Movie 8 Broli Is Overrated

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Re: Movie 8 Broli Is Overrated

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:53 pm

And I'll just quote what the mod who locked that topic said.
I've seen this before and it was junked last time before I got a chance to read a 1/4 of it. This is the same argument that isn't going to go anywhere so I'm locking it. Please don't make another one either. We have plenty of these around already anyway.
Wow. It's almost like he's talking about all the posts you make here, isn't it?
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:09 pm

Kakashi wrote:He also wanted to use fusion with Ultimate Gohan.
No, he wanted to try Fusion with Gohan in general. The movies show that Gohan can power-up into Ultimate like he does with Super Saiyan, and the manga hints this.
Kakashi wrote:The kids attacked him straightly. Dunno what you are talking about
The kids only managed this once, and the anime has many times weaker fighters managing something against much stronger fighters: Base Goku, Trunks, and Vegeta could fight with #13, #14, and #15 respectively, while they only managed to defeat them as Super Saiyans without much ease, base Goku could fight with Paikuhan, base Goku could fight with SS Broli, who could tank hits from SS Vegeta, etc, etc.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:02 pm

Zantetsuken wrote:For me, M8 Broli is beyond SSJ, almost SSJ2 level making him stronger than Normal Cell.
M10 Broli is obviously above a SSJ2 judging by the way he easily trashes Gohan.

I just wish the expanded on him a bit more...
This is based on two tenets:

1) Gohan isn't THAT much weaker in M10 than in the Cell games
2) Broly's zenkai is fairly big

Both of which I don't agree with.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

Kakashi
Banned

Post by Kakashi » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:10 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
I've seen this before and it was junked last time before I got a chance to read a 1/4 of it. This is the same argument that isn't going to go anywhere so I'm locking it. Please don't make another one either. We have plenty of these around already anyway.
That was not me posting it and the mod talked about the amount of times this post was made there. If someone posts something useful but some idiot denies it so it must be wrong? You didn't even bother checking it. Lol bias at its finest

Kakashi
Banned

Post by Kakashi » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:13 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
Kakashi wrote:He also wanted to use fusion with Ultimate Gohan.
No, he wanted to try Fusion with Gohan in general. The movies show that Gohan can power-up into Ultimate like he does with Super Saiyan, and the manga hints this.
Kakashi wrote:The kids attacked him straightly. Dunno what you are talking about
The kids only managed this once, and the anime has many times weaker fighters managing something against much stronger fighters: Base Goku, Trunks, and Vegeta could fight with #13, #14, and #15 respectively, while they only managed to defeat them as Super Saiyans without much ease, base Goku could fight with Paikuhan, base Goku could fight with SS Broli, who could tank hits from SS Vegeta, etc, etc.
You just mentioned various drama effects. That's not the same thing. Ultimate Gohan doesn't have abase state and you mentioned non canon

Izanagi
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Izanagi » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:41 pm

Broly in general is overrated.

SSJ4_Zankuto
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJ4_Zankuto » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:33 pm

Movie 8 Broly being compared to Perfect Cell (suppressed, or powered up vs goku) isn't overrated, but compared to Super Saiyan 2 Gohan is.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:33 pm

Kakashi wrote:You just mentioned various drama effects. That's not the same thing.
... What?
Kakashi wrote:Ultimate Gohan doesn't have abase state and you mentioned non canon
Manga shows that it does have a base state, with Daizenshuu, M13, and BoG supporting this.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:16 pm

Kakashi wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:
That was not me posting it and the mod talked about the amount of times this post was made there. If someone posts something useful but some idiot denies it so it must be wrong? You didn't even bother checking it. Lol bias at its finest
I don't care if you're the guy who posted it or not. That's beside the point. The point is that there, just as it is here, there are people who don't agree with your viewpoint. Get that through your head. I'm not saying your wrong, and I never have, only that it is not a fact. Honestly, it's not that hard of a concept to grasp.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:08 am

I'm not sure one to involve myself with battle power debates, but I've always just figured that Broly was above SSJ1 and below SSJ2. He does beat Gohan in Movie 10, but I've always been under the belief that was because Gohan was rusty from lack of training instead of being weaker.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

flashback0180
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by flashback0180 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:51 am

I agree. He is overrated. At best he's stronger than Kibito Kai.

