Have you ever had a crush on a DB character as a kid?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Have you ever had a crush on a DB character as a kid?

Post by Jackal puFF » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:52 pm

There was something about Launch with blonde hair. She always attracted me.

Gutsxgoku
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gutsxgoku » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:04 pm

Sexy way:Teen/adult Chi Chi, #18, and maybe bulma sometimes....
I would marry Launch however for obvious reasons.
If I had to say a male character was attractive as a straight man, I would like to say Future Trunks and/or Adult Gohan but Trunks' hair kills it for me and Gohan lost my respect with the Saiyaman crap so I guess I'll go with Vegeta... Because I sure as hell ain't going with Yamcha.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:12 pm

No I haven't. Odd I know but I've never found self attracted to badly proportioned 2D cartoon characters from the 80's.

Gutsxgoku
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gutsxgoku » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:28 am

Bullza wrote:No I haven't. Odd I know but I've never found self attracted to badly proportioned 2D cartoon characters from the 80's.
Hm, odd that sometimes people sound condescending through the internet.

flashback0180
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by flashback0180 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:00 am

Not really ... I mean at that time there were other anime's characters from chobits ,inuyasha,green green ...etc
which had a lot of ecchi blend to it.

But if i had to pick i guess it would be Android 18 Because she's the only one to still remain hot even till GT.

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:16 pm

As a kid? Does being 30 and still having crushes on characters count as being a kid? Alright, then.

My first Dragon Ball love was Vegeta. I don't think I really found him attractive physically, I just fell for his (bad) attitude. He doesn't have the pretty face that I usually go for with my anime crushes, but I guess I learned to appreciate all of him as I became more and more of a fan (I mean, his body's still hot even if his face his kinda scary).

As for a character whose looks made me fall for them, well...
Wibbs wrote:
Gyt Kaliba wrote:I think just about every female fan has or has had it bad for Trunks at some point in time. He was one of my girlfriend's favorites too. :lol:
I know right, and every time I see trunks on some girls wall it's allways the same two pictures.
Psh, the same two pictures. THIS is the picture I had as my desktop background on my computer in the late 90s:

(to this day, I STILL have no idea what the source of the picture is. I've never seen it in any of the books, and I've always wondered where it came from).

Trunks had the added bonus of being related to Vegeta, so in my mind he was automatically going to be awesome. Plus, he's clearly the cutest guy in the series.

Yamcha can make me swoon, too, but it's more conditional to his hair/clothing.
Wild, long-haired Yamcha = Oh yeah, gimme some of dat!
Bowl-cut Yamcha = HELL no. Go away, no one likes you!
It's a fleeting crush :P
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:19 pm

Likes Vegeta, Trunks, and Yamcha until his bowl cut?

You truly are Bulma!
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:45 pm

Kid Buu wrote:Likes Vegeta, Trunks, and Yamcha until his bowl cut?

You truly are Bulma!
Ha ha, I'll take that as a compliment! It implies that I'm a super genius with tons of money.

Maybe the true reason Bulma dumped Yamcha had nothing to do with cheating, but that terrible haircut. She was rocking a fabulous afro (which looked kinda ridiculous, but kinda awesome at the same time), and she just couldn't be seen with a guy with sorry looking bowl-cut.

It's weird, Trunks' hair is essentially a bowl-cut as well, but he makes it work, while Gohan and (especially) Yamcha just looked dumb. Though, truth be told, I prefer long haired Trunks over his regular style. He should've kept it that way!
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

garnetjester
Beyond Newbie

Post by garnetjester » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:56 pm

bowl cut Gohan is super cute though :lol: I think Trunks' hairstyle works because he has some sort of undercut? Maybe it doesn't make a difference since these are animated characters, but yeah, he was so hot. And that sword. Unf.
"Giving up is something we can do anytime, so let's head on, even if it's just a little bit!"

orbweaver

Post by orbweaver » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:23 am

Piccolo always did something for me. Imagine my surprise upon learning he is from a species that reproduces asexually. Ah, well.

Smochi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Smochi » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:20 am

soulnova wrote: My ovaries exploded. :shifty:
Maybe I live under a rock, but I have never used this phrase and am going to steal the HECK of out it.

Since I watched DBZ since I was like 7, I always saw the characters more as family members and while I really loved them, didn't really see them through a romantic scope. Then again, I really didn't view anyone as a romantic interest until I was like 16, so I'm a weirdo.

Captain Sauza
Beyond Newbie

Post by Captain Sauza » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:00 am

No, but I have a Japanese friend whose mom resembles Chichi and I always found her attractive.
"We are Cooler's Armored Squadron!" *performs Sauza fighting pose*

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:46 am

Captain Sauza wrote:No, but I have a Japanese friend whose mom resembles Chichi and I always found her attractive.
Lucky bastard.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:07 pm

Ok, I have no idea how this works, being "anti" like Piccolo, but how can people be attracted to fictional animated characters......? The mind boggles at the thought....
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Smochi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Smochi » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:23 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:Ok, I have no idea how this works, being "anti" like Piccolo, but how can people be attracted to fictional animated characters......? The mind boggles at the thought....
The same way people can have crushes on celebrities or (seemingly) unobtainable individuals. I think that there's a lot more to what a person finds desireable than physical availability. If it's someone who you admire, is drawn in a way you think is attractive, or just fits the personality type you find attrctive, I could see someone falling for a cartoon character. Mostly though, they still recognize that they're a cartoon. It's the thought "what if they were real?" that I think allows entertaining the thought of such crushes. Not a desire to actually have a 2D monster living with them. XD

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:00 pm

Smochi wrote:
Valerius Dover wrote:Ok, I have no idea how this works, being "anti" like Piccolo, but how can people be attracted to fictional animated characters......? The mind boggles at the thought....
The same way people can have crushes on celebrities or (seemingly) unobtainable individuals. I think that there's a lot more to what a person finds desireable than physical availability. If it's someone who you admire, is drawn in a way you think is attractive, or just fits the personality type you find attrctive, I could see someone falling for a cartoon character. Mostly though, they still recognize that they're a cartoon. It's the thought "what if they were real?" that I think allows entertaining the thought of such crushes. Not a desire to actually have a 2D monster living with them. XD
Hmm, that makes sense....To me, it's ok when it's like this, I just think it can get out of hand on deviantart for example..... :sick:
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Smochi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Smochi » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:57 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:
Smochi wrote:
Hmm, that makes sense....To me, it's ok when it's like this, I just think it can get out of hand on deviantart for example..... :sick:

Yeah, internet fandoms can definitely exacerbate this. I think it's because on the internet you're fairly free of worrying about your crush reflecting on you as a person badly. In addition, you can be anybody, including someone who 'deserves' your idol. Because fandoms can congregate to particular sites, there may be a lot of people who like a certain character. Because people can get jealous easily, there is always a competition for who deserves the character more, which sort of results in the crazy stuff you see on DA.

That's just me though.

MediaFanGirl93
Beyond Newbie

Post by MediaFanGirl93 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:10 pm

I remember this tweet going around on Twitter and it said something like "Don't lie females, you know you had a crush on Goku when you were a kid." Okay, am I the only one in the minority who didn't? I liked Adult Gohan way better for some reason.

garnetjester
Beyond Newbie

Post by garnetjester » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:58 pm

I didn't have a crush on Goku, I wanted to BE Goku :P Same as with Gohan, having been a Goku fan since he was a little kid maybe had a hand in my not crushing on him though? All of my friends did think he was super hot, actually, they still do when they bring up the topic every now and then.
"Giving up is something we can do anytime, so let's head on, even if it's just a little bit!"

Gogeta8001
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gogeta8001 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:33 am

I had a crush on GT Pan when I was a kid. Of course, it was a subconscious thing because I didn't understand romance that well lol.