would be far less full of numbnuts who care about arbitrary power levels. I wouldn't get cancer every time I accidentally click on the 'in-universe' section.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:49 pm

Well, power levels are only around in volumes 17-28. For 30 of the series' 42 volumes, power levels effectively don't exist. And on the anime side of things, they aren't mentioned in GT at all, and only turn up in 3 movies and 1 TV special.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:53 pm

Herms wrote:Well, power levels are only around in volumes 17-28. For 30 of the series' 42 volumes, power levels effectively don't exist. And on the anime side of things, they aren't mentioned in GT at all, and only turn up in 3 movies and 1 TV special.
Well, Volume 40 (I think) mentions Kiris, which are more or less the same concept. And doesn't Tarble use his scouter in the JSAT?
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:51 pm

I probably wouldn't have found Kanzenshuu.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:57 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:There would be no more childish debates that get threads constantly locked...okay there probably would still be...but not as much..
This
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:03 pm

Well, we would have lost a really interesting concept, and the Saiyan-Freeza arcs would have a void where battle powers were, which would have made a lot of moments lose their charm. We'd still have strength debates and discussions, but there'd be no discussion to be had about battle powers and their mechanics, no fun in creating one's own battle power list. That'd be a shame. Also, no scouters, which is a huge shame because scouters are awesome. Then we wouldn't have the parodies and references to battle powers and scouters in other media.

But on the plus side, we wouldn't have the extreme fans who put too much stock in battle powers, and we also wouldn't have the equally-as-bad fans who go to the opposite extreme and can't shut up about how little they care for power levels and how other people shouldn't talk about them. Eh, while it'd be nice, I don't think it makes up for the cons of losing battle powers.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:08 pm

You know what might have fixed the problems? If there were a lot MORE power level numbers in the original manga, all of which obviously followed no observable strict consistency or anything close to it. Power levels are already wildly inconsistent, but having more of them laid out as such in the original work would have made the point more clear.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:26 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:I probably wouldn't have found Kanzenshuu.
Pretty much this.

ThePrinceOfSaiyans
Beyond Newbie

Post by ThePrinceOfSaiyans » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:31 pm

If there were no power levels, Christopher Sabat would be a happier man and not have said "It's over 9000" the amount equivalent to the amount of meals Goku can eat in a year. :lol:

But no, really. There would be a lot less petty arguments as said already.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:33 pm

Kaboom wrote:You know what might have fixed the problems? If there were a lot MORE power level numbers in the original manga, all of which obviously followed no observable strict consistency or anything close to it.
That's pretty much Kinnikuman in a nutshell.
Saiga wrote:Then we wouldn't have the parodies and references to battle powers and scouters in other media.
But there might be disadvantages too.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

ThePrinceOfSaiyans
Beyond Newbie

Post by ThePrinceOfSaiyans » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:38 pm

Zombie wrote:
Pretty much this.
Very true, didn't even think of this.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:49 pm

ThePrinceOfSaiyans wrote:
Zombie wrote:
Pretty much this.
Very true, didn't even think of this.
I actually would be nowhere near as interested in the series as I am in general really. I only came here originally to post an old battle power list I made when I was still into this series; I don't know why, but after I became aware that online power level discussion was a thing I felt the need to post my old one. Came for that, stayed for the community and conversations. If I didn't come here, I probably wouldn't even have read the manga- well technically I still haven't, but I've read most/some as opposed to none- and wouldn't be discussing the series today.

That's just its effect on me though. In terms of effect on a larger scale:
Well, we would have lost a really interesting concept, and the Saiyan-Freeza arcs would have a void where battle powers were, which would have made a lot of moments lose their charm. We'd still have strength debates and discussions, but there'd be no discussion to be had about battle powers and their mechanics, no fun in creating one's own battle power list. That'd be a shame. Also, no scouters, which is a huge shame because scouters are awesome. Then we wouldn't have the parodies and references to battle powers and scouters in other media.

But on the plus side, we wouldn't have the extreme fans who put too much stock in battle powers, and we also wouldn't have the equally-as-bad fans who go to the opposite extreme and can't shut up about how little they care for power levels and how other people shouldn't talk about them. Eh, while it'd be nice, I don't think it makes up for the cons of losing battle powers.
I think this is pretty accurate.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:08 pm

Half of the In-Universe thread wouldn't exist.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

Strife1
Beyond Newbie

Post by Strife1 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:14 am

In universe - characters would underestimate characters A LOT less.
Out of universe - we wouldn't have a lot of members, but we'd have much less hostility towards one another.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:35 am

Eh. They provided some good punch to a few moments, but, overall, I don't their absence would affect the story all that much, and the community would be better off without them. I don't have anything against them, and they were an interesting addition, but they're really not that important. They're a spice in the dish but not even a really important spice like salt.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2