Why is King Cold so huge?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Why is King Cold so huge?

Post by RandomGuy96 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:12 pm

What's with his enormous size? He's like ten feet tall and bulky as hell. None of his relatives are anywhere near his size, even in their largest forms.
Last edited by RandomGuy96 on Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Kaboom

Re: Why is King Cold so huge?

Post by Kaboom » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:33 pm

Perhaps their species just continues to grow larger and larger with age. He's Freeza's dad, and big brother Coola is also taller than Freeza. Combine that idea with him being — if you ask me — in his equivalent of Freeza's also-very-tall 2nd form, and his massive height and size is explained.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:54 pm

Maybe he's pretty average and Freeza's just short? Maybe he's pretty big, Freeza's kind of small and Coola's actually average? It's hard to come up with a definite conclusion when we only see three members of a particular species.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:13 pm

Well, he's a mutant just like Freeza, right? Who says that they have to have the exact same mutation?

I mean, look at the X-Men. Most of them are human, yet the majority of them have different mutations. Maybe Cold's is to be freakishly big in addition to being really strong, while Freeza's is just to be really, really strong.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:17 am

I always figured it was just due to a "continued growth with age" sort of thing. The little brother is a runt, the big brother's taller but still average-human sized, and papa's enormous, which is probably a good estimate of how their ages compare to each other too (Cold being about twice as old as Cooler and three times as old as Freeza, maybe?) And Kuriza from Neko Majin Z is even runtier than Freeza, which would make sense considering that he's Freeza's son and all. Chilled seemed to be pretty short too (maybe similar to Freeza's 1st form size?), so presumably he wasn't very old either.

This seems especially likely now that we know Freeza only had one parent, King Cold. Which could mean that he laid or spit up an egg, similar to what we see Namekians do. Namekians also seem to grow continually throughout their entire lives... so maybe Freeza's species has some features in common with Namekians. He did seem to be a whole lot more insulting toward the Saiyans than he was to the Namekians he met--I guess maybe he didn't look down on Nameks quite as much because he saw some resemblances to his own kind in them and thought "well, I still don't give half a crap about them, but they must be better than those stupid monkeys." XD

As for his appearance--yeah, he does resemble Freeza's 2nd form, so being huge makes sense; 2nd-form Freeza was the size of Piccolo or a bit bigger, after all, and Freeza was a runt in his true form. If the "2nd-form-like" form King Cold shows up in is his true form, then their species must have a very wide variety of appearances--Chilled resembles Freeza's 1st form and Cold resembles his 2nd, while Cooler has a similar true form to Freeza... and that's all within one family, over who-knows-how-many years. Maybe there were some at some point in history who were born looking like Freeza's freakish 3rd form, too. And if this is how they work, then I'm guessing Freeza patterned his suppressed forms after others he knew (2nd form devoted to Dad, of course... maybe 1st form patterned after Chilled or another similar-looking distant ancestor... and who knows about the 3rd), since we know those forms are something he had to develop rather than being born with... so deciding how they looked wouldn't be too much of a stretch.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:17 am

I always believe that he is in his second form and that he can control his ki that he can stick in any forms that he wants.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Legendary Saiya-Jin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Legendary Saiya-Jin » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:36 am

Is Cooler stated to be part of the original, manga timeline or something?

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:50 am

Legendary Saiya-Jin wrote:Is Cooler stated to be part of the original, manga timeline or something?
No, he's not mentioned in the manga or anything, and while I'm sure one could make his first movie "fit" if they wanted it to, I don't recall if it's one of the very few movies included in recent event timelines and such. However, Toriyama DID actually create and design the character, although it was so long ago that he may have forgotten doing so.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:43 am

I hadn't thought of the idea of him being huge because of his age, but I quite like it actually. Just a little more fleshing out of Freeza's not-race.

Otherwise yeah, physical mutation.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:06 am

I don't think it has to do with his race. People's weight and size just vary hugely like that in the DB universe. Guymao is HUGE too, but Chi-Chi, Gohan and Pan aren't. Nappa and Vegeta are part of the same race but one is a giant mass of muscles and the other is a small dwarf (in the Saiyan Saga). Kame-sennin and Fortuneteller Baba are brother and sister.

xmysticgohanx
Regular

Post by xmysticgohanx » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:07 pm

