Jinzoningen kanji question

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jord
Advanced Regular

Jinzoningen kanji question

Post by Jord » Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:13 pm

After reading the VegettoEX update and looking at the Kanji a question popped up. POP!

Why do the Nin and Jin parts have the same Kanji and how can you read the difference when you're reading a text with that Kanji?
Jord doesn't have a avatar because the combination of Jord and a equally cool avatar would cause the universe to implode.

DBW
Regular

Post by DBW » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:22 pm

"Jin" and "nin" are alternate readings for the kanji, which is read "hito" on it's own. When the kanji is put with other kanji, it forms compounds, and thus alternate words. So how do you know when to use each form? Know the language! The kanji 「人造」 are read "jinzou" and mean "artificial". It's just something you grow to learn.

Lots of kanji compounds are pretty logical though, so if you know the individual kanji, and you know the word, a lot of the time the reading will just be obvious. ie. Flower (hana) + Fire (hi) = Fireworks (hanabi), etc.
The complete DragonBall archive...Believe.
www.kanzentai.com

Daimao
Mr. Subtitles

Post by Daimao » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:16 pm

Exactly. Consider the following English sentences:

I read the newspaper every day.
I read the newspaper yesterday.

Why is the word "read" pronounced differently in those two sentences? It's just how the language is, so you have to pick up on that.

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:22 pm

Well, the first sentence could be read like "I read (red) the newspaper every day," if you think of it as referring to a specific time, like "During the summer, I read the newspaper every day." :lol:

Or I'm wrong.

And Dragon Ball has those small katakana and/or hiragana or whatnot next to the Kanji anyway, so that's how I tell the difference. 8)
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:10 am

*PINHEAD* wrote:Well, the first sentence could be read like "I read (red) the newspaper every day," if you think of it as referring to a specific time, like "During the summer, I read the newspaper every day." :lol:
Ah, but look how you had to edit the sentence to make that read in the past tense. :wink:
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.