The Z-Senshi barely ever see each other

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperSaiyanOzaru

The Z-Senshi barely ever see each other

Post by SuperSaiyanOzaru » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:43 am

You know what I just realized? After the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai, the very next time that Tenshinhan, Chaotzu, or Yamcha ever see Goku is when he gets back from Planet Namek. They don't see him during the five years between DB and DBZ, they don't see him after he dies for obvious reasons, and they all end up dying before he returns from the Other World. Then they get wished back and Goku's in outer space for a year and a half (or however long it's supposed to be). Yeah, Kaiosama lets them communicate with Goku when he's flying to Planet Namek, but as for seeing him in the flesh, they don't do that until Trunks arrives.

Then they don't see him during the three years that they're all training for the androids, or at least Tenshinhan and Chaotzu don't. Maybe Yamcha visited the Son family, I don't know. They do see each other during the android and Cell arcs, but that whole thing is actually about half a month, maybe. And then Goku dies again, and Tenshinhan tells the others that they're probably never going to see him and Chaotzu again, and then they fly off. When Goku comes back for a day in the Buu Saga, Tenshinhan stops a ki blast for him, and that's it. Just a brief moment and then Tenshinhan's gone again.

Kuririn, Bulma, and Kamesennin never see the Son family during the five year interval between DB and DBZ, either. That's kind of weird, don't you think? They all knew where he and Chi Chi lived; they couldn't have dropped in? Kuririn's supposed to be Goku's best friend, after all. And why did Goku wait until Gohan was five before introducing him to everyone? I guess Chi Chi wouldn't have let him take an infant or toddler Gohan all the way to Kamesennin's house, and its not until Gohan is four that Goku finally convinces Chi Chi to let him go, so that's the first time any of the others get to meet Gohan. But then when Kuririn goes to tell Chi Chi and Ox King that Goku's dead, they apparently recognize him and know him pretty well, so I guess he has visited. So why didn't he know about Gohan?

Bulma never visits Kuririn and Kamesennin, either. The beginning of DBZ is the first time she's seen them since the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai. I guess that's understandable since Kamesennin is such a pervert, but Tenshinhan and Yamcha never visited them, either. And none of them ever visited Bulma at Capsule Corp. Kinda rude, if you ask me.

I guess I just find it weird that none of these characters ever visit each other. For some reason I was under the impression that they were like this big gang that always got together every now and then, but they go years and years without seeing each other. I can understand why Tenshinhan and Chaotzu would be the odd ones out since they're always training in the wilderness, but the Goku, Bulma, Kuririn, Yamcha, and Kamesennin should've gotten together more, I would think.

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Re: The Z-Senshi barely ever see each other

Post by Blade » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:50 am

SuperSaiyanOzaru wrote:You know what I just realized? After the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai, the very next time that Tenshinhan, Chaotzu, or Yamcha ever see Goku is when he gets back from Planet Namek. They don't see him during the five years between DB and DBZ, they don't see him after he dies for obvious reasons, and they all end up dying before he returns from the Other World. Then they get wished back and Goku's in outer space for a year and a half (or however long it's supposed to be). Yeah, Kaiosama lets them communicate with Goku when he's flying to Planet Namek, but as for seeing him in the flesh, they don't do that until Trunks arrives.

Then they don't see him during the three years that they're all training for the androids, or at least Tenshinhan and Chaotzu don't. Maybe Yamcha visited the Son family, I don't know. They do see each other during the android and Cell arcs, but that whole thing is actually about half a month, maybe. And then Goku dies again, and Tenshinhan tells the others that they're probably never going to see him and Chaotzu again, and then they fly off. When Goku comes back for a day in the Buu Saga, Tenshinhan stops a ki blast for him, and that's it. Just a brief moment and then Tenshinhan's gone again.

Kuririn, Bulma, and Kamesennin never see the Son family during the five year interval between DB and DBZ, either. That's kind of weird, don't you think? They all knew where he and Chi Chi lived; they couldn't have dropped in? Kuririn's supposed to be Goku's best friend, after all. And why did Goku wait until Gohan was five before introducing him to everyone? I guess Chi Chi wouldn't have let him take an infant or toddler Gohan all the way to Kamesennin's house, and its not until Gohan is four that Goku finally convinces Chi Chi to let him go, so that's the first time any of the others get to meet Gohan. But then when Kuririn goes to tell Chi Chi and Ox King that Goku's dead, they apparently recognize him and know him pretty well, so I guess he has visited. So why didn't he know about Gohan?

Bulma never visits Kuririn and Kamesennin, either. The beginning of DBZ is the first time she's seen them since the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai. I guess that's understandable since Kamesennin is such a pervert, but Tenshinhan and Yamcha never visited them, either. And none of them ever visited Bulma at Capsule Corp. Kinda rude, if you ask me.

I guess I just find it weird that none of these characters ever visit each other. For some reason I was under the impression that they were like this big gang that always got together every now and then, but they go years and years without seeing each other. I can understand why Tenshinhan and Chaotzu would be the odd ones out since they're always training in the wilderness, but the Goku, Bulma, Kuririn, Yamcha, and Kamesennin should've gotten together more, I would think.
This is really one of my big pet-peeves about the series, that it seems like sometimes the only plot device that either Toriyama or the writers have for bringing the whole cast of characters together is some kind of a party.

Given that the two latest entries into the franchise, the JSAT special and Battle of Gods, follow the same formula - If I were a betting man I'd say we can probably expect the same again in the next (non-spin off) extension of the franchise.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Re: The Z-Senshi barely ever see each other

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:56 pm

I've thought about this as well before. Tenshinhan and Chaozu, as far as the manga is concerned, have barely spent any time with Goku in all the years they've know him. Not even a week's' time. Some friends. :)
君と再会ったとき 子供のころ大切に想っていた景色を思い出したんだ
僕と踊ってくれないか 光と影の Winding Road いまでも彼に夢中なの?