Kaboom wrote:
Legendary Saiya-Jin wrote:Is Cooler stated to be part of the original, manga timeline or something?
No, he's not mentioned in the manga or anything, and while I'm sure one could make his first movie "fit" if they wanted it to, I don't recall if it's one of the very few movies included in recent event timelines and such. However, Toriyama DID actually create and design the character, although it was so long ago that he may have forgotten doing so.
Are you talking about this?: http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon_Ball_Timeline
Canon is Jaco, Dragon Ball except for EoZ, Dragon Ball Super anime and manga (both are separate canons)
Kai >>> Z
Current Roshi/Kulilin >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SSJ3 Gotenks

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:45 pm

xmysticgohanx wrote:
Kaboom wrote:
Are you talking about this?: http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon_Ball_Timeline
Pretty sure he meant the Chozenshuu timeline

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:18 pm

I remember Coola was not shown in Freeza's family tree in the Daizenshuu and he was not even mention in AT's recent interview. In AT's world of Dragon Ball, Freeza and King Cold are the only members of their family. I also recall Neko Majin Z is stated in the recent DB guide books that it takes place it's own dimension from Dragon Ball.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

RancorSnp
Not-So-Newbie

Post by RancorSnp » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:56 am

I don't think that King Cold is really that much bigger than furiza.
All body features of King Cold make us believe that this is actually his second form, his appearance is exactly the same as furizas, taking that into consideration, they should be about the same size. We don't know if he normally stays in this form, or he just transformed before coming to the Earth, he might been fighting someone who defeated his son's final form, so transforming woud be the most logical.

Fun fact I find a bout this character that in his second form, king Cold was "About the same power" as Furiza in his final (actually a little stronger, because of his mechanical parts.). Assuming that every transformation in this race multiplies our power by the same multiplier, King cold has the potential power of 120(? If I remember right) Furizas, that is actually quite a lot.

TheOverlyMadHatter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheOverlyMadHatter » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:02 am

I always figured he could control his power better than Freeza could, so he stayed in the "second" form. He has all the physical traits that point to that being the case(human-like face, horns standing vertically, tall in stature etc.). There's no way to know if he has lesser or superior forms, though it seems members of Freeza's race have to "train" or develop to regress into the former. But as others have mentioned, humanoids vary in size, too. It shouldn't be too much of a stretch for Freeza to be naturally short and for King Cold to be naturally gargantuan. Then there's the possibility that they continuously increase in size with age, and that of him simply being mutated like most of his army.

DieHard
Banned

Post by DieHard » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:16 pm

RancorSnp wrote: All body features of King Cold make us believe that this is actually his second form, his appearance is exactly the same as furizas, taking that into consideration, they should be about the same size.
An image from daizenshuu 4 reveals Cold is significantly taller than Freeza 2th form.

RancorSnp wrote: Fun fact I find a bout this character that in his second form, king Cold was "About the same power" as Furiza in his final (actually a little stronger, because of his mechanical parts.). Assuming that every transformation in this race multiplies our power by the same multiplier, King cold has the potential power of 120(? If I remember right) Furizas, that is actually quite a lot.
If I remember it correctly,the anime implies that cold was stronger,but in the manga freeza says he is the #1 of the universe in front of cold.And if cold could transform,he would have done so instead of tricking trunks,right?:wink:

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:30 pm

That page is hardly close to scale with most of those images.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

DieHard
Banned

Post by DieHard » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:04 am

Okay,so check the manga.Cold has twice of freeze height who is as tall as vegeta,and you can see freeza 2th form is not so big when he is fighting gohan.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:38 am

This one here is even bigger, and he's only sitting.

some_weirdGuy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by some_weirdGuy » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:13 am

Cooler's design, which also looks like second form frieza minus the horns, tends to indicate that despite his similarity to second form frieza, Kold was probably in his 'true' form rather than a suppressed form(frieza's second form may just have been 'modelled' after his father... or you could go for the OOC explanation 'toriyama is lazy and reuses designs' XD). While saying 'he is only second form but was still said to be just as strong as true form frieza' does well to play up an otherwise underrated character[who I personally quite liked], I'm kinda leading more towards it not being the case.

((though an argument could be made that he was intended to be able to transform and was indeed stronger, but he didn't get to use it just to further demonstrate how trunks doesn't muck around - so when he says these next android villains are gonna be trouble you really know it's serious))

As for why he was so big - to give him a sense of authority, to make him appear more intimidating, to add a better contrast between himself and frieza*, and because its cool.
ICly there isn't any reason given, he's just a big guy. ;) (like Ox king) but the one about him being bigger cause he's older also works quite nicely.

*(just as Toriyama did for Nappa and Vegeta)
Like collab writing and enjoy the universe of Dragonball? Check out World of Dragonball: Souls