Does ki correlate to skill?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mAcChaos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Does ki correlate to skill?

Post by mAcChaos » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:57 pm

Normally we think that in DBZ, power trumps skill. But where do they get their power? From training their skills. I wonder if the person's ki is supposed to be a general representation of their overall skills?

Think about all the powerful opponents they face later. Freeza used to be the poster child for, "born with huge strength, no talent," but after reading threads here for a while it was made clear that he definitely knows a lot.

So someone having an overwhelming ki isn't so much about pure power as it is them being so well honed in their training that they can run circles around you.
[i]"I have yet to show you, young warrior, what I'm truly capable of."[/i] - Cell

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Does ki correlate to skill?

Post by B » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:42 pm

Uub says hi.

It's difficult to say. Is Vegeta actually a better fighter than Tenshinhan, or was he lucky enough to be born as a super-person? The fights really aren't staged that way. Characters like Freeza, Buu, et al are as powerful as they are because they just are.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:50 pm

Goten and Trunks.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:56 pm

Super Saiyan doesn't make you 50x more skilled. I can't really see someone transforming and suddenly learning how to use their opponents' weight against them or anything.

Also, Raditz, Dodoria etc. Worse ki control skills than the humans but they're stronger than them.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:26 pm

If you have more skill you can learn to gather more ki. But it doesn't necessarily correlate.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

SilverArmada
Beyond Newbie

Post by SilverArmada » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:53 pm

Doesn't the series establish that it's not skill that causes someone to increase their ki, but physical stress on the body? The biggest gains are made with weights or extra gravity aka training the body's physical strength and endurance. With more ki you can move faster and hit harder but it doesn't mean that technically your moves are sound. I keep thinking there was something about this with Vegeta and Future Trunks in the RoSaT but I can't recall for sure.
Call me Silvia (can't change username, darn!) <3
FF.net .:. AO3.org .:. Nightshade Avenue (writing LJ)

GarrettCRW
Beyond Newbie

Post by GarrettCRW » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:21 pm

I'd say no, since Ginyu in Goku's body was not able to fight as well as some vastly underpowered fighters (Gohan, Krillin, and even Goku in Ginyu's body to an extent).

Strife1
Beyond Newbie

Post by Strife1 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:39 pm

SilverArmada wrote:Doesn't the series establish that it's not skill that causes someone to increase their ki, but physical stress on the body? The biggest gains are made with weights or extra gravity aka training the body's physical strength and endurance. With more ki you can move faster and hit harder but it doesn't mean that technically your moves are sound. I keep thinking there was something about this with Vegeta and Future Trunks in the RoSaT but I can't recall for sure.
I agree with this. Roshi doesn't teach the boys how to fight at all, just strengthens their bodies and senses.

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:32 pm

Going to have to say that Ki can correlate with skill but overall there are just folks with higher Ki levels and with low skill levels. Someone in this thread pointed out Uub and I think that's a great illustration for your question.
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:03 pm

I think that bringing your ki out to its limit in a fight is a skill in and of itself, but that's not really the same thing as fighting skill. It's more like how some characters aren't good at bringing their power out at will (e.g. Gohan, Uub), or the idea that you could get rusty and lose the ability to bring your power out properly from lack of practice.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!