How long can Goku survive without food ?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

flashback0180
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

How long can Goku survive without food ?

Post by flashback0180 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:05 am

Can he survive longer than a normal human .

And if he was about to die because of this , if he gets KI from someone will he survive longer ?

Retan
Advanced Regular

Re: How long can Goku survive without food ?

Post by Retan » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:49 pm

I think knowing saiyans that they would do worse surviving without food. The ki question is an interesting one though, as isn't Ki your life force after all. I never figured out how barrowing someone else's life force benefits anyone, but it is dragonball soo.... yes? :lol:

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:28 am

Going by what we see in Dragon Ball, I'd say that Goku can't survive without food as long as a normal human. He probably has to have way more food to sustain himself due to his Saiyan physiology and his level of activity.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:43 am

Doesn't Goku mention something about sparring 24 straight with Gohan while in the RoSaT. It happens when he accident hits Gohan too hard and mentions anything over 24 hours straight is abit much.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

sekzee
Beyond Newbie

Post by sekzee » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:03 pm

AT had to do away with Goku's hunger affecting his power due to the seriousness of the Z chapters.

Or maybe it is something he learned to control at Kami's Place while training with Popo.

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:21 pm

While we have cases of people surviving for a month or more starving... I would have to say Saiyans are not so lucky. Saiyans seems to be able to eat anything and I think it is an adaptation to survive given their caloric requirements. One day or two without food and Goku was shown to be almost completely out of energy. I would say their metabolism wouldn't pass the 2 weeks mark without dying.
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:46 pm

After losing to 18 Vegeta stood on a mountain top for 3 days straight.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:09 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote:After losing to 18 Vegeta stood on a mountain top for 3 days straight.
He had just eaten a senzu bean, which equates to 10 days' worth of food.
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:52 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
goku the krump dancer wrote:After losing to 18 Vegeta stood on a mountain top for 3 days straight.
He also has a bladder of steel... and mild constipation. No bathroom for 3 days? Craziness.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:07 am

DarkPrince_92 wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:
He also has a bladder of steel... and mild constipation. No bathroom for 3 days? Craziness.
Huh, guess I have a Saiyan bladder as well.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

Retan
Advanced Regular

Post by Retan » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:34 am

He also has a bladder of steel... and mild constipation. No bathroom for 3 days? Craziness.[/quote]

Huh, guess I have a Saiyan bladder as well.[/quote]

:o Incredible, your my hero... no seriously.

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:15 am

I think Goku could probably survive close to 6 hours without food, after which he'd probably succumb to extreme hunger.

But no, seriously, the Saiyan metabolism must be ridiculous. No quantity of training or physical activity in real-world estimations could burn the astronomical calorific figures of the food that Goku and Vegeta are shown to eat. I guess being a Super Saiyan means you've gotta eat a lot...
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:20 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
Weren't their similar circumstances on Namek though? I remember something being said that Vegeta had no rest between all his running around, aside from the rejuvenation chamber I suppose and even then days had went by both before and after said moment before he finally decided to take a nap just before Freeza approached them.

All that being said though, He had nothing to eat the entire time until Goku gave him the senzu.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:45 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:
Weren't their similar circumstances on Namek though? I remember something being said that Vegeta had no rest between all his running around, aside from the rejuvenation chamber I suppose and even then days had went by both before and after said moment before he finally decided to take a nap just before Freeza approached them.

All that being said though, He had nothing to eat the entire time until Goku gave him the senzu.
Nothing ever says that he didn't eat. He just didn't sleep. Same with Gohan, Krillin, and Bulma. Logic dictates that they ate something, since nothing ever says that they didn't.

Or you could just assume that Vegeta was so driven by his obsession with beating Freeza that he managed to ignore hunger, and it just hadn't caught up with him by the time he ate a senzu bean. I doubt that though.
Malik_DBNA wrote:

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:36 pm

I guess its all up to our own jurisdiction then, I mean nothing says he did eat either. Namekians can survive off water alone and the only place with any hospitable food would be Freeza's ship and that place was obviously a no go.

As we know, like Goku, Vegeta is not above eating obscure things but we never see him munching on a dead namekian either.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:59 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote:I guess its all up to our own jurisdiction then, I mean nothing says he did eat either. Namekians can survive off water alone and the only place with any hospitable food would be Freeza's ship and that place was obviously a no go.

As we know, like Goku, Vegeta is not above eating obscure things but we never see him munching on a dead namekian either.
As I see it, eating falls under the same jurisdiction as breathing, sleeping, and going to the bathroom. It's a given that unless specifically said otherwise, everyone does these things. The author doesn't have to mention it.
Malik_DBNA wrote:

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:18 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote:I guess its all up to our own jurisdiction then, I mean nothing says he did eat either. Namekians can survive off water alone and the only place with any hospitable food would be Freeza's ship and that place was obviously a no go.

Vegeta did eat. In the chapter where he picks out Krillin and Gohan on their way to The Eldest, you see the skeleton of a Namekian fish/animal, implying he had eaten it.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:22 pm

I just checked, you're right.. Well I guess thats that then.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!

flashback0180
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by flashback0180 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:19 pm

...i just remembered something.

The Space pods , Vegeta and Nappa took months to get to earth and there is no proof that it has food in it.
I mean Infant Goku was sent in the ship he obviously didn't know how to operate it, even if it did have a food option he wouldn't know how to use it.

Same goes for infant Brolly and Paragus, They would have drifted in space for months before he reached some form of habitable land.

I don't remember but i think Gohan was Straveing for a day or two after Piccolo took him

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:42 pm

flashback0180 wrote:...i just remembered something.

The Space pods , Vegeta and Nappa took months to get to earth and there is no proof that it has food in it.
I mean Infant Goku was sent in the ship he obviously didn't know how to operate it, even if it did have a food option he wouldn't know how to use it.

Same goes for infant Brolly and Paragus, They would have drifted in space for months before he reached some form of habitable land.

I don't remember but i think Gohan was Straveing for a day or two after Piccolo took him
The Saiyans are in stasis during long travels, most likely. With no activity, there's no need for any but the most basic metabolic functions. Think of it as bears hibernating.

We don't know how long Broly and Paragus drifted.
Malik_DBNA wrote: