Puns

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:52 pm

Mike D wrote:What about Arale and Dr. Frapp?
"arare" (Arale) is a rice-cracker, and "norimaki" means "wrapped in seaweed".

A "frappe" is like a milkshake (or simply IS a milkshake). There's also something specific called a "Greek Frappe".
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Daimao
Mr. Subtitles

Post by Daimao » Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:14 am

Eclipse wrote:Umm....what about those two filler characters, Mr.Satan's proteges, that appear in the Cell Games arc. I think their' names were Piroski and Kironi (Something like that). Is that pun related?
Piroshki and Caroni.

And Angela played the angel to Videl's devil.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:31 am

Daimao wrote:
Eclipse wrote:Umm....what about those two filler characters, Mr.Satan's proteges, that appear in the Cell Games arc. I think their' names were Piroski and Kironi (Something like that). Is that pun related?
Piroshki and Caroni.

And Angela played the angel to Videl's devil.
And Mr. Subtitles saves the day. :P

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:22 am

I feel like an idiot, but I didn't realize he was Steven J. Simmons until like...2 days ago, and I've been unable to get over the fact I'm active on a message board that one of my favorite people is also active on.

...but that aside, I think Toei covered all the puns pretty dang well, right there wtih Toriyama-Sensei.

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:21 am

Dayspring wrote:
*PINHEAD* wrote:I guess the characters who were taken straight out of Journey to the West, like Son Goku or Gyuu Mao.
Actually they'd be puns on Journey to the West. :P

I guess...but still, it wouldn't be a pun because a pun is a play on words, not just copying a name.
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:03 pm

*PINHEAD* wrote:
Dayspring wrote:
*PINHEAD* wrote:I guess the characters who were taken straight out of Journey to the West, like Son Goku or Gyuu Mao.
Actually they'd be puns on Journey to the West. :P

I guess...but still, it wouldn't be a pun because a pun is a play on words, not just copying a name.
True, but Toriyama uses naming people after stuff as a means of making a pun. Case in point: Bulma and her entire family.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Eclipse
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Eclipse » Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:11 pm

...but that aside, I think Toei covered all the puns pretty dang well, right there wtih Toriyama-Sensei.
So far, the only characters I've found without puns are Gotenks, Vegetto, and Gogeta. But they're fusions, so it's easy to excuse those...But there should be more....

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:42 pm

Eclipse wrote:
So far, the only characters I've found without puns are Gotenks, Vegetto, and Gogeta. But they're fusions, so it's easy to excuse those...But there should be more....
Even then, Gotenks still has Goten in full, and Vegetto is still close enough to Vegeta for us to know it's a pun on Vegetables. And since I agree with you fully for Gogeta, I'm going to cheat and point out that not only was movie 12 non-canon, but he wasn't named until the Daizenshuu came out! :P
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by kenisu3000 » Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:29 pm

How about Piccolo's driving instructor? In the anime they don't mention her name but in Daizenshu 7 her name is revealed to be Shinshia, or in otherwords, Cynthia.
BGM forever! If only more people paid attention to it... well, I intend to change that.

Daimao
Mr. Subtitles

Post by Daimao » Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:40 am

kenisu3000 wrote:How about Piccolo's driving instructor? In the anime they don't mention her name but in Daizenshu 7 her name is revealed to be Shinshia, or in otherwords, Cynthia.
One likely pun there is on the word "Shinsha" (新車), meaning "new car."

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:25 am

Dayspring wrote:I'm going to cheat and point out that not only was movie 12 non-canon, but he wasn't named until the Daizenshuu came out! :P
His name is said quite a few times in the movie, mainly by Dai Kaiô and the others.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:49 am

Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:
Dayspring wrote:I'm going to cheat and point out that not only was movie 12 non-canon, but he wasn't named until the Daizenshuu came out! :P
His name is said quite a few times in the movie, mainly by Dai Kaiô and the others.
Was he? I haven't seen it in a while since somebody taped over my fansub of movies 12 and 13 a few months back.

...But it's still non-canon! Mwahaha! :twisted:

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:00 am

Dayspring wrote:...But it's still non-canon! Mwahaha! :twisted:
Indeed! Hahahahaha! :P

Anyway, some of the people I have been wondering about:
Ran Fan, Giran, Namu, Panpoot, Yajirobe, Zarbon, Dodoria, and Dr. Gero.

El_Diablo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by El_Diablo » Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:12 am

Magica wrote:Hachihyaku is a variant(?) of Happyaku, or Eight-hundred.
Not a correct variant, I don't think.

What has 800 got to do with that character anyway?
Where's the beef?

Daimao
Mr. Subtitles

Post by Daimao » Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:47 pm

El_Diablo wrote:
Magica wrote:Hachihyaku is a variant(?) of Happyaku, or Eight-hundred.
Not a correct variant, I don't think.

What has 800 got to do with that character anyway?
On the internet, nothing ever goes away.

Ash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ash » Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:09 pm

It's Hatchihyakku all right, and you're on the right track. It actually
comes from turning the numbers around to "Hyakuhachi" (108), which is the
number of the demon king of Ryozanpaku (Ryouzanpaku no Maou), or so I've
read.
To be precise: Ryozanpaku is the Japanese for Liang Shan Po, the place where most of the "Water Margin" [水滸傳, Shuihui Zhuan] took place.

"Water Margin", or as my translation calls it, "Outlaws of the Marsh", is one of the four Classical Chinese novels (Journey to the West is one of them too).

It tells about 108 (there it is ;)) rebels who are forced to form a banditgroup under the pressure of the corrupt government. The government sends countless armies to conquer them, but it never succeeds. All the 108 protagonist are destined for this, because they are in fact stars reïncarnated, 36 Heavenly Spirits & 72 Earthly Fiends.
Ryouzanpaku no Maou
is a rather 'harsh' naming for the rebels, but I guess they are demons in some sort, the 'demons' were released in the prologue of the story and reïncarnated in all the rebel chieftains...

The number 108 is seen in quite a lot of Japanese and Chinese fiction. I.e. Tonde Buurin's number of good deeds she has to perform, 108 "Spectres" in Hades' army (Saint Seiya), 108 sennin who were promoted to stars in Fengshen Yanyi and of course 108 characters to collect in the Suikoden game series. (But then again, that is based on the Water Margin, so that isn't really fair ^_~)
[i]"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth"[/i] - The Lamp of God, Ellery Queen

Daimao
Mr. Subtitles

Post by Daimao » Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:07 pm

Ah, so it's the number of the demon kings of Ryozanpaku, to correct the translation of what I read. I'll admit to being out of my element when it comes to "Outlaws of the Marsh."

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:24 pm

Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:
Dayspring wrote:...But it's still non-canon! Mwahaha! :twisted:
Indeed! Hahahahaha! :P

Anyway, some of the people I have been wondering about:
Gero = Gyro(sp?)
Dodoria = that REAAAALLY stinky fruit.

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:09 am

Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:Anyway, some of the people I have been wondering about:
Ranfan: An abbreviation of the phrase, "Ranjerii to fandeeshon," or "Lingerie and Foundation." With all the sexual overtones that implies.

Giran: The best I can come up with is a 1960s film entitled "Gamera vs. Demon-Beast Giron" (I believe the character was called "Guillon" in the English adaptation). It would make sense, after all, for the character to have kaijuu movie origins...

Namu: Comes form "Namu Amida Butsu" (roughly translated, "I commit myself to Amitabha Buddha"), which is spoken at Buddhist funerals in Japan. Namu has an archetypal "Indian" (subcontinental, not American) appearance, hence the Buddhism connection.

Phan Phut: A district in Bangkok, apparently, having something to do with the bridge of the same name within said district. His appearance and fighting style are influenced by Thai martial arts.

Yajirobei: A kind of spinning top toy. Toriyama apparently wanted a name that sounded Japanese (for Yajoribei's rounin-type character), so he picked that, perhaps because of the word's similarity to the given name "Yajirou."

Zarbon: Based on the "pomelo" fruit, which is "zabon" in Japanese.

Dodoria: The "durian" fruit, which is "dorian" in Japanese.

Dr. Gero: This one, I'm not really clear about. On the one hand, "gerogero" sounds either like the croak of a frog, or someone retching. A more intriguing connection is to the Greek root "geros," which means "old man," but I don't believe Toriyama's ever really said.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Daimao
Mr. Subtitles

Post by Daimao » Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:08 am

SaiyaJedi wrote: Giran: The best I can come up with is a 1960s film entitled "Gamera vs. Demon-Beast Giron" (I believe the character was called "Guillon" in the English adaptation). It would make sense, after all, for the character to have kaijuu movie origins...
The way I heard it is that "Giran!" is that characteristic screech that Godzilla makes. Don't know if that's the case or not, but I do know firsthand that shogakusei get a kick out of watching big lumbering white gaijin stomping around yelling "gee-raaawwnn!" :lol: