Dragonball Z Was Never Meant To Be Created?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

M-Vegeta
Beyond Newbie

Dragonball Z Was Never Meant To Be Created?

Post by M-Vegeta » Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:48 pm

Okay, am I getting wrong information from GamesFAQ. I come to you guys for guidence. :)

Here's what was said:

"Actually Dragonball Z was never meant to be created he wanted it to end at the end of Dragonball, but the fans wanted more and so did Toei."

I thought I read Dragonball Z was to end after the Furiza saga, but pressure from Toei and popularity was what conviced Akira Toriyama to continue the story.

A lil' help? :oops:

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:50 pm

Stop listening to GameFAQS! Toriyama said in an "Ask me anything corner" that he WASN'T going to stop after Piccolo!

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:29 pm

Uh, if memory serves me right, he wanted it to ORIGINALLY end with the collecting of the Dragon Balls and then having had the wish come true. Then we have this one, which can be found in book 2 of Dragon Ball:

Q - Hello. I really like Dragon Ball. I reall like you too. I have a question for you. Dr. Slump lasted for 18 volumes. How long will Dragon Ball continue for?

A - Hmmm...maybe for ten volumes or so. I think I'd like to make it short and sweet. But then again, there are lots of things I want to include in the story, so I don't really know.

So at that point, he wasn't even sure himself how long to keep going but wanted to also keep it short. With book 10, Goku's already at Uranai Baba's place, fighting her men.

Later on he wanted to have Goku stay dead after the fight with Freeza. Why else do you think he came up with an idea to have Goku escape in Ginyu's pod in the last minute when we saw that he was outside on Namek, yelling and then it exploding? :P

M-Vegeta
Beyond Newbie

Post by M-Vegeta » Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:33 pm

haha

Sorry, I know I shouldn't listen to GameFAQ, but I seriously didn't know if this was fact or fiction.

But did he EVER want to stop at some point, but pressure from Toei and fans made him continue?

I thought I read this somewhere.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:40 pm

Not just Toei, but his editors as well. o_o

M-Vegeta
Beyond Newbie

Post by M-Vegeta » Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:50 pm

So ... he wanted to stop at some point, we know that much ... :P

In my opinion DBZ should of lasted ... FOREVER and ever and ever ... and ever. Kind of like "TheNeverEnding Story"

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:18 pm

M-Vegeta please take this advice. Stop going to GameFaqs. And if you don't want to stop, at least don't believe anything about DB that people claim on there. Trust me, it will save you a lot of headaches. Just stick with EX's site, the links he gives there and these boards for accurate information. 8)
Last edited by Jerseymilk on Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:18 pm

Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:Stop listening to GameFAQS! Toriyama said in an "Ask me anything corner" that he WASN'T going to stop after Piccolo!
What he said. Seriously, listening to gamefaqs is like believing those tabolids they sell at the supermarket.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:16 pm

IIRC, the first planned ending was after the Pilaf Saga. It was just going to be a quick short little burst of fun. But then one of his friends said (jokingly I think) that he should keep it going, or challanged him to keep it going, something like that. So he did.

Not sure about where exactly that 10 volumes was... sounds like he may have thought of ending it after the 22nd Budokai, but didn't actually intened it to end there, hence why he made Piccolo. All I know is the 2nd intended ending was Namek, after Freeza. Then the 3rd was Cell, after his editors pushed him into going beyond just 19 and 20, anyway. XD
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:37 pm

Toriyama is king of the one-to-two-volume manga. Dragonball was originally supposed to be one of those (Pilaf saga only). It met with a much greater success than he anticipated, so when a friend suggested he keep going, he intended to do another saga dedicated to martial arts tournaments and movies like Jackie Chan's. Half-way in he fell in love with DB and kept going.

After the 23rd budoukai, Toriyama even has Kame-sennin point out to the reader that the story of Dragonball is far from over. It was Toriyama's intention to introduce the Saiyans and Freeza, and to end it with SSJ Goku. Then he wanted to quit after Cell, but as mentioned by Xyex, his editors pushed him to keep going.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:11 pm

I've also heard that Toriyama-sensei wanted to end Dragonball after volume 7. That'd leave us with Goku destroying the Red Ribbon Army and finding the rest of the dragonballs to wish back Bora.

:P (Useless emoticon out of boredom ^_^)
I really, really need to get back into the habit of posting.

Eclipse
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Eclipse » Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:25 am

Xyex wrote:IIRC, the first planned ending was after the Pilaf Saga. It was just going to be a quick short little burst of fun. But then one of his friends said (jokingly I think) that he should keep it going, or challanged him to keep it going, something like that. So he did.

Not sure about where exactly that 10 volumes was... sounds like he may have thought of ending it after the 22nd Budokai, but didn't actually intened it to end there, hence why he made Piccolo. All I know is the 2nd intended ending was Namek, after Freeza. Then the 3rd was Cell, after his editors pushed him into going beyond just 19 and 20, anyway. XD
10 Volumes, if I remember, ends it somewhere near the Red Ribbon arc.

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:18 am

Although it is correct that Dragon Ball Z wasn't intended to happen the way it did, Toriyama had no intention of ending it before the Saiyan story arc. I mean, he had already begun the whole ordeal with Radditz by the time the dudes in charge of the anime decided to name it Z (hence the reason Toriyama couldn't name it Z as well).

Or I'm completely wrong. But I'm pretty sure it's close to something close to accurate.
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:56 am

Could you imagine if there was no Saiyan saga? We wouldnt have any power level debates!

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:00 pm

Sun_Wukong wrote:Could you imagine if there was no Saiyan saga? We wouldnt have any power level debates!
:shock: ...Did you just pre-emptively insult people on a wholly different matter? O_o
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bejiita » Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:54 pm

First I heard he wanted to end it at the Cell saga, then later heard it was in fact the Freeza saga, funnily enough the earliest I've heard he had thoughts of packing it in was the Red Ribbon saga.

Who knows? You don't think he was letting people off with false information to make them think they were lucky for viewing material that wasn't originally supposed to made? A money making scheme.

I don't think he's that type of guy, but possible peer pressure from Toei could have just made him eventually snap and think 'Fuck it, I'm gonna cash in and not give two fucks'. Just from the anger of them pushing on and on.

Then again...who dislikes money? I don't blame him.

He has Vegeta's pride though, for not wanting to make sensless amounts of money by carrying Z on whilst destroying the DBZ story, which he didn't want. He'd rather write the last page of his story and let other people carry it on(GT) instead of carrying on writing. And drawing, for that matter.
My DB Fan manga:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19169 [The new version]
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1942]Chapter 1
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2685]Chapter 2
Photo's I've taken of the nearby neighbourhoods where I live in South London: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8306850@N08/

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:42 pm

[quote="*PINHEAD*"]I mean, he had already begun the whole ordeal with Radditz by the time the dudes in charge of the anime decided to name it Z (hence the reason Toriyama couldn't name it Z as well).quote]

Why couldn't he name the manga "Z"?

El_Diablo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by El_Diablo » Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:34 am

I'm pretty sure that Toriyama wanted to keep it "Dragon Ball" all the way through.
Where's the beef?

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:55 pm

desirecampbell wrote:
Why couldn't he name the manga "Z"?
He just never named it "Z". The entire manga in Japan has always been known as "Dragonball". It was nothing to do with Toei not allowing it. That's false.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:59 pm

desirecampbell wrote:Why couldn't he name the manga "Z"?
Because all 500-something chapters are the story of Son Goku growing up to become the world's savior, meeting friends, raising a family, and aging along the way.

Z was added for the anime to note the difference in shows. Especially with animators (note how the series' progress as time went by). Plus it was also to note that it would be the last Dragon Ball show..that is, until Toei messed that up and made GT. >_>;