His best accomplishment to date is blowing (up?) a planet with a normal ki attack. In DBZ it's not that impressive.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:43 am

I'd be impressed by anyone capable of blowing a planet. For one, how do you even find the special area, and two, how do you even pull it off? Unless planets are the polar opposites of tapirs, so it's proportionally tiny.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:03 pm

The opening of the movie actually implies the destruction of stars as well (presuambly this was when his powers were less restrained?). A similar scene occurs in the anime with Pure Buu.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Saitou Hajime
Beyond Newbie

Post by Saitou Hajime » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:04 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote: Manga shows that it does have a base state, with Daizenshuu, M13, and BoG supporting this.
I'm not sure about the Daizenshuu, but the manga/anime and BoG only shows him doing a regular power-up, while movie 13 portrays it like a literal transformation not unlike when Old Kai first told instructed him to power up like a SSJ.

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:20 pm

I personally go with the following.

Movie 8 Broly < SSJ2 Gohan, Perfect Cell, Super Perfect Cell.

Movie 10 Broly < SSJ2 Goku, SSJ2 Vegeta.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:22 pm

KentalSSJ6 wrote:I personally go with the following.

Seems fair enough. Though SSJ2 Vegeta is weaker than SSj2 Kid Gohan. Well I think that because of how everyone mention how Gohan as a kid was the shit in DBZ. Also because Piccolo could't tell the differnece between Majin Vegeta and Kid Gohan. Which means the gap can't be huge.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:23 pm

Ditto. Neither of them have very impressive feats:

Movie 8 Broly beat up Grade II Trunks and Vegeta (something a Cell Jr could do with ease), as well as versions of Goku and Gohan who were absolutely scared shitless by Broly's ability to do so (even though Gohan should be able to do the same at half power).

Movie 10 Broly beat up SS2 teen Gohan, but wasn't able to prevent Gohan from putting up a bit of a fight. SPC easily could have done the same. And in the end, he was killed by the Kamehameha of two Super Saiyans/one Super Saiyan and one Super Saiyan 2 while being taunted by a ghost.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:27 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:

Seems fair enough. Though SSJ2 Vegeta is weaker than SSj2 Kid Gohan. Well I think that because of how everyone mention how Gohan as a kid was the shit in DBZ. Also because Piccolo could't tell the differnece between Majin Vegeta and Kid Gohan. Which means the gap can't be huge.
Except when Majin Vegeta witnessed Goku go SSJ2, he clearly states Goku's SSJ2 surpassed Cell Saga Gohan's SSJ2 and Vegeta fought evenly with Goku the entire time.

SSJ2 Vegeta also put up a hell of a fight against Kid Buu so Goku could charge the Spirit Bomb.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:30 pm

No he didn't... Pure Buu just beat him up effortlessly and had the time of his life doing so.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:32 pm

KentalSSJ6 wrote:
TheGmGoken wrote:

Except when Majin Vegeta witnessed Goku go SSJ2, he clearly states Goku's SSJ2 surpassed Cell Saga Gohan's SSJ2 and Vegeta fought evenly with Goku the entire time.

SSJ2 Vegeta also put up a hell of a fight against Kid Buu so Goku could charge the Spirit Bomb.
I meant regular Vegeta not Majin Vegeta. Aka Pre Majin Vegeta I have weaker than SSJ2 Kid Gohan. SSj2 Vegeta got his ASS KICKED by Pure Boo in the manga. He didn't even land at hit. Vegeta is just durable.