How would you feel about a movie that...

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Yin Yang

How would you feel about a movie that...

Post by Yin Yang » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:28 pm

Focused mostly on the non-saiyan fights. Like Yamcha, Krillin, Piccolo, and Tien.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Re: How would you feel about a movie that...

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:35 pm

It'd depend on the execution, really. I'd love to see a movie where they get more focus, but at the same time, there'd need to be some kind of reason. That's one of my issues with movies 10 and 11, other than it being more Broly. While it's nice to see some of the lesser main characters (though it's mostly Goten and Trunks who would become pretty major anyway) get to do things is interesting, but it leaves a really big question of why in the world nobody else can sense what's going on. So there'd just need to be some kind of reason for why Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, Piccolo, and so on aren't doing anything to help.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Mr. Piccolo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr. Piccolo » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:23 am

I think it would be a great idea but it will be tough to make if the movie is meant to take place after the end of the manga. This is why I think prequels are the way to move the franchise in more interesting directions. Few characters are relevant in terms of fighting after the Buu saga, so it will be tough to make a movie with the characters you mention unless somehow the movie is not all about fighting and I don’t see that happening because the franchise, for better or for worse, has become identified by its fighting component.
Kami is my co-pilot.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:55 am

Actually sounds pretty awesome.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

AnzuMazaki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by AnzuMazaki » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:26 am

Would I ever? :D

I would love to see new animation of the humans and Piccolo as main characters :D
I miss seeing them in action, I don't care what Toriyama says they deserve to be in the limelight again, same with Bardock.
Wishes she can change her name to YamchaFan (her name everywhere else)
Obssessed with the Earthlings and the original DB anime

YamchaFan's deviantART: https://yamchafan91.deviantart.com/
YamchaFan's Fanart Tumblr: https://yamchafanart.tumblr.com/
YamchaFan's YouTube (where you can see MikuMikuDance Videos): https://www.youtube.com/user/MihoNosaka

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:25 pm

The circumstances would have to be a bit contrived, (how do you keep the Saiyans from Deus Ex Machina the villains), but it would be worth watching.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:53 pm

It would be nice, but I'm not sure if it would ever happen since the humans in DBZ are not popular enough to support their own movie.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:00 pm

I would love, love, to see a future entry that focuses on the B-team dealing with some low-level threat.

It's one of the reasons I enjoy the Garlic Jr. arc and movie 11.

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:08 pm

Considering that movies and such have already portrayed the stronger humans as still being pretty much on par with the base Saiyans even after the Cell Games (Trunks and Tenshinhan were depicted as fighting pretty evenly in the Bojack movie, until Trunks goes Super Saiyan and then he just has no chance whatsoever), all you'd really need to do is have someone on the villain's side figure out a way to disable the Super Saiyan transformations. Suddenly the Saiyans no longer have that massive power advantage and somebody else can be the big hero for once.

It would probably work best if set between Cell and Buu--the Cell saga was the last time that Krillin and Yamcha really trained much, it was in the post-Cell-saga movie where Tenshinhan and (base) Trunks were shown as equals, and if you set it in this period there's no Goku to save the day and Trunks is also not around since he went back to his own time, leaving Vegeta and Gohan as the only Saiyan fighters. And we know Gohan focused on his studies during this gap and didn't train/fight much if at all, so pretty much the only Saiyan likely to get involved would be Vegeta.

Piccolo would probably end up taking Goku's "main fighter" role, of course, since he's the only "Super Saiyan-level" character who wouldn't actually be affected by the loss of Super Saiyan forms. So it'd probably turn out more along the lines of the earlier parts of the series, with Piccolo being the guy who has to beat the main villain and the humans (and possibly base-form-only Vegeta) all fighting weaker minions or teaming up to help Piccolo out in his fight later on. Since the movies tend to reuse aspects of the series, maybe it could end up with Piccolo winning due to the others doing something to distract the villain and give Piccolo an opening (like with Gohan vs. Cell, except... not a big beam struggle with Vegeta and the others distracting the bad guy with blasts, that'd just be too close.)

Friezacooler
Regular

Post by Friezacooler » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:04 pm

That is what the 2nd dragonball movie was about Krillin, Piccolo and Gohan, where the stars. Any movie with Mr Roshi, Krillin or Kami would be gold 8).

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:33 pm

It would have to take place before the events of Z for it to make sense
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Eddie
Advanced Regular

Post by Eddie » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:41 pm

It could work pretty well if set either pre or post 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai. Or we could just get a sports movie about the Taitans. I'd watch that.

WarriorRace

Post by WarriorRace » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:42 pm

It would be great to see the lesser characters finally get some screen time. They've been really underused since the Frieza saga basically. But it would be really hard to do. They'd have to find a reason for the Saiyans to not be around and have a villain weak enough for the humans to handle. Or they could do a flashback type movie or something like when they simulated planet Vegeta on Kami's Lookout.

flashback0180
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by flashback0180 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:35 am

That would be awesome .

When was the last time we saw any one of those guys win a fight ... their main purpose is to get beaten up to show how strong the villens are.

It would be cool if the other Z warriors learned Kaio-ken technic ,I mean Goku doesn't even use it anymore ...

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:39 am

Evil scientist finds way to replicate heart virus effects through a gas, incapacitating the Saiyans, leaves non Saiyan warriors to fight the enemy.

Thats all I got.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:05 am

KentalSSJ6 wrote:Evil scientist finds way to replicate heart virus effects through a gas, incapacitating the Saiyans, leaves non Saiyan warriors to fight the enemy.

Thats all I got.
I'm pretty sure that virus also affected humans.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:06 am

It'd be enjoyable if it was done right, but has so much potential to be terrible. Either it'd need to be a lower scale so that the other characters have no reason to get involved or a very good reason why the stronger characters can't. Even if it could manage this I'd prefer they didn't. I don't see a movie starring such characters to bring anything but pandering, or any reason to use them over the prominent fighters we have now.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:23 am

I'd like to see a Piccolo-Gohan film in the 1 year wait for the Saiyans, and a movie like that for the humans.